BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone raced a new camaro ss. I raced one yesterday. from about 85 to 140. It seemed like it could not keep up but I was wondering if anyone else raced one and what the results were?

My car is stock with carbon filters removed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i did do some pulls with a GT500 shelby mustang, and i have a few bolt on that you can see in my Signature. Came a surprise to me that it pulled on me just about every time. But i was in the P500 mode not in P500S... i dunno if that matters.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
anyone raced a new camaro ss. I raced one yesterday. from about 85 to 140. It seemed like it could not keep up but I was wondering if anyone else raced one and what the results were?

My car is stock with carbon filters removed.
I have. My car is completely stock we went from 50 and he only lasted 2 gearshifts before traffic interfered but I had him by 3/4's of a car length. I was running P500 Sport-S5 in MDM. It was about 50 degrees outside. What configuration were you running?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p500s actually in d mode I was on the phone when it started.. he took off my car downshifted an took off the race was on.
I was on speaker phone.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
p500s actually in d mode I was on the phone when it started.. he took off my car downshifted an took off the race was on.
I was on speaker phone.
LOL! Multitasking at it's best!! :wroom:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had the opportunity to have an encounter with a Camaro SS. I was on the highway (in Mexico, you know the one) with my wife on our way home. As soon as I merge on a silver Camaro SS rolls up beside me and matches my speed. He waves, I nod, then we downshift. We're start off at about 50mph, I'm in 2nd, 3 honks and we go... He keeps up for a few seconds but after 85mph I easily pull away. At about 110mph I slow down. He catches up to me and wants more. Same result. He tries a 3rd time, no difference. At this point I've already missed my exit. He tries to get beside me a 4th time, but I signal to exit. He waves and takes off.

The Camaro SS is fast and I really like the looks over the new Mustangs and Chargers. But they're definitely no match for our beasts...

P.S. The only mods I had at the time were RPI Scoops, BMC Filter, Block off plates and Hartge lowering springs.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i did do some pulls with a GT500 shelby mustang, and i have a few bolt on that you can see in my Signature. Came a surprise to me that it pulled on me just about every time. But i was in the P500 mode not in P500S... i dunno if that matters.
Was the GT500 modified? If so, that might expain why you weren't able to keep up. I believe most GT500s out there are modified in some form and they do make a lot more power easily to boot.

·
Registered
537 Posts
One more thing, I'm pretty sure that stock vs stock a Camaro SS should lose to an M5/M6. My friend at least knew his 2010 Camaro SS wouldn't be able to keep up or touch my M5. I even think my SL55 would've also handily beaten him.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Camaros trap about 110mph stock in the 1/4 mile, and they are going to keep up better at lower speeds....we're definitely faster, but keep in mind they can always get modded and fast for cheap!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was the GT500 modified? If so, that might expain why you weren't able to keep up. I believe most GT500s out there are modified in some form and they do make a lot more power easily to boot.
I have an 07 gt500 as well as my 06 m5. I let my friend drive my gt500 while it was stock and raced it against my stock m5. Traction was a real issue for the gt500. Was about dead even until about 125-130mph and the m5 took about a 1/2 car lead. It should be a drivers race up to triple digits. My gt500 now has over 550rwhp with just bolt on's and my stock m5 gets walked bad, but that's besides the point. The m5 is still a great car and amazing for what it is and that's why it's my DD. Fast, reliable (at least it has been for me), and comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts