BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just have registered myself at this website after being following this website for years. My time has come to look after a BMW M5 :goldcup::M5rev: and also want to participate at this great forum! Some news for the true lovers:

The new BMW M5 F10 has arrived at Schiphol Airport (The Netherlands, Amsterdam). Check out the pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If you are looking after it I suggest you take some closer pictures. Ideally of the interior and engine bay.

If you can manage that (without getting in trouble). You will be a hero on here!

·
Registered
93 Posts
That machine sitting there on that trailer is a world changer. Crazy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why? SMG or DCT is better in every way than a 6 speed manual gear box.

i suppose i have opened the can of worms, but the aspects that are "better" do not make a connected driving expierence and therefore do not tranlsate to going faster. fundamentally i could carry on and on with you on this and never change your mind or my own, but basically, if you have to ask, you dont understand the difference of having the clutch there as a good thing, this is not intended as an insult, just that if you knew why you wouldnt bother asking.

Its a layer of control, it is a more involved process, I feel (again, opinion) it makes driving enjoyable. flappy paddles are not the same as a clutch and shifter. i actually think these semi-auto systems are useless and you may as well just put it in 'D' because its just you pretending you are involved. ultimately this is just the way i feel about it and have driven enough of these different systems that i fundamentally hate them, but it is opinion and feel. if you feel its better, i will not be able to convince you otherwise.

F1 cars are auto because its argued to be faster but more importantly its cheaper, the driver cant go and blow the trany from a mistake, its an element of control removed from the driver, so it is rapidly more the car is good and rapidly less relevant if you are good at driving said car.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
i suppose i have opened the can of worms, but the aspects that are "better" do not make a connected driving expierence and therefore do not tranlsate to going faster. fundamentally i could carry on and on with you on this and never change your mind or my own, but basically, if you have to ask, you dont understand the difference of having the clutch there as a good thing, this is not intended as an insult, just that if you knew why you wouldnt bother asking.

Its a layer of control, it is a more involved process, I feel (again, opinion) it makes driving enjoyable. flappy paddles are not the same as a clutch and shifter. i actually think these semi-auto systems are useless and you may as well just put it in 'D' because its just you pretending you are involved. ultimately this is just the way i feel about it and have driven enough of these different systems that i fundamentally hate them, but it is opinion and feel. if you feel its better, i will not be able to convince you otherwise.

F1 cars are auto because its argued to be faster but more importantly its cheaper, the driver cant go and blow the trany from a mistake, its an element of control removed from the driver, so it is rapidly more the car is good and rapidly less relevant if you are good at driving said car.
I understand the difference.....I own a C6 with a manual transmission also. In the M6 I do not use paddles. Curious, but do you have an M6? Genuine question because I think if you did drive the SMG for a while you would see that the same "feel" is there. I have had semi-auto cars, and then I have had the SMG. The SMG feels no different to me than the C6's transmission. Only difference is no clutch. I would agree with you on other "semi-auto" transmissions.

With that said, I believe it is more of a "macho-man" thing with a manual transmission talk than anything else. I run into many many people who are confused over the SMG and think it's "girly". Either way, I don't mind as I have fun with both types of transmission. That also was not meant in an insulting way. I am not saying you are that way over the standard transmission, just the general consensus I get from individuals who do not own a M5/M6 with SMG and try to say how horrible it is to not have a 6 speed.
:cheers:

Reactions: kgati

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The 2nd picture where the jet engine sits atop the M5 roof is so fitting. :grinyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
you can't tease us like that... you really need to be getting more pictures - fast!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Is this the first time we have seen the trunk lip spoiler? Looks like that will be the production item for the M5.

And while the lowers are still covered in camouflage, the shape of the side mirrors now seems to be finalized (and yes they look different from the non-M F10 cars).

So little by little, the F10 M5 details are being revealed!

EDIT: I take that back about the spoiler - looks like the 550 already has it too!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Entirely too excited to see it once it's released!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Frankfurt Auto Show 2011

I am going to Frankfurt Autoshow.. thats it!
Per Wikipedia that would be:

: 64th IAA Cars in Frankfurt/Main from Thursday 15 September - Sunday 25 September 2011; Press days: 13 + 14 September 2011; Trade days: 15 + 16 September 2011.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand the difference.....I own a C6 with a manual transmission also. In the M6 I do not use paddles. Curious, but do you have an M6? Genuine question because I think if you did drive the SMG for a while you would see that the same "feel" is there. I have had semi-auto cars, and then I have had the SMG. The SMG feels no different to me than the C6's transmission. Only difference is no clutch. I would agree with you on other "semi-auto" transmissions.

With that said, I believe it is more of a "macho-man" thing with a manual transmission talk than anything else. I run into many many people who are confused over the SMG and think it's "girly". Either way, I don't mind as I have fun with both types of transmission. That also was not meant in an insulting way. I am not saying you are that way over the standard transmission, just the general consensus I get from individuals who do not own a M5/M6 with SMG and try to say how horrible it is to not have a 6 speed.
:cheers:
Sorry for the lag time here, pretty busy week. I do not own an M6 SMG, so i suppose you have the advantage of having the manual and this setup and having driven them beyond the level i have (i.e. drive it for long enough to be disgusted with it and walk away.). i did drive the M6 for a few blocks but the dealer wasnt being too friendly, so no, not a fair shake down seasion. So i will specifically use when the Evo-X came out, everyone crapped on about how this tranmission was different and better because it was the most accurate to driver input and gave the car the realest feel compared to a true manual, i hated it, it really bothered me and didnt have enough feel, plus i dont like that i cant just be in neutral, easily - the dealer at mitsu was more interested in the sale then the bimmer dealer, not surprising, i do look like a bum most of the time. there have been many others, but it seems we are in agreement that they all sucked.

In terms of having the clutch being the only difference, i would say that is a HUGE difference. I live in a northern climate, perhaps thats why i care so much, and yes, i drive my M in the snow, because its an awesome winter car, and without the clutch you dont have as much control over the car in adverse conditions, so since half my year is driving in the snow, a clutch does add control and is therefore another situation where more feel is needed.

I dont know how a C6 would be in the snow, but i suspect it would be a barrel of laughs. I hear lambo even offers winter driving training? i have seen pics of a gallardo with winters on it in switzerland? Looked cool!

but ya, back on topic: i dont think its a girly vs. manly situation, and at the end of the day, it comes down to preference and opinion, but i think that being as connected to your vehicle as possible is ideal, to a point, a caterham wouldnt be as fun in the snow, and i drive a sedan because of the limitations of needing a vehicle that works for the rest of life. so the key is to get the balance as close as possible and i think the clutch and manual is part of that.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Motorcycles anyone?

Granted the SMG vs MT is a personal thing. But I recall motorcycling back in the late 60s, early 70s and after getting off the line with the clutch, you could shift without hitting the clutch lever. Of course your shifts were "sequential". How smoothly it shifted (and how much abuse you put on the trans) was a matter of throttle manipulation during the shift. It could be relatively smooth or brutal in a drag race.

I kept thinking, this sort of thing would be great in a car (sequential shifting, clutch pedal/lever not required). In many ways, SMG is just that. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it overall.

Too each his own. Be thankful that BMW listened to their American customers and offered the MT.

Need more "involvement"? Then I'm pissed off that the choke has disappeared off the dash, that there is no spark advance lever on the steering wheel, and there is no crank by the front bumper to start the car. ouich

Seriously, some people think that an automatic trans with paddles is that same as SMG. Those people have never spent enough (or any) time with an SMG. My Mini Clubman and paddles (with its auto trans) and they are worthless compared to the SMG in my M6. I plan to get an X1 when the become available in the U.S. and since my wife will also drive it, it will no doubt have an automatic. And I will resist using the paddles in it too if for no other reason than BMW does not use the same paddle arrangement (auto has pull to upshift, push to downshift from either paddle, vice SMG/DCT with push only, left to downshift, right to upshift). I've caught myself upshifting the Mini when I meant to downshift. So, I just don't use them now...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Granted the SMG vs MT is a personal thing. But I recall motorcycling back in the late 60s, early 70s and after getting off the line with the clutch, you could shift without hitting the clutch lever. Of course your shifts were "sequential". How smoothly it shifted (and how much abuse you put on the trans) was a matter of throttle manipulation during the shift. It could be relatively smooth or brutal in a drag race.

I kept thinking, this sort of thing would be great in a car (sequential shifting, clutch pedal/lever not required). In many ways, SMG is just that. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it overall.

Too each his own. Be thankful that BMW listened to their American customers and offered the MT.

Need more "involvement"? Then I'm pissed off that the choke has disappeared off the dash, that there is no spark advance lever on the steering wheel, and there is no crank by the front bumper to start the car. ouich
in all fairness you can do this in cars as well, i know a few guys that have insisted if you time it right its fine, i certainly dont let them drive any of my cars, so yes, point taken, you are better off having an SMG then having a clutch and ignoring it.

i take your humour of the improvements afforded to modern cars, but i dont think that those features were about driving feel and thats kind of involvement i am looking for.

back on topic though: i love the way BMW makes the M's look swollen with the flaired wheel arches!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts