BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I took ownership back in Feb. I've had the "high battery discharge" warning several times, yellow battery picture, and clock reset. I had taken the car in right after I bought it, and they said it checked out fine, but just needed a trickle charge since the car had sat on the lot for a couple of months. I said great, and bought a charger from the parts counter. Got it charged up, and everything was fine up until last week. All the warnings came back everytime I would start and stop the car. I took it in to the dealer today, and the battery failed.......so they replaced it with a new one:thumbsup:
Weird thing is they said the battery had been replaced in the past, but they installed the wrong battery. My SA said it had a BMW battery, but it was 720 CCA battery and the M6 is suppose to have a 900 CCA. The even weirder thing is my SA traced back to when the wrong battery was installed and it was done at the BMW facility in SC before the in-service date. So I guess the car arrived from Germany with a bad battery.

Anywho, glad I was able to get a new battery covered under warranty:1:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Car and Driver had this problem with their long- term X6 (this was an online exclusive to all the subscribers out there). Interesting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great deal man. That reminds me of a question I had. Is it common to swap this monster of a battery for something smaller (but with a decent CCA range) to save weight? We did this on the E46 M3s with Mini Cooper batteries and saved 10 pounds plus it was cheaper and it worked just as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hmmm. Not a bad idea. The new Porsche GT3 RS offers such an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts