BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This month I am going to be getting my drivers license, and soon going to be looking for a car. Right now my dad has a 2003 M5 which Ive driven a lot of times, and all I can say is I LOVE IT. So I was going to go for a 01-03 5 series, and I was thinking of a 530i, with later on adding on the M Tech body kit, since the regular bumpers dont look as nice. I was wondering if its going to be a car with a lot of expenses cause the M5 costs too much than what I can handle for maintenance. I was wondering if this would be a good idea of a first car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Congrats !

I would say find an E39 with the the M Tech bits on it, tastefully done preferably too, that way I reckon you will save money big time than buying bits and getting them fitted etc.

Don't you think the E39 is a bit big for a teenager ? What about an E46 Coupe....?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My friend has a 530i and we all love it it will need maintenance but it's not as bad as the M5 and this kid beats it to hell. It takes abuse and It's not too big its actually the perfect balance between safety in a big sedan and a smaller feel. I would go for the 530i but if a 540i is financially available go for that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been thinking about the e46 but theres just something about the e39 that I love.

Also I have thought about a 540i M. But yet again I'm mostly worried about maintenance costs.

But a Manual 540 M is the closest thing to the real beast :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
One of my friends in high school got an E39 540i for his first car. That car was great, roomy, comfortable, reliable, etc. The E39 is an incredibly utilitarian vehicle. I would recommend a bigger rather than smaller car for a first timer.

Find a nice E39 with some well done mods on bimmerforums

I played a lot of golf with my buddies so it was great to fit a couple guys and golf bags.
Or [email protected] hookers:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You have a high statistical probability of crashing your first car. The odds increase exponentially with a 400hp rwd car, IMO.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My wife has a '06 E46 Convertible, had it a bit over 1 year, nice car, but let me tell you, after getting the E39 recently, even though it is 3 years older and has about double the miles, I would go for the E39 sedan in a heartbeat.

If you can find a car with the folding rear seat you can haul a lot with the car when needed.

The e39 is such a decent car, kind of end of an era IMHO.

Newer 5 series are nice, I just do not like the feel as much.

If you can find a nice 540 or I would even consider a 540iT if you can find one.

Nothing beats a sleeper hotrod wagon!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If you love BMWs and you have your heart set out for one as a first car, I'd recommend an E30 or E36, nothing more. Master your skills there then take your dad's M5 when he gets bored of it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you love BMWs and you have your heart set out for one as a first car, I'd recommend an E30 or E36, nothing more. Master your skills there then take your dad's M5 when he gets bored of it.
Oh what I would do if my dad passes down his M5 to me. I'd have a heart attack! :M5rev:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
To answer the OP's question, the E39 530 is an excellent all around car. I've had one since new, the average out of pocket cost after warranty has been around $1200/10K miles, excluding oil changes. I was so impressed with the 530, I decided to get an E39 M5, even as the E60 M5 also became affordable. If you're a teenager, insurance premium will be a big factor in cost. Insurance companies rank cars in tiers and charge higher premium for higher tier horsepowered cars. 530 being 225 ponies, will net significantly less premium than an M5 with 400 horses, especially for a newly minted driver. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
These cars (especially at high miles which most will be now) are NOT cheap to own as compared to your average Japanese sedan of a similar age/mileage. My wife's 530i has 117K or so miles on it now and things just go on these cars a lot sooner than they do on their Asian counterparts. My son and I looked at used E46's a while back (as his second car when he wrecked my old E36), and talked to more than one young seller who was in over his head on the car regarding maintenance/repairs. Used E46s and E39s are cheap enough now that they attract drivers who go into them expecting Civic style ownership costs and end up disappointed. Oh, and we got my son a Ford Focus instead (OK, OK, it was an SVT so we didn't capitulate entirely to the mediocre).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I say get an E30 or E46 M3.
I would but all the M series have higher maintenance costs.

So far I found a 03 540i with 26k miles, for 18k. I emailed the seller for a carfax if he responds I might give it a go.

I hope more people respond to this post because as a first time buyer this is really helping me out a lot!

Thanks guys!:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have to admit kid, you've got great taste. That being said, the e39 530 would be a fantastic "first" car. When I was wrapping up high school the Beast had just debuted, and it took about 10 years to get the one I wanted, and needless to say it's been fantastic. However, given your situation, between maintenance, insurance, and whatever else may happen, the 530 is certainly a smart pick. As someone who grew up on inline sixes, rear wheel drive, and being the first of his friends with a license, this is certainly a great way to go. I understand and respect the calls for an e46 m3, but your insurance company will have a field day with that and your friends will ***** all day about the lack of room. My advice: drive the hell out of the 530 for a while and then wait for the right car to move on up to a Beast or whatever else pulls at your heartstrings. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would definitely try to find a decent E34, especially if you're in California. When I was stationed in Germany a few years back, I drove a '92 525i 6-speed that had some exhaust, suspension, and engine work done. This was an excellent all-around car; Autobahn driving was amazing and city/country roads were responsive & unintrusive. If you do find a good one, parts should be widely available, and it'll be less expensive in all respects relative to the E39. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get a smaller car. You will be carting your friends around all day because it's WAY more comfortable than their coupes.

In all seriousness, the E39 non-m5 would be a great first time car, as long as you're willing to get your hands dirty :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
This month I am going to be getting my drivers license, and soon going to be looking for a car. Right now my dad has a 2003 M5 which Ive driven a lot of times, and all I can say is I LOVE IT. So I was going to go for a 01-03 5 series, and I was thinking of a 530i, with later on adding on the M Tech body kit, since the regular bumpers dont look as nice. I was wondering if its going to be a car with a lot of expenses cause the M5 costs too much than what I can handle for maintenance. I was wondering if this would be a good idea of a first car.

Any suggestions?
Congrats.
Isn't the insurance premium an issue?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Get a smaller car. You will be carting your friends around all day because it's WAY more comfortable than their coupes.

In all seriousness, the E39 non-m5 would be a great first time car, as long as you're willing to get your hands dirty :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
that was my reasoning for having a two door car with almost no backseat for all my cars up till the M5. married with kids I wanted a fun car I could take the whole bunch in on road trips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts