BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I need to replace the battery in the M5, for those that have, whats the typical cost? Is it covered by maintenance/warranty?

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's about 170-200 if you do it yourself. It's a big battery.

The sevice center wanted to charge me 350 if they did it.
I dont understand how it takes an hour of work, it's very easily accesible in the trunk.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's about 170-200 if you do it yourself. It's a big battery.

The sevice center wanted to charge me 350 if they did it.
I dont understand how it takes an hour of work, it's very easily accesible in the trunk.
I take it that you replaced your battery yourself. Is ther any thing else that needs to be done besides the hold down bracket and Pos and Neg cables. What settings did you lose if any.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The battery turned out to be fine, the dealer mis-diagnosed the battery as faulty (nothing was wrong).
So I didn't change it. They will also take your old battery for free to recycle.

I took a look at it and it did not seem like anything else needs to be done other than +, - and the bracket that holds it down. You can take a look at it yourself, it's under the trunk liner. Everything looks heavy duty (thick cables, huge battery).

I replaced the battery on my E46 M3 (much smaller battery), and it's really easy. I just tighten the terminals until they are secure, but I don't over tighten them. I didn't use a torque wrench or anything like that for this, I don't think it's necessary. I think the M3 used a 10mm nut on the terminals.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Changing the battery is very simple. But it has to be registered with the cars software.

Not sure how it's done but it definitely needs to be done.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Changing the battery is very simple. But it has to be registered with the cars software.

Not sure how it's done but it definitely needs to be done.
This is another myth about the M5 that is still out there. Some on the board say it needs to be registered, other's say they have changed out the battery themselves without going to the dealer and had no problems. I have done most of the maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles since I was 16 and can't think of any reason that the car would have to be told it has a new battery in it. Has anyone on the board heard that the E60 5 series has the same requirment, or any other model besides the M5 for that matter, of having to register the battery with the car

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
No programing needed...just make sure the replacement batter has the same if not better, CCa and overall specs...MOST important make sure it is anchored properly...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, you should have no problems if you go and get the OEM Battery.
The car doesn't need to know it has a new battery.

You car might forget the time afterwards, but it will still memorize all the important stuff.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hasan,

I think you are right. I did some searching on this topic.

Apparently the registration is mainly so the techs have a record of when the battery was changed but it also resets the charging schedule to account for a new battery (which can be charged differently). If not registered, the battery might not last to it's full potential, but if registration costs as much as a battery then it makes no sense to do it (or an indy shop can do it for you). I, now knowning this, would try to register my new battery, just in case.

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems
Foreign Service | Motor | Find Articles at BNET

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575954
The BavTechnic tool might let you register the new battery, but I would call them first to find out.
It is not clear to me if this tool works for our M5s.

Hope those links help explain it better.

It's pretty redicolous that a new battery needs programming at the dealer. I think BMW is not concerned at all about resale value of their cars past the warranty.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't need a battery yet, and I agree that having to get ripped by the dealer when replacing the battery is a little over the top, so I think when the time comes I will go to a battery shop or an auto chain store that replaces the battery for you when you buy a battery from them. That way they will register it for you and if they don't they can keep replacing the battery under warranty. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after having the battery replaced (along with oil service being done), I was expecting a charge when I picked it up. I reached in to my pocket for my wallet and the lady stamps paid and says have a nice day. They replaced my battery under warranty.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hasan,

I think you are right. I did some searching on this topic.

Apparently the registration is mainly so the techs have a record of when the battery was changed but it also resets the charging schedule to account for a new battery (which can be charged differently). If not registered, the battery might not last to it's full potential, but if registration costs as much as a battery then it makes no sense to do it (or an indy shop can do it for you). I, now knowning this, would try to register my new battery, just in case.

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems
Foreign Service | Motor | Find Articles at BNET

Battery Replacement DIY - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
The BavTechnic tool might let you register the new battery, but I would call them first to find out.
It is not clear to me if this tool works for our M5s.

Hope those links help explain it better.

It's pretty redicolous that a new battery needs programming at the dealer. I think BMW is not concerned at all about resale value of their cars past the warranty.
Thanks Keca! I don't think it should cost much if you but the battery form the dealer. I believe any worshop with an Auto Logic or GT 1 should be able to do it.

So after having the battery replaced (along with oil service being done), I was expecting a charge when I picked it up. I reached in to my pocket for my wallet and the lady stamps paid and says have a nice day. They replaced my battery under warranty.
Congratulations! Nice to hear of a dealer that is providing a good service.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't need a battery yet, and I agree that having to get ripped by the dealer when replacing the battery is a little over the top, so I think when the time comes I will go to a battery shop or an auto chain store that replaces the battery for you when you buy a battery from them. That way they will register it for you and if they don't they can keep replacing the battery under warranty. That should solve the problem.

You will need a shop with a BMW scan tool to do the registration. Like a GT-1. Most battery places won't have it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You will need a shop with a BMW scan tool to do the registration. Like a GT-1. Most battery places won't have it.
Most national battery outlets and parts stores will install the battery if you bought it from them. All new batteries come with warrenty's if the shop fails to install it properly they will have to replace the battery if it fails sooner than expected. It might be accessed through OBDII ports. I think I will plug my unit in and see just what can changed or reset through it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also told by the authorized BMW dealer that a new battery needs to be coded into the system. Now, after reading this thread, I finally believe what they were saying :)

Has anybody done the coding themselves - how did you do it? I have for example BMW INPA which I can use - do you know if the coding can be done with it? I would hate to spend 110€ for such a simple job as changing a battery!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sorry but I had a important question as I have had the beast parked for 3 months and the battery is dead. Whats the next step to this mess up? Should i charge it? Get it recharged? replace? go to stealer?

Jump starting was out of the question as I dont want to harm any of the electronics.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry but I had a important question as I have had the beast parked for 3 months and the battery is dead. Whats the next step to this mess up? Should i charge it? Get it recharged? replace? go to stealer?

Jump starting was out of the question as I dont want to harm any of the electronics.
If you have a battery charger put it on slow charge, if after you do that and it still goes dead then you will probably have to replace it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts