Michelin boots...I like this

Titanium/All leather

Nick

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nick,

This explanation was posted awhile back on the www.bimmer.org board:

"I took our new M5 in for its 1200-mile service. The service advisor called and let me know that, for 3/00 production and later E39 M5s (and Z8s (-: ), the piston rings have been redesigned to permit the use of 5W-30.
As you can imagine, I was quite surprised by this, so I asked to see the service bulletin. The bulletin is number 11 08 98 as revised in June 2000.

The exact quote is:

'M5 (S62 Engine) produced from 3/00 and all Z8s
The S62 engine incorporates redesigned piston
rings from 3/00 which permit the use of BMW
High-Performance Synthetic Engine Oil 5W-30'

The bulletin continues to emphasize that earlier M5s require the Castrol 10W-60, "to avoid engine damage". It says that it's OK to top up with lower-viscosity oils, but only if the 10W-60 is not available, and that oil consumption will increase if you do so."

Put in "oil" in the search engine on this and the other boards and you'll probably get more info than you want/need.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My car (built 3/00) presumably has them, and on Kelleners dyno it managed numbers equal to earlier cars they'd done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No info on the power, I am sure BMW would not say anything +ve or -ve. I will find out anyway next time I am at the dealership. Judging by earlier posts BMW are pretty conservative with the numbers.

Boy this car if fun fun fun

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just checked my car. The build date on the door jamb says 3/00, but the sticker on the radiator says 10W60. The production change must have been some time during the month itself. But then again, I still haven't used any oil since I took delivery April 7th.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My car was built 4/00, and has the 10W60 sticker on the radiator. I guess BMW just didn't change the sticker, when they switched to the new piston rings. Despite the new rings, mine has used 1 quart in the first 1600 miles.

Marc

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
My 04/00 has not burned any oil at all with 946 miles showing. My understanding is that if you drive the car within the breakin paramenters, the oil consumption will be low. The salesman at Crevier BMW in Santa Ana says that he has only seen one M5 out of 40 that they sold in model year 2000 that had an oil consumption issue. BTW Avis Blue will not be the same color in 2001. It has a new name and a slightly different color.

Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
I finally got around to checking the oil sticker. My production was 6/00 and the sticker says 5W-30. I had mine in for its 1,200 mi. service last weekend. I was already up to 1,400 miles at that point and am now over 1,700. Not a drop of oil added...yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Actually I think it's max 5,500 RPM, 137 MPH (220 KPH)and no full throttle. At least that's what the sticker on my windshield says.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by Tom M:
I finally got around to checking the oil sticker. My production was 6/00 and the sticker says 5W-30. I had mine in for its 1,200 mi. service last weekend. I was already up to 1,400 miles at that point and am now over 1,700. Not a drop of oil added...yet.
ARGHHHHH. Mine was also built in 6/00, but it is still stuck at Port Jersey, NJ and is not at the dealership. It arrived in the US about a 10 days ago, and they said there are so many cars in front of mine to be shipped out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kuzibimun,

That's the (one) benefit of living in NJ. You're closer to the port of entry. I'm assuming mine was early 6/00 production (I don't know the build week.) I picked it up 7/1/00 at the dealership in North Jersey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts