BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished my first week of ownership with my beast, I am constantly watching out for other drivers crowding into my lane or parking too close to me. I know it is just me being paranoid and wanting to baby my car. When does it stop (lol). I figure after a couple of weeks it will pass (or not). Has anyone else felt the same way when they first picked up their baby?:3:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have relaxed ever so slightly while driving my beast, however, I'll never take it to a destination unless I know I'll have good parking to choose from. I try to put it in perspective that $hit is gonna happen and the car can be fixed but dang I don't want anything to happen.

I almost got slammed into at an intersection a few months ago....that gave me all the encouragement I needed to get off my arse and get a second car my daily driver and winter ride. I will say that I never want to own a car that is a trailor queen that never sees the road...these cars are too good to let sit idle, however, it's also too darn good in my eyes to not take the upmost care in ensuring it continues to remain in pristine condition.

2000 Anthracite M5...18k miles and absolutely perfect...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I relaxed after about six months. Then....

....one day i parked my car at the airport. I was late so i parked as close to the terminal as i could get. Came back next day and car had been pushed onto a traffic island. No witnesses. Needed new hood, headlight and bumper :mad:

Never relax and never park next to coupes (big doors) or old bangers.

To be safe i now park so far away from where i am going that i was probably closer before i left home

·
Registered
336 Posts
It never ends at least not for me. I am fortunate enought that I have a company car to use as a beater (if you consider a Ford Taurus fortunate!). But, i'm always parking as far away as possible. My wife says we should just walk to the mall! If you have to valet I always give the guy $10 when I give him the car and ask him to put it in a "safe spot". Has worked so far. Just last night had to go to a customer's holiday party. It was at one of those catering places and there had to be at least 300 people there. The line for the valet going in was huge and the parking lot was very cramped. I got very nervous. Guy comes over give him the $10 and ask him to please be kind! When I came out I started to follow the guy to see where he put my car as he kinda disappeared behind some tall hedges. To my pleasant surprise right on the other side of the hedge all by itself was my car :hihihi:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
E55AMG said:
If you have to valet I always give the guy $10 when I give him the car and ask him to put it in a "safe spot".
Twice I've just said "Here's $20 if you let ME park it HERE!

I agree that I consider parking when picking a car. I also consider how much time I will have when I arrive: if I have 30 minutes to find a 'safe' spot- fine. But if it is a drive up, park and go I get very nervous and make other arrangements.

Safe spots include: distance, spots against a wall or walkway, poles on one side, etc best spots are those 'funny' ones where there is a single space and no neighbors close....

Ard

PS Last new car this lasted 5+ years... and it never fully goes away.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I find that getting the first ding, dent or scratch during the first week lets you get past all that uncomfortable worrying. Like hitting an owl 8 hours after picking up my brand new '96 Z3. Or 3 days after buying a '04 X5, having some nutcase smash in the windsheild with a bat. Yup, gets rid of all those parking lot & valet jitters.

??????

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
louv said:
Or 3 days after buying a '04 X5, having some nutcase smash in the windsheild with a bat.
OK, can't let that one sit...

You in the car or not??

Road rage? or just 'minding your own business'? :)

Enquiring minds want to know...

A

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
ard said:
OK, can't let that one sit...

You in the car or not??

Road rage? or just 'minding your own business'? :)

Enquiring minds want to know...

A
Not... in the car.
Thanksgiving morning.
Car was parked on street overnight in front of our house.
Fairly safe neighborhood, but fairly busy street.
I came out that morning to install the AUX input kit and saw glass on the sidewalk... then I saw the windshield.

I surmised the weapon was a bat, due to the shape of impression in the glass. The swinger was most likely standing on the sidewalk. One other BMW got the same treatment in the neighborhood that night. The cops took a report over the phone, but didn't see the point in coming out to see it.

I taped up the large spiderweb (to keep more glass from falling out), and spent the next 3 hours vacuuming glass shards and glass dust from the interior. Luckily they hit the passenger side, so I could drive it to the dealer and get a new windshield put in before my wife arrived home from her trip to see her parents. It is her car, and I didn't want her to see her new baby all battered and abused.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've actually been pretty relaxed from the beginning...just try to be prudent without going too much out of the way. I do however try to avoid parking next to cars that have a child seat in the back for two reasons:

1) Small kids love to just throw the door open...they're usually not big enough to control the door very well. A lot of times they will kick the door open! Yikes!

2) Every watched a parent strapping their kid into a child seat? I've seen it numerous times where the mom or dad will inadvertently bump their open door into another car while buckling their kid up in the back!

By now ALL cars should have sliding front and rear doors - like on minivans - anyway! Or canopies - like on a fighter jet! Hey, isn't THIS supposed to be the future??

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nidan said:
I have just finished my first week of ownership with my beast, I am constantly watching out for other drivers crowding into my lane or parking too close to me. I know it is just me being paranoid and wanting to baby my car. When does it stop (lol). I figure after a couple of weeks it will pass (or not). Has anyone else felt the same way when they first picked up their baby?:3:
Feel the same - took off the 19" Hammans due to the fact that the roads around Boston are not worthy of those OR this fune ride..... I love great automotive/motorcycling engineering & look but I find myself "too" paranoid since the purchase of this immaculate, low mileage M5 - so much so that I'm now seeking another vehicle to ensure this one remains "as new", while relegating it to "good" days only

V

·
Registered
235 Posts
every time I buy a new car

I take it to the grocery store and push a shopping cart in to the bumper

I am the first person to put a scratch on the car (the bumper) and it takes the anxiety away, and allows you a much better driving pleasure, knowing that it is no longer perfect and just a car

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
marinakorp said:
every time I buy a new car

I take it to the grocery store and push a shopping cart in to the bumper

I am the first person to put a scratch on the car (the bumper) and it takes the anxiety away, and allows you a much better driving pleasure, knowing that it is no longer perfect and just a car
YOU ARE SICK.

I almost stroked out reading it...

:2:

Nah, I get my share of rock chips, etc- but door dings hold a special place- they are totally avoidable- just the product of carelessness.

·
Registered
931 Posts
A lot of people out there are just morons! Today I parked in a Doctors parking lot that room for about twenty cars. I was the only car there. I come out after the appointment and ther is a big MiniVan parked over the line close to my car and the rest of the lot empty. Why! Why! Why! grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr I closely check my car, and did not see any damage thank God. Even when you do everything you can to protect your car, someone will get you. :grrrr:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took my wife and kids shopping at teh mall the day after thanksgiving. Found the best spot I could (1 side protected) but was miserable until my daughter said we should go get my car so I would be happy again....

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wife parks the M5 in her office building basement lot, which has been restriped to accommodate more cars. With those tiny stalls, the result is pure paranoia among all the people with newer cars. She's also nervous about grossly overweight people parking next to her who NEED to open their doors real wide so they can get out of their cars. It's brutal out there, I'm telling ya.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We're lucky enough to have a reserved spot in my office basement parking lot. Most of the spots were reconfigured to hold more cars, and very, very narrow as a result. I'm sure the parking garage folks were laughing at me as I paced out each of the vacant spots to see which one was widest before signing the parking agreement!

I did some heavy negotiations with the manager to get one of two side-by-side spots between pillars. There wasn't enough room to squeeze in a third spot, fortunately. The spot to the right of us is usually occupied by a turbo Cayenne, and the driver knows enough (or is paranoid like many of us!) to park all the way to the right of his spot. Our daily driver is a MINI Cooper S, which looks ridiculously small in the spot (when parked all the way to the left, there is about 1/2 a car width between us). But it is very comforting to know that the days the Beast is parked there that we don't have to worry about dings, dents, etc.

OTHER public parking lots. . . now that's a different story. We park out in the hinterlands to avoid these problems. You should see us at Costco. . . the one nice thing is when we park in the farthest spot from the entrance, we will sometime come out to find another MINI driven by a like-minded driver parked next to us!

I HATE shopping, so it's always nice to get in and out quick - if only to make sure the cars haven't been messed with!

Norgeiron said:
My wife parks the M5 in her office building basement lot, which has been restriped to accommodate more cars. With those tiny stalls, the result is pure paranoia among all the people with newer cars. She's also nervous about grossly overweight people parking next to her who NEED to open their doors real wide so they can get out of their cars. It's brutal out there, I'm telling ya.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I guess it depends on your personality. In my case - the new car paranoia never passes. My wife thinks I care more about my car than her and the kids (definitely not so). I suppose I am car obsessed. At least I am not addicted to drugs....

·
Registered
235 Posts
you folks are seriously messed up - it is just a car.

I like to keep mine in good shape, detailed on occasions, cleaned on my whim, kept nice for the most part... it is JUST a car

I can see if we were talking about driving a vehicle that is EXTREMELY rare an irreplaceable (like a dusenberg, or a vintage ferrari, etc) but we are ultimately talking about mass production cars, where parts can be had, and things can be repaired...

most of the posts here remind me of someone who would blow up at the thought of someone getting too close to the car, let alone actuall scratching or god forbid... denting one.

I had some jerk get all in my face for violating his car's "personal" space... when pulling in for GAs, this Ford Taurus station wagon had the fuel filler on the drivers side, mine is on the passenger side... he pulls full in and I pull in front of him (our front bumpers facing each other)... sice we are both station wagons, we are a bit longer than most and have to pull up... I pull up and get within 3 inches of his bumper and get out to begin fueling

He proceeds to tell me that he did not like that I got so close to his car... I responded by stating " did I hit your car" ... no ..."so what's the problem"... well, I don't like that you got so close to my car ..."if I didn't hit your car... who cares what you think... you can still pull out, you are still getting gas, so pardon me If I don't really car what you think"

We ll you would have thought I took a big old dump on the hood of his car and stirred it with a pitchfork... the guy went balistic. Ultimately, he was posturing to get a point... don't really car what the issue was... just that things like this will lead to WAY more headaches than are needed in our lives

Drive the car, don't worry about the car, if you are worried about dings, dents, scratches... take the bus

1 - 20 of 32 Posts