BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the new issue of "fast times", a newsletter of Bavarian Autosport.
They show new air intakes released by aFe.
In the past this had been found to be the only intake which made power for the M3 but I guess this is argueable.

Does any member have this intake or have experience with it?

Will this be another product which never yields any gains?

Any feed-back?

M5Ranger

Reactions: DY1103 and T Bone

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
In the past this had been found to be the only intake which made power for the M3 but I guess this is argueable.

Any feed-back?

M5Ranger
Nothing on AFE or Bavarian's web site yet. Curious to see if it's
any different than K&N's. Any more info in that news letter?

EDIT: here's the link:

https://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_n208_newsletter.pdf

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'll be curious to see the results....

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
On a side note... after servicing my car at the stealer last week their was a note on my receipt that said "customer installed aftermarket air intakes (RPi) which may cause air sensors/maf to malfunction" I dont have the paper with me but it was something along those lines.... why would they make a note of that? I was in their doing suspension work nothing to do with engine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Looks like something similar to K&N design. Probably no better or worse performance-wise.

Bernie,

Sounds like you have a prick for a tech. They will now dishonor any warranty claims for MAFs or intake issues most likely. I would find a new dealer or in the least a new tech, preferably an ///M guy, and make sure to take care of him (if you know what I mean) when performing work on your car. My car goes to one tech and one tech only.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
On a side note... after servicing my car at the stealer last week their was a note on my receipt that said "customer installed aftermarket air intakes (RPi) which may cause air sensors/maf to malfunction" I dont have the paper with me but it was something along those lines.... why would they make a note of that? I was in their doing suspension work nothing to do with engine.
That's annoying. I suspect it's policy to make a note of things that aren't
stock.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Looks like something similar to K&N design. Probably no better or worse performance-wise.

Bernie,

Sounds like you have a prick for a tech. They will now dishonor any warranty claims for MAFs or intake issues most likely. I would find a new dealer or in the least a new tech, preferably an ///M guy, and make sure to take care of him (if you know what I mean) when performing work on your car. My car goes to one tech and one tech only.
Thats sucks...:grrrrr: they cant void my warranty completely right?? If I blow my engine will they not replace it??

·
Registered
331 Posts
AFE

Any feed-back?

M5Ranger
I also call Bavarian Auto and they did not have much to say about this new product for the V8's and V10's. They said that AFE has been making similar products for the 550i and 650i, but the product is new for the V10. Nobody knew anything. I even called AFE and sat on hold for ten minutes. When I finally got someone to talk to they didn't have any clue, and said they would get back to me when the engineers return. I hope the product is promising at the reported price of under $600 compared to the ultra expensive Dinan at $2500. If you only get 20 HP, I rather pay the lower price. Yes, it doesn't include new MAF's or ECU mods like the Dinan product. For now its a wait and see the Dyno.

JDS M5

·
Registered
158 Posts
It would definately be a nice inexpensive alternative to Dinan. I've used AFE on my Charger SRT-8 and had pretty good luck with it. I hope they do release it.

E

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a shame that the company,Bavarian Motors, who is marketing the air intakes made by aFe know little or nothing about the product.
This is bad customer service and certainly not a confidence builder.

The price was stated to be under $700 which is great.
I am not sure about the Dinan intakes regarding the entire product and all its components. Does it also include the ECU software mod?
I am aware that it includes the MAF sensors.

Could someone chime in who knows the specifics of the intakes.

BTW if you can wait 6 to 8 months I would say that it will be worth it. ASR Engineering will have its own version of air-intakes and believe me they will be worth every penny of their value.
Also remember the twin turbo set-up is in the works and coming soon.
Imagine nitrous power at all times. Putting 580 to 600 rwhp :applause:

Cheers, M5Ranger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts