BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw an ad for a new series of synthetic Castrol oils called 'Castrol EDGE'. Here in Sweden they're available as 5W-30, 10W-60 and 0W-40. (The two last are named "sport".)
I wonder whether they are technically new products; I believe it's just rebadging by the marketing department?

Castrol's UK website states:
"BMW approved and specified
Only oil to pass BMW ‘M’ series test for engine protection at high temperatures and extreme conditions "

...whereas Castrol Sweden recommends it for motorsport engines and modified/tuned older vehicles. (TWS is already available here.)

What's you opinion?
/Patrik

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
[email protected]
I was at a MEKONOMEN-shop yesterday to order som REDLINE D4 ATF-gearbox-oil for my M5 -
there I saw the new CASTROL-EDGE on sale and took a broschure -
as you know Castrol TWS 10W60 did also not exist when the E34 M5 was still under production -
-
as time goes by and there might be progress in technical development ??
I have the same question as you =
does CASTROL EDGE 10W60 replace CASTROL TWS 10W60 and should we living in 'cold-countries' rather use CASTROL EDGE 0W40 because of 'cold start'-references ???
-
(have you put the question to -Johan- in the 'autopower'-forum ???)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so no clue from Mekonomen or the Castrol broschure either?
How about the Redline gearbox oil, is it better than running Castrol?

Good question re. 0W-40. They call it 'Sport' which suggests it's aimed for performance engines. But oil consumption in the S38 will probably be greater than with TWS I believe.

@Karl: I've posted to Autopower.

/Patrik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts