BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been excited about this pickup, especially having lost my old unintentional ratrod M5 so unexpectedly.

(Scroll for the instant-gratification pics)
I had dozens and dozens of hours into my last M5. Along with a close lifelong friend, we saved that car from a certain junkyard/part-out fate in 2012-13 (until May of last year...), and I had touched, fiddled with, replaced, or upgraded basically every subsystem on the car. I note this not seeking pity, but explaining my state of mind when left with an unsalvageable original M5. My job had never been busier at the same time, so there was no bandwidth on any level for another project - as bad as I wanted to pull the refreshed S38 out and drop it in a slicktop Touring.

The replacement had to be a significant step forward, ideally less of a 250k+ mile project, something that appealed to me more than the last M5, and something that had the chops to both function as an Angry *** part show car and clean date night or in-law ferrying family car. Easy peasy, right?

Throughout this community, some (I would argue, most) of the most interesting and equipped collectors have no social media or online presence. That is exactly the type of gentleman from whom I bought this car.

Federalized the hard way about a decade ago (not my first federalized Euro: Heidi Diaries Part Trois: Bleeding blue in CO - Page 6), a friend of a friend produced basically my dream E34 M5 from seemingly nowhere, less than 90 miles south of my damn house.

• 1992 M5, Euro
  • 108,000 miles (not KM)
  • Diamond Black with contrasting lowers
  • Dark M Cloth upholstery, with manual front seats (!) and a special order two seat rear (!!!)
  • Very stock - aka, not ruined by another's questionable taste (not counting some stick-on German ricer mods that easily came off)
I don't mind admitting I had to beg and borrow to buy this car in the short timeframe it was available to me, but the past 8 or 9 months have proven to me that the purchase was totally worth it. Even driving it home, I had the opposite experience of almost every other used car I have bought: most of it worked a lot better than I thought. By the time I stopped for dinner a bit north on the drive home, after a fully-warmed up WOT pull or two, I was shaking with excitement when I took this crappy cell shot in a mall lot.

My baseline for the car (which immediately sat at my house idle for several weeks, unfortunately) was encouraging:

• A healthy driveline in need of little beyond a vacuum system refresh and noisy SAP removal (later proven by a clean bill of health from Blackstone, and passed emissions)
  • Solid paint and very little rust. I didn't need original paint on this car, although it's likely most of it is original. The rear bumper lower trim is not painted in a contrasting color, strangely - something I will rectify when I get some other areas touched up in the future
  • Ice cold R12 (!!!) and otherwise fully-functioning IHKA, thank the gods
  • Functioning subsystems like cruise, radio (an ugly head unit that will be replaced), windows, interior features
  • Aside from a purple rear deck and some holes in the driver side bolster, a very solid interior that, if garaged appropriately like I plan to, will hold up well over time
  • A knackered suspension (like EVERY used BMW I have bought), but EDC and SLS still in place at least. Blown accumulators yield a stiff rear, and stink-bug stance with stock front ride height. Gross. Strangely, non-vented 300mm rear rotors and calipers were installed
Proving that in *most non-CA US states, a clean-running M5 3.8 has no issues passing emissions, this car "fast passed" Colorado emissions on the first attempt.

As winter was coming, I made space in my tiny '40s single-bay garage for the car to protect it from the weather (particularly hail). Then the car was off to another buddy, a newish but fast friend in the detailing world with a high-mile, well-kept, survivor 540/6. Though overmuch time had to be spent on German ricer badge removal adhesive (there were 10 separate areas, including the rear M5 emblem, which was misaligned and had to come off), even a quick polish yielded encouraging results.

I was pleased to see the clear tails are OEM. After this detail, which ended up being only a baseline because of all the badge adhesive and limited time, the car again sat (but this time indoors!) until it got closer to my moving timeline to Texas. For what seemed like once in my life, the timing of things naturally worked out: Angry *** was making a company debut at Texfest, a Texas...fest... for old BMWs, go figure. The venue was less than an hour from my move destination of Austin, so I arranged to drive the new M5 down for the meet, and then leave it on in-law's property and fly back to Colorado to continue working on my move. This way I could give the car a 1,000 mile shakedown before winter set in, and have one less car to move down to Texas.

I had a decent little list to tackle before the drive, and thankfully, completed most of it in my driveway in the sun (but not all). I didn't leave it all for the last minute as I normally do, but a bad eBay buy did come back to haunt me.

• Hang 17x8 forged M Systems with new Michelin PS4S rubber - M Pars belong on wide grills, change my mind
  • Install MSI Racing bullet nose studs (85mm rear, 95mm front) and yellow "NASCAR pit nuts"
  • Install Angry *** Solutions Street Brake front upgrade
  • Install 300x20mm vented rear rotors and calipers
  • Bleed with Motul RBF
  • Install Angry *** Solutions SAP-replacement tensioner (toss OEM SAP into garbage)
  • Oil and filter change, with the Motul 300V 5W-40 Angry *** has been testing for awhile now. Captured an oil sample for Blackstone
Go figure that the one component I sourced from eBay used, let me down. I didn't notice until the last minute that one of the rear 300mm vented calipers had a chopped off bleed screw. This was the day before I was due to leave, on a weekend, but I was soon bailed out by another buddy - with a caliper taken off my old M5, no less! I had to pull the caliper off my old car, install it on the new car, and bleed (twice, of course) in 20F snow and ice, all outdoors.

But it was worth it. The car didn't miss a beat in the 900 mile trip down, or in the Hill Country windy roads for the Texfest meet that Angry *** enjoyed so much. The car is a lot better put together, quieter, more refined, and faster than my old M5. If it had a sixth gear and no sunroof, I'd want to be buried in it.

More to come as I'm now semi-settled (though lacking a dedicated wrenching space) in Austin, and have lots of plans that dovetail with Angry *** development in 2020. Radwood Austin is next, followed by a company debut at The Vintage in N.C. Stay tuned - and as a parting offering, here are a few decent photos of Texfest day trips. Once I can sort the ride height appropriately, a casual full shoot is sorely needed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations for this very original Japan car. Originality is something very exclusive, especially if everything still works.:cool:

But what is a slicktop touring please?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
@gosch - „slicktop touring“ =
my qualified guess is = an E34 M5touring without the
,roof-rails‘ option (SA-385). - and perhaps even
,without the double-sun-roof‘ option ??
@Bleedsblue - congrats = good catch, nice work n nice write up -
keep up the good work -(y)

·
10,455 Posts
congratulations, great color/spec with the 4 seater alcantara interior.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations for this very original Japan car. Originality is something very exclusive, especially if everything still works.:cool:

But what is a slicktop touring please?
Thank you! Did you find that this car came from Japan originally? I have not looked at the history, myself.

As M5touring reg said, "slicktop" means no-sunroof in the USA.

Congratulations! Good to see a new project here! :)
Thank you!

congratulations, great color/spec with the 4 seater alcantara interior.
That means a lot coming from you, Mike. Cheers!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The studs you mounted. What are the benefits? I have been considering them on my 850. Are they lighter than OEM or whats the deal?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The studs you mounted. What are the benefits? I have been considering them on my 850. Are they lighter than OEM or whats the deal?
I chose longer studs (95mm overall front, 85mm overall rear), so they are heavier than OEM lug bolts. I much prefer studs to lugs because I take my wheels off all the time. We chose to sell these studs because they are the best available - they are used in LeMans, NASCAR, and other race series. In motorsport crashes at 200mph, these studs do not break, they bend.

More technical details are on our site: https://www.angryasssolutions.com/parts/m12-race-stud-nut-conversion-kit

The threads engage more tightly than any bolt and nut we've ever tested, and the coating is as slick as advertised.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great color! Diamond black is so dynamic in the light. Need to pictures of that interior; not sure if I've ever seen a breadbox and M cloth combo before.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great color! Diamond black is so dynamic in the light. Need to pictures of that interior; not sure if I've ever seen a breadbox and M cloth combo before.
Haha, Matt you raise a good point - one cannot claim to have that interior in a new car thread without gratuitous photos! I will take some soon, for sure.

Someone did some research and determined it was 1 of less than 100 E34 M5s ever optioned that way. The breadbox is surely cool, but personally I am in love with the manual sport seats - lighter, better to sit in, and no twisting opportunity!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! Glad to see such a cool car in good hands. Looking forward to more updates.
Cheers, Trevor!

Not much of an update today, but at least a quick, proper photoshoot to show the car in its current "winter" state after a decent wash. By spring I'm hoping to have a permanent garage spot for it.

This shoot pretty much hides the stinkbug stance and front fender gap, but this first sideshot shows it a bit. The car needs to come up half an inch at the rear (it should once I remove the bottomed-out SLS), and drop closer to an inch up front (lowering springs will do the trick for now).

It me! My wife takes all of the nice car photos, btw.

These next two aren't glamor shots - I just see things that need fixing, but again these are good baselines.

Particularly when lowered, the factory rear suspension of these M5s make you choose between acceptable negative camber, and acceptable toe settings. While the rear will come up and partially ameliorate the situation, I still want to add additional adjustment plates to the rear subframe. This will help avoid extreme camber under compression, and help that 235 section Michelin PS4S (w/ 15mm spacer) fill the rear arches better.

In contrast, I have a set of Ground Control street camber plates to go along with the front lowering springs, because I want -2 to -2.5 front camber. My front MSI Hardware studs have 20mm of thread left, so likely 15mm spacers for the front wheels at that point (a setup I ran on my last M5 pre-KW).

Oh yes - and the rear bumper lower trim needs painting to match the rest of the car. I'm worried it's Sebringgrau when it should be Granitsilber, but we'll see.

M-Confetti Club
This was a sunset shoot, and I hadn't given the interior a sufficient clean (plus I have a different steering wheel to go in), so these interior shots are quick and dirty. But I had to give the people something!

I can't recommend manual sport seats enough. I love saving weight, and I hate seat twist. I adapted Recaro SRDs (basically, 20 Jahre/E30M Evo seats) in my last M5, fulfilling a teenage dream, but honestly I prefer these "regular" manual sport seats in every category aside from looks.

I love the look of the M cloth, obviously, but to me the best features in this interior are the manual seats and 4 seat configuration, not the upholstery. M cloth will be more temperature-neutral and the bolsters are grippier than leather, but leather is certainly more durable and easier to clean. Given the rear breadbox and the upholstery, this will never be a cargo or dog backseat for me, which is a new challenge :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats Brent, bummer to hear about the white m5 after seeing it at drive 4 corners in 2018. Cant wait to see more of this thing

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats Brent, bummer to hear about the white m5 after seeing it at drive 4 corners in 2018. Cant wait to see more of this thing
Cheers, sir! I am actually missing the white car more and more. Just something so refreshing about a mechanically sound, entirely functional, but ugly and high mileage M5. I could have driven it to 500k miles.

Alright man, you're overdue. What's going on with this thing? Send some pictures.
Trevor, you caught me! There is absolutely nothing going on over here, minus the acquiring of parts for an eventual jack stand session. I've just been driving the car from Point A to Point A often enough to top off the battery and keep the oil pump primed, and to do some underhood temperature testing for our upcoming carbon plenum.

Photos below to at least buy myself a little time :)

The parts I have stockpiled so far include:
  • Ground Control street camber plates
  • H&R 50413 springs
  • Bilstein rear shocks
  • SLS "soft" delete components (IE, I will just loop the lines under the car for now)
  • Modern Continental head unit w/ Bluetooth, USB etc - but orange backlighting and more period-correct buttons
  • Staggered, forged, polished M Systems with gold Throwing Stars
  • 235/255 Continental ExtremeContact tires
This list will expand slightly depending on what I find in the suspension, since the goal is to do everything at once; and yield a slightly lower car that is both daily-drivable and ready for autocross and light track work. The rear SLS definitely needs new bombs, but since the EDC is non-functional anyway, I'm taking the opportunity to swap over to a temporary rear setup that proved acceptable on my old car. For now, I'll adapt the camber plates and springs to the front EDC struts, which are not blown despite having the wires cut and fed with resistors. This is all somewhat temporary until coil overs at a later date.

The temperature testing has been easy as we have seen near 40C temperatures here lately! I recently took a few of us out to grab ripe peaches, and other than the stiff rear suspension, the car is a lot nicer to be in than my old car!

Can you feel the ambient heat in this pic? I feel like I can.

I'm digging the low profile vibe of this narrow grille, debadged car, on Turbines especially (caps removed for safety):

Got the goods! This car has a factory CD changer, now wasted space. And I'm always on the lookout for a damn trunk net! But never find 'em.

Most things were closed, but on the drive back I had to stop in my favorite nearby one-road town. Again, digging the sleeper status of this early 3.8 a great deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts