BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I upgraded to MK4 and I just got my hands on the brand new 2011 navigation map DVDs from BMW Navigation Maps - Home and I thought I'd do a brief product review.
The version I bought comes with police speed traps POI and speed cameras. I have not tried the speed cameras yet, but the police speed traps work great! I already located two cop hiding places thanks to the navigation map and sure enough the cops were there with radar on! All in all I paid $48 for the East coast disc and I could not be happier. I wish all of USA was on one disc, but that's Tele Atlas for you...

If anybody wants inexpensive 2011 maps check it out. Very good product.

·
Registered
300 Posts
do they even have them in DVD format at the dealership for our Mk4 based navs? I still have the 11.2009 dvd in my car and have been told, "tough luck, they switched to HDD based systems now."
Definitely available on DVD. TeleAtlas took over from Navteq for the 2010 year, and split it into two DVDs for North America.

BMW Navigation Map Updates Store

This is the TeleAtlas OEM site. $199 for the two disc set. You will want the "High" version.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice find, thanks for the heads up.

I'm giving it a try. The price of the Navteq dvd's are a bit too expensive. Considering google maps works flawlessly as a GPS on my phone.
Maybe this will be a nice alternative. The speed cam notification seems like a pretty cool perk. But the speed traps-if compiled through user submissions-I wouldn't count on in my everyday driving..IMO

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well then upon looking at what cegeste just noted I am going to say that ordering these from the OP's link is a no-brainer especially with free shipping as well! Good find!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ordered

Looks fantastic - I also ordered one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Speed trap/camera questions

Interesting idea, but two questions:

1. Does the nav voice give you a warning that you are approaching a camera or trap location? Would be handy on fixed camera locations to get some type of warning 500 feet away or something.

2. Do they have any plan to allow updating of the locations for cameras?

Reason I ask is they keep adding those stupid things in DC every other month so would love to be able to update the database (say a minimal subscription or something).

I think the speed trap warning (other than fixed camera locations) might be a bit of a stretch, but might still be useful to get some heads up of typical hiding places on unfamiliar roads. That said, I always go armed with a V-1 & CB on long trips.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's why they had to break it up into 2 DVDs. The speed trap feature might be worthwhile, but only if the reporting is accurate.
The OEM TeleAtlas was broken up to 2 DVDs for North America the 2010 year. TeleAtlas is owned by TomTom.
The map data and POI database that TeleAtlas uses spans the size of a dual layer DVD, and as such it was broken up.

This seller has more than likely modified the OEM TeleAtlas DVDs, importing the speed traps, cams, etc. and making a new set.

·
13,583 Posts
The OEM TeleAtlas was broken up to 2 DVDs for North America the 2010 year. TeleAtlas is owned by TomTom.
The map data and POI database that TeleAtlas uses spans the size of a dual layer DVD, and as such it was broken up.

This seller has more than likely modified the OEM TeleAtlas DVDs, importing the speed traps, cams, etc. and making a new set.
I was unaware there was a 2010 USA disc. I've never seen it anywhere. He's def done exactly that. My question is how good is the database of speed traps.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The version I bought comes with police speed traps POI and speed cameras. I have not tried the speed cameras yet, but the police speed traps work great! I already located two cop hiding places thanks to the navigation map and sure enough the cops were there with radar on!
malter how does our nav system alert you to an upcoming camera/trap? Does it also display on the screen with a certain icon? Does the voice say 'camera ahead' or something?

thx.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a visual warning showing where the police speed traps and speed cameras are located on the road. It does not say "warning ahead" or anything like that. Now that would be cool! Here are some screen shots from their website Speed Cameras & Police Traps - BMW Navigation Maps

·
Registered
159 Posts
Received mine in the mail yesterday. Seems as if I purchased a burnt copy of the Teleatlas DVD from that website (I hope I'm wrong). The label on top of the DVD is the quality I used to put on my friends cd's when I would burn them a copy and attach the original label/artwork. (Subpar-paper feel)

:fro:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you wont get an original 2011 Tele Atlas - not for that cheap (!) and not with Speed Cameras and Police Speed Traps because they simply dont have those features. As long as it works I'm a happy camper. I couldn't care less what it is. BTW, I just checked and the DVD is a Tayio Yunden, which is the best quality recordable media. Also, my label is identical to the OEM, highly professional looking and glossy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts