BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with AFE in regards to the new air intake filter and housing. Everything is bolt in or clamp. You have to reuse the MAF in the new housing. The engineer made the following statments:

1) 25 HP gain

2) Bolt in, no ECU mods

3) Available at the end of April

4) He is sending me a picture as soon as he gets it from R&D

5) Price will be $624.75

6) Seperate left and right housings and filters

Don't shoot the messanger, I'll post the picture when I get it.

Regards,

JDS M5

cherrsagai

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any idea if it's a closed system or open like the K&N's?
I am betting it will be an open system with their aluminum heat sheild over the top.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I am betting it will be an open system with their aluminum heat sheild over the top.
So will that solve the problem of the engine sucking in hot air? Also, do you think this product will still have the issue on the cold starts? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
907 Posts
25hp gain sounds more than a little optimistic to me...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea if it's a closed system or open like the K&N's?

I'm not sure, to me it looks like a closed system that would only pull the air from the outside. The box looks closed off to the inside of the engine bay. Lets wait and see.

JDS M5

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any type of open air system will have some sort of heat soaking problem even if it is slight. Just based on what I have seen from AFE, they usually have a box system which really has served more as a housing unit for their filters with a heat sheild over the top. I just took a guess at what I think they might come out with. That price point seems a bit low for two complete box units though. My AFE Stage 1 kit for my M3 was $650 when I bought it new a few years back and that's just one box system. . . not two. . . . .:dunno:

So will that solve the problem of the engine sucking in hot air? Also, do you think this product will still have the issue on the cold starts? Thanks for the info.

Reactions: G ///McGregor K

·
Company Representative for Vivid Racing
877 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

·
Company Representative for Vivid Racing
877 Posts
I haven't had them in my hands yet. They do look similar....maybe whoever did prototype for afe can chime in with results etc.
Rob

·
Registered
907 Posts
You guys should make your own.........I really liked the one you did for the Porsche TT guys......

·
Registered
316 Posts
sorry but it looks exactly like the K&N intakes. Its not like i am hating on the product, but its just that i would only buy this product if it showed real gains on the dyno! Ive learned that with my K&N's and it always throws a increase emission error. It sure looks nice, but i question the performace all the time, which hopefully i plan to switch back to stock soon with RPI scoops. Sorry if i came off to harsh, but its just my thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
looks like this setup has rubber/plastic seal to meet the hood... maybe better heat shielding than K & N's?
but also looks like there are gaps that would allow hot engine compartment air to get into the intake compartment too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I cannot see that this is a true cold air intake which would typically capture air from ducts that dip further forward and out of the engine compartment. I cannot see how it would do more than, for example, the BSM filter setup.

Rick

·
Registered
442 Posts
In a turbo system, an intercooler is used to cool the intake charge. Why wouldn't a similar system work for a non-turbo system as a cold air intake?

Rick

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In a turbo system, an intercooler is used to cool the intake charge. Why wouldn't a similar system work for a non-turbo system as a cold air intake?

Rick
An intercooler cools the gases that were basically your exhaust gases. The temperature of this is much higher than ambient/outside temperatures. The intercooler helps to cool these gases down. The gases that pass through the intercooler will still have temperatures exceeding outside air. So using an intercooler based idea wouldn't work for an intake because you don't have a source of cooling significantly cooler than the intake. Plus an intercooler works best when the car is at speed and air is being pushed "through" it. The main problem with intakes such as the K&N Typhoon is when the car is at a stand still and there is heat soak being caused by ambient engine heat, as no air is being moved into the engine bay. So when the car is moving, the intake works better. So in effect an "intercooled" intake wouldn't do much as an intercooler cools best when a car is moving but for intakes similar to this design, it is the standstill moments cause heatsoak.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
25hp gain sounds more than a little optimistic to me...
The upcoming Dinan intake also has a 20hp claim. Like the Dinan system, I think the AFE is showing this gain due in part to the removal of the charcoal filter which most of us have already removed. I bet if you did a before and after dyno with the CF filter already removed, the gain would be a lot less.

On a different note, does anyone know if the RPI scoops can work with this system? I think not because there's no longer an enclosed box to benefit from the pressurized air created from the scoops but just wanted to check.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hey ECF you are correct about the air-intakes not being compatible with the RPI scoops.
On another note, I would be extremely impressed if the Dinan air intakes reveal any rwhp gains.

Wait for the all new design (a first) air-intakes which will be made by ASR Engineering.
:cheers: M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
...On a different note, does anyone know if the RPI scoops can work with this system? I think not because there's no longer an enclosed box to benefit from the pressurized air created from the scoops but just wanted to check.
I don't think it's a compatibility issue. You can use the RPi scoops if
you want. The GruppeM intake has a scoop. I think the purpose of
this is to flush out the hot air about the filter. Brav ran tests of
the K&N Typhoon with the RPi scoops:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1144043&postcount=22

If anything it seems like it can only help open systems like this.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Actually, ALTERNative, the intercooler is not inline with the exhaust gases for an intercooled car, but rather inline with the compressed air intake. When the turbo compresses the ambient air, it also heats it and the intercooler then cools the compressed air charge. My thought on the M5 would be to explore whether an intercooler that would have a pancake fan on the backside, sucking air through it, would result in a significantly cooler charge? Probably not.

Rick

1 - 20 of 35 Posts