BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody
My first post on the board.
Couldn't resist a well enjoyed M5 with 138k miles...
It has Dinan CAI and exhaust that i can verify so far.
I am sure it will be a handful to get it straight but i think i am ready...
So far had a bad experience with Santa Monica BMW that couldn't help me with emissions recall and wasted my time but it is all taken care of now thanks to Christopher at Sterling in Newport Beach.
First upgrade was the center console (ex TEC) cup holder.
Rear sunshade and both seat heaters are not working in the cabin.
Vacuum cleaner like noise on cold start is due to secondary air pump i believe.
Slight oil leak and of course thrust arms and other suspension parts have to be looked at. One or both front bearings need to be changed.
I guess i got myself a project but the monster makes me smile every time i drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome to M5 ownership! Sounds like you have a mature beast, or well enjoyed as you put it. Good luck and enjoy!:M5launch:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Beautiful car. Looks you're somewhere in the OC ;)...come out to our next meet (which I will have to make as well...I last-minute flaked on the two previous ones due to work) :eek:.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Welcome, Ken(w/ mustache) in the Sterling parts is a great guy, worked at Bullet and Cevier before there.

Would you be the one I saw the other week in Costa Mesa on the 55fwy?(transition from the 73fwy)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome

I could have been me last Wednesday on the 55.
When is the next meeting in OC?

Funny that i was just reading the thread on the spare and got the tire warning driving home tonight. At a glance in the dark everything looked normal but i will have to inspect them better in the morning :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

I could have been me last Wednesday on the 55.
When is the next meeting in OC?

Funny that i was just reading the thread on the spare and got the tire warning driving home tonight. At a glance in the dark everything looked normal but i will have to inspect them better in the morning :confused:
I'm not sure, but I'm sure Chris (Laidback) will let us know...I swear, if Chris wanted to plan my life, I'd let him.

And did you change wheels or tires recently? You might just need a reset.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to look up the records but the tires are fairly recent.

Do i need a special tool or is there a procedure to reset.
I guess i should grab my manual and start digging in.

What is the best tool to get all the faults and codes?:wrench:

I wonder if it could be related to the DSC switch which i have finally had courage to turn off ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have to look up the records but the tires are fairly recent.

Do i need a special tool or is there a procedure to reset.
I guess i should grab my manual and start digging in.

What is the best tool to get all the faults and codes?:wrench:

I wonder if it could be related to the DSC switch which i have finally had courage to turn off ?
Nope, there is a button on the right side of your steering column. The only button there :). Just turn on the car (without starting it, but in a position so that the warning lights are active), hold the button for about 5 seconds. It shouldn't have anything to do with DSC.

As for the fault codes, http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE39/POR_BE39_TOLtol_pg3.htm and buy the Peake Research R5-FCX-3-16. Can't beat one day shipping to SoCal (they ship out of Redondo, I believe).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome!

....and once again it is confirmed that I am WAY too UNhandy to buy a car that needs immediate attention. ouich

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey Jacho, just curious but is that you standing by the drivers door? Because i know that guy! Anyhow, welcome to the board, i believe something is in the works for this coming weekend as far as a meet goes. Right now irvine spectrum sounds like a possibility. There will be a post about it though if it happens, so just keep your eyes peeled. And good luck with getting your car's aches and pains sorted out, you are in the right place for advice!

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,242 Posts
Hey i'm passively looking for a 2003 M5.

Someone mentioned that the car should be "Driven", that is ---been pushed before... if it is not, then problems will pop up when i'll be pushing it.

Is this referring to problems that would have gone wrong before if the car had been pushed, or just the fact that the metal did not get any strain / pressure and buckles because of lack of strain?

Also what is the best place to find a 03 loved m5?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks
Didn't have to do anything about the tire pressure warning since it was gone in the morning.
I am the other guy trying to manually open the trunk cause my keys remote is dead. Where should I get a new one and how much is it?
And since you know the previous owner what can you tell me about my new car?

·
Registered
756 Posts
There is a chance that you may need a new key if your key is not charging while its in the ignition. You could pick one up from crevier bmw, im thinking its about 150 bucks for a new key if that ends up being needed. While i dont know the car very well myself, i know the guy you got the car from and know him to be a good guy, for what its worth. Just remember you have a car with a lot of miles ;). Private message me, and ill give you some info that will at least make the road to addressing your car issues a little less bumpy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts