BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yes i have the original battery in my 06 and besides that its fine...invested $12 in the guage shown plugged into the cig lighter, which i will watch for signs of the batt going but until then why? They are readily available and can go for a day or two without coding...

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm with you--keep the battery as long as you can. Caveat: my car is not my daily driver, and thus I do not rely on it for daily transportation. Your plug-in gauge will let you monitor the charging voltage in real time while driving. This could be useful in diagnosing voltage regulator or other charging malfunctions! In addition, I keep my battery on a maintainer/tender when not driving the car. I am still using the original in my 2009, and before getting the tender, I was getting the "Increased Battery Discharge" message with I pushed the Start button occasionally.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly the same here, (weekend therapy tool only) she actually has gone as long as 2.5 weeks parked with no battery drain issues, never a warning no nothing, just the internet infused sense of panic that I am not a proper owner for not having a Listerine fresh battery...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just a heads-up about coding... I've had my battery in for two years without coding with no problems. In my opinion, coding and a "Genuine BMW" battery are just a money grab.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Just a heads-up about coding... I've had my battery in for two years without coding with no problems. In my opinion, coding and a "Genuine BMW" battery are just a money grab.
Just curious, have you seen the threads over on Bimmerpost regarding the exploding batteries from not being registered? There has been a handful of cases of people replacing the batteries regardless of brand and the batteries would explode by the alternator overcharging the battery. Not saying it will happen to every single person, but it has happened before.

Just spoke with my master tech at BMW (soon to be brother in law), he said if you don't register the battery the DME will not know there is a new battery installed so it will charge the new replacement like the old one and eventually cause premature failure. Batteries over time need more juice as they age.

One of the most infamous threads lol.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=exploded+battery+bmw&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My geriatric old battery reads out 12.0 volts for 10+ minutes engine off headlights on ipod playing blower on etc...Fire up blip the throttle a couple times and it settles on about 13.8 with the same loads idling...14.0 loads minimized. Im going to wait but leave the meter...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

The "genuine BMW" money grab I would agree with you, but the coding is not. Find an Indy that will do it for a fare price. Do your homework and you'll understand the whys and I'm not talking opinions I'm talking the actual technical reason for the coding.

I can also not stress the usefulness of lengthening the useful life of your batter using this product:
http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 7002

I have brought POS batteries from the dead using this. Even generic batteries I thought would never come back this product has done it. I don't sell these, but I should as it truly is a great product!

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts