BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my m5 going into dealership on wed to be chiped.well let you all know about the performce thurs.this is the first din chip put in m5 at comp.sports cars ingreenwich ct.

·
Registered
257 Posts
flem,

How did the software upgrade from Dinan work out? I spoke to Dinan...

Just as the other post on the board, they said no power gains, but increase in rev limit by 300, removal of top speed limit, and something about increased throttle response.

Forgeting the placebo effect of knowing you have new software, what do you think and was it worth $400 plus labor?

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it a tough to tell,but i will say in 1st gear its helpfull with the extra revs.just had phone installed and love it with the use of the buttons on the steering.maybe save 400+ and but towards the phone

·
Registered
10 Posts
i agree with the increased revs in 1st gear it really makes the car more enjoyable to HIT IT off the line and i DO think that the car feels faster all the way around. where as i looked down at my spedo b4 and say high sixtys i now look down and see low eighties car definately FEELS faster and is MORE fun to drive now. Would totally spend 400 dollars Also, just installed a V1 radar detector and i love it---getting phone next week

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Has anyone else looked at other brands of chips besides Dinan?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How does raising the rev limit by 300 effect the reliability and longevity of the engine?

Also, I am interested to hear the reasons why one chip has claimed a power increase of 8-10%, is this provable, or is this just measured at the increased revs between 7000 and 7300.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes,comp cars on rt1.the phone is a mot startac which is great and i love it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Gustav,

I am very interested in how an increase of 8-10%, which equals 32-40 hp was achieved. Dinan, after much work, was unable to find any gains... and previous experience says that this is unlikely. So where is it coming from? The fuel/spark curves (unlikely to give much)? Something with VANOS? Although BMW said the engine is easily capable of more power, I personally believe that something with cams and a new program to handle them is most likely... not just the computer. Tell us more

Thanks,

Dan (the Skeptic)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am assuming that Schrick will make a nice set of cams for the S62 motor at some point. A more radical cam profile combined with a finely tuned ECU/VANOS should easily be able to squeeze out another 50 - 70hp, IMHO.

Originally posted by daniel:
Gustav,

I am very interested in how an increase of 8-10%, which equals 32-40 hp was achieved. Dinan, after much work, was unable to find any gains... and previous experience says that this is unlikely. So where is it coming from? The fuel/spark curves (unlikely to give much)? Something with VANOS? Although BMW said the engine is easily capable of more power, I personally believe that something with cams and a new program to handle them is most likely... not just the computer. Tell us more

Thanks,

Dan (the Skeptic)

·
Registered
2 Posts
PowerChip here in Melbourne OZ have a chip upgrade(not a chip replacement) that increases Power(kW) from the standard 294kW to 313kW and Torque(Nm) from the standard 500Nm to 525Nm. It also removes the speed limiter. It gives slightly richer fuel mixture and spark advance, smoother idle,acceleration etc. It doesn't appear on their web site yet but you could email them I guess.I'm considering the upgrade for my Carbon Black/Black 1999. http://www.powerchip.com.au

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts