BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well new to me anyway!

A bit about myself first, I'm Barry from sunny Surrey and a big BMW fan! I'm a qualified BMW senior technician and have done my time in the dealer network with Hexagon BMW being the last dealer i worked for, with me now working for Munich Legends in Sussex.
I'm no stranger to forums or the BMW club scene in general and have owned all sorts of BMW's over the years, a lot of E30's, E36's, E46's a few E39's, an E28, an E34 and an E23!
I currently own an E30 325i Sport M technic 2 show queen, an E46 330i M sport touring family bus and an E36 Alpina B3 3.0 Switchtronic coupe daily run about which just replaced my E46 M3 manual coupe which i sold to free up some cash for an impending house move.

But then i got a hot tip off about this....

Its been in the pipe line for a few weeks now but I didn't want to say anything until the deal was done and money exchanged hands today soooo......

About a month ago I got a call from my mate at Spire BMW (was Hexagon where I used to work) of this recovered into the workshop as a non runner after overheating. They did a pressure test and coolant was leaking into the cylinders so then did a compression test which resulted in virtually no compression on the middle four cylinders.

Dealer then quotes worst case a new engine, X amount of money to diagnose further by removing the head and then I get the tip off customer would sell as is.

Anyway, after a bit of twoing and throwing, talk of other people with offers, we ended up agreeing a price and doing a deal.

A bit more about the car.
It's a 1991 3.6 M5 in Macau blue with, and this is what really got me moist for it, heated electric memory champagne extended leather with co pilot rear seats and electric rear head rests! Just needs heated rears and it would be the full seating package!
Oh and the fact it's only done 52k miles from new! :D

What's also mad about this one is that in 2010 Hexagon BMW sold it to the guy I bought it from, with 41k miles for wait for it..... £17000!!!! 8O :eek: :eek:

Other options it has are,

S302A Alarm system
S303A BURGLAR AL. WITH TILT ALARM SENSOR
S339A Shadow-Line Shadow-Line
S354A Green windscreen, green shade band
S401A Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
S415A Sun-blind, rear
S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S499A Electric rear head rests
S500A Headlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S560A Reading light in rear compartment
S571A Reinforced power supply
S676A HiFi speaker system
S687A Radio preparation
S781A BMW LA wheel M Kontur
S786A Action pack for 17" wheels
L812A NATIONAL VERSION GREAT BRITAIN
S847A Additional battery for C-line phone
S850A Additional Export tank filling
S925A Transport protection package

So, the plan it to pull the compete engine and asses the damage and go from there.

It also needs a bit of tidying here and there, some decent rubber and a wheel refurb and may change back to turbines but will concentrate on getting up and running first.

MMMMMMMMM, champagne! :drool:

·
10,456 Posts
welcome and congratulations! What a great score. Beautiful color combo, and that price! I suppose your qualified to repair it too!:D

Look forward to the progress. Keep us posted with pics and the repair process.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much! The price i got it for was a fraction of what Hexagon sold it for in 2010 but no doubt it will eat up a big chunk of cash to get it up to scratch.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Welcome along.

My 93 car also has extended champagne leather. Its a classy place to sit :noSMG:

Was the car at Spire Sterling Corner? if so - you must be local?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is an awesome color combo...hope you get her fixed and back on the road soon!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to hear what killed a 50k mile engine! Presumably good service history? Gotta feel for the guy you bought it from - he must have thought he was pretty safe with such a low mileage car from a well-known dealer.

Anyway please keep us informed!

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome along.

My 93 car also has extended champagne leather. Its a classy place to sit :noSMG:

Was the car at Spire Sterling Corner? if so - you must be local?

Cheers

Steve
The car was sold in 2010 by Hexagon of Highgate, now Spire of Highgate after Paul Michaels the owner of Hexagon sold the BMW/Mini franchise to concentrate on his classic car business now called Hexagon Moderns/Hexagon Classics based in Fortis Green.

The car was recovered to the ex Hexagon, now Spire aftersales centre in Kentish town which is where i used to work.

I live in Surrey close to Gatwick.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! Can't wait to hear what killed a 50k mile engine! Presumably good service history? Gotta feel for the guy you bought it from - he must have thought he was pretty safe with such a low mileage car from a well-known dealer.

Anyway please keep us informed!

Chris
The previous owner is what killed a 50k mile engine! I'm lead to believe it lost its coolant due to a leak from the radiator and the owner kept driving it whilst overheating till the engine stopped!:eek:h:

History is ok with a stamped up book right up to the last service, an inspection 2 in april this year. There has been very little mileage covered between services though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi Barry,

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

I know that car, it is an absolute beauty. I almost bought it in 2008 and then again in 2010.

It's a real shame the previous owner toasted the engine but then again, his loss is your gain. It really amazes me how stupid some people can be when it comes to destroying engines. Hopefully there is not too much damage.

That car is really worth saving as there are so few in that condition with those miles left.

Once you get the engine sorted it really needs to go back on it's original Turbines.

Please keep us up to date with progress on the car.

P.S. I still haven't fitted the Pioneer Stereo yet but I love it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Welcome Barry :)

As a UK (Kent) member i'm looking forward to seeing your car sometime - as well as the write up of the no doubt expert repair work your about to do :)

enjoy :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
As we all know, coolant loss during driving do not give low coolant warning. When there is no coolant, temp sensor cant show high temps. When oil temp goes up, its too late and engine is gone.
That's a very extreme case that you are talking about, where a hose has burst or a jubilee clip has come undone and you lose all of your coolant in a very short space of time.

A radiator leak would probably be a slow leak that eventually would give high water temps, high oil temps or some other warning that all was not right, not to mention the pool of coolant on the ground when the car was parked. I have seen people continue to drive cars with the water temp gauge in the red not even knowing what the gauge was for.

I guess it depends what the scenario was in the case of this M5.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps!

There will be a full blow by blow account of what failed and what caused it to but can only guess the scenario as to what the previous owner did.

Also, the engine repair and general resurrection of the car will be detailed in this thread in due course although this may take some time due to other commitments and work load but I hope to have it running by Christmas.

Hello Nick! It's the first car i have bought blind, only going on the say so of a friend and former colleague so its good to hear that the car is a good one or at least was 4 years ago. One can only hope its not deteriorated too much (engine aside) in the 10 odd thousand miles its done in those 4 years since you last saw it.

Who had it for sale in 2008 when you were going to buy it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Who had it for sale in 2008 when you were going to buy it?
Hi Barry,

In 2008 it was for sale as a private sale on Pistonheads. I spoke to the owner at the time. I think he was the first or second owner of the car. The car was about £10,000 then with the mileage in the late thirties.

I looked at the car in 2010 when it was for sale at Hexagon for £17,000. It was a beautiful car then with the only blemishes being some stone chipping on the front and some kerbing on the alloys. I didn't buy it in the end as I found my white 1990 car.

The interior on your car is the nicest I have seen on an E34 M5, just gorgeous.

Keep the updates coming, I am keen to see the outcome. This beauty needs to be back on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the comments guys!

So the car arrived yesterday at ML filthy dirty and looking very sorry for itself. Note the offensive scorpion DTM pipes!

So a quick scout round it revealed a couple of pleasant surprises

An unused spare complete with period Michelin MXX 2 tyre.

And popping the tool kit open revealed the holy grail of BMW tool box items!

Still some bits missing though but easily enough to source.

And the mill itself! I'm gagging to strip this down to find out the extent of the damage but it may not be for a couple of weeks due to a heavy work load.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts