BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the official break in process for a new diff is 1200 miles?

I know atleast the oil should be changed but how are people driving on there new dinan/evosport diffs? I was thinking 200 soft miles would be good but after that life would be back to normal, and then just get the oil replaced after 1200 total.

How are/did you guys handle a new diff and how long did you wait to start getting on it again?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Evosport diff FINALLY arrived today so I am now also keen to hear on the break in procedure. Just need to get it fitted now and enjoy the additional rear wheel torque.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I took it easy with my new diff. Obviously you MUST change the
oil out after the break in.

Many feel that the diff doesn't need this extended break in. Of
course you have to ask yourself, is it worth not following the
break in? There's no potential benefit from driving it hard during
breaking. It's just a matter of how patient and cautious you are.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
im on my 5th diff and this one was great from the start , broke in the last few but not this one , as per dinan there is no break in!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've never heard mention of having to "Change" the oil after a break in period......I know the "Strange" diff I just installed in my Mustang last year had no such mention in the install literature.....and I've had several rebuilt in years past and never had to change oil.....Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
418 Posts
im on my 5th diff and this one was great from the start , broke in the last few but not this one , as per dinan there is no break in!!
5th diff? Do you think it was worth it every time? I am interested in going the Dinan route, but I have heard several members with this issue.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've never heard mention of having to "Change" the oil after a break in period......I know the "Strange" diff I just installed in my Mustang last year had no such mention in the install literature.....and I've had several rebuilt in years past and never had to change oil.....Hmmmmmm
This should be mentioned when you get your diff installed. You should
change the oil to get rid of any metal fragments. No one mentioned
this to you? That's odd and disturbing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right....did a quick search and they all state to change the oil after 500 miles......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right....did a quick search and they all state to change the oil after 500 miles......
I too had problems with my Dinan dif and after the 5th try, I gave up and went back to stock. The oil after the break-in period is very, very dirty with metal fragments. I have seen it enough to tell you that changing the oil is a must.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
907 Posts
Holy crap you guys......and Dinan warrantied these (including R&R) each time??

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
5th diff? Do you think it was worth it every time? I am interested in going the Dinan route, but I have heard several members with this issue.
i love the diff !! lovelove i could'nt drive the beast without it !! i would reccommend it again aswell !!

dinan was great about it , warr' it every time i had an issue ,, this last time 1mo ago in feb they even offered me my $$$$$$$$$$$$ back , butt i said noo i want the diff !! new ones in and its a good one !! keeper !! :applause:

as for the diff fluid every one i've had they always said change fluid at 1200 miles !! they even paid for it every time !!

neil

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So no whine with this latest one Neil?

·
Registered
663 Posts
A break-in period is required, and yes you should change the oil after break-in period. If you disregard the break-in period and fluid change, usually you will get a slight whining sound from the teeth of the gears not meshing correctly. This whining sound can also be caused if the backlash is not set correctly. Also, setting the backlash incorrectly will definitely cause differential failure.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
What is a reasonable break-in? I have heard many people say 10-15 miles is more than enough. On mine, I went the distance on break in and still ended up with a slight whine. Dinan is switching it out for me. If I can avoid another 1200 mile break in, it would be nice.

Also, what should be done during break in. I was told not to exceed 5500 rpm, but that doesn't seem to make sense with a diff. Wont the diff be spinning much faster in 5th gear at 2000 rpm than it would in 1st gear at 7500 rpm?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Also, due to the metal shavings in the oil during break in, should oil be replaced even sooner (say 200 miles) to prevent against a whine. Its something I'm really interested in, but dont want the headache associated with whining and warranty replacements.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What is a reasonable break-in? I have heard many people say 10-15 miles is more than enough. On mine, I went the distance on break in and still ended up with a slight whine. Dinan is switching it out for me. If I can avoid another 1200 mile break in, it would be nice.

Also, what should be done during break in. I was told not to exceed 5500 rpm, but that doesn't seem to make sense with a diff. Wont the diff be spinning much faster in 5th gear at 2000 rpm than it would in 1st gear at 7500 rpm?

Maybe not the speed at which it turns but the amount of torque or force the gears undergo at the higher RPMs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts