BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Available for download from the AMS website.

Bottom line - brutally quick, disappointing suspension control (unlike previous Alpinas) - wishes it had selectable damping (don't we all).

The last 2 paragraphs (forgive my probably slightly dodgy translation):

"Disappointment for anyone who is hoping for an M5 walking on clouds. Comfort has been sacrificed on the altar of high speed. Only the muscular engine, rippling with power, is in common with Alpina's traditional core values.

And it knows how to be different than a BMW M5: unobtrustive, rarer - and faster."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
hythe said:
Available for download from the AMS website.

Bottom line - brutally quick, disappointing suspension control (unlike previous Alpinas) - wishes it had selectable damping (don't we all).

The last 2 paragraphs (forgive my probably slightly dodgy translation):

"Disappointment for anyone who is hoping for an M5 walking on clouds. Comfort has been sacrificed on the altar of high speed. Only the muscular engine, rippling with power, is in common with Alpina's traditional core values.

And it knows how to be different than a BMW M5: unobtrustive, rarer - and faster."
Hythe - any news on when your Touring arrives? I understand that the first saloon cars are now starting to be delivered to customers (well I know one scheduled for delivery within a couple of weeks) but wasn't sure if this extends to Tourings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
My Touring (second UK order, placed on 20th June but slot reserved on 21st March) is scheduled for December "but could be earlier".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heuer said:
My Touring (second UK order, placed on 20th June but slot reserved on 21st March) is scheduled for December "but could be earlier".
There are 2 Tourings likely to be delivered in October and 1 at the beginning of November.

One is a demo car, one is a press car and the other is my car. Kris reckons mine is probably the last of the three, so I might well be picking it up in the first week of November.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
That's about right - yours was the first 'customer' order. They told me to expect a late October BMW build, early November Alpina completion and allow two weeks to get car from Buchloe, PDI, plates etc at Nottingham. Add in the three weeks 'slippage' and it looks like :2: for me!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
hythe said:
There are 2 Tourings likely to be delivered in October and 1 at the beginning of November.

One is a demo car, one is a press car and the other is my car. Kris reckons mine is probably the last of the three, so I might well be picking it up in the first week of November.
Excellent. Must try to get a drive in the demo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
virage1 said:
Excellent. Must try to get a drive in the demo
Don't know where it will reside (possibly Buchloe) - I think it's a left-hooker...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heuer said:
Out of interest Hythe when did you place your order?
Between Christmas and New Year - before they even decided to import the Touring into the UK - converted my order from a 535d Individual...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Ahh so that's why the dealer said they were selling like hot cakes! I drove the pre-production car within two days of it arriving in the UK and placed an order. I thought he was kidding when he said they'd already sold one Touring.

Ged did say Alpina would be getting a batch of Tourings from BMW (L & RHD) in October and they would work their way through them. The M5 boys seem to be able to track build progress daily but I guess their cars are common or garden factory output!hiha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, originally some Alpina folks were apparently quite dubious about selling the Touring in the UK, but since they had my order already in their pocket, I guess the good guys won out!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top