BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and become knowledgable about my "new to me 2000 M5" (traded my 2003 e46 330ia SE Motorsport - here in New Zealand).
The car is fully covered by my BMW dealer warranty but these are my observations (input required before I go back to dealer):

On a positive, the car looks great, drives great, feels great, sounds great - has 83,000Kms - have a 2 year warranty and service inclusive package.

We have the garage connected to the house and we notice that after a drive, we come back and the garage smells - exhaust type smells.

The car puts out no visible smoke when revved or driven hard but - at startup, I nottice that 70% more smoke/steam comes from the left side when the choke is automatically on, than the right. Even (50/50) once choke goes off.
If you drive off before the choke cuts back, the car doesn't want to rev over 2000 without a splutter/stumble first.

I had the exhaust customised yesterday and it sounds like the best V8 I have ever heard now.
Symptoms were the same before exhaust mod.

When the system was being modded, it was noticed that the cats had already been removedand replaced with straight pipes (added this info in case it helps) - 2 sensors on each side still there.
No leaks or drips anywhere.

Any advise?

My only anoyance is the embarrassing smell.

Thanks in advance for anyones input.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
That smell very well may be from the new exhaust installation. I am on the fence about the single pipes on each side, but anyways depending on whether you simply had mufflers installed or from the cats back some grease may have been used to get the pipes on or something like that. It should burn away after some period of time. Which exhaust manufacturere did you go with?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Congrats to your new car! Good that you have warranty on it.

About the external smell, I agree with Mikeoski, not to worry. It could even be a drop of tar splashed up from the road when passing a road-work. It will burn off with time. Just run the exhaust pipes really warm, and it will probably be gone.

With the catalytic converters removed, how will you pass emissions testing?

The car not revving happily above 2k RPM when cold is not normal. You should definitely look into that.

David

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mikeoski and DavidS for your input.

The smell is still there but maybe a long run is required and then a check-over at the dealer for peace of mind.

The cats were removed by previous owner we guess - no emmissions test here in "Green!!!" New Zealand.

I had custom stainless steel tubes made and wellded on from the H-Pipe back, keeping the original H. Then Rage supplied the rear mufflers - I then had a choice of tail pipes which was all stainless steel welded before re-fitting to the car.

I have listened to all the sounds available on the net and found the result to be as satisfying to me as any - a deep V8 rumble with added growl over 2500rpm - gets admiring head turns and great feedback comments from locals.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
When I think about it, the 2k RPM stumble when cold, could very well be connected to the missing cats. Everything that is dependent on the exhaust back-pressure must be way off. I think a lot of exhausts are recirculated by means of the valve timing during warm-up. Perhaps the missing cats changes this so there is less exhausts in the cylinders during compression, and the combustion therefor is leaner than designed during warm-up.

Perhaps there are other people here who run w/o cats. I think there was one guy in South Africa, and possibly one in an Arab country too. You could try to find those people and ask about startup behavior.

Perhaps the people at Powerchip knows.

Anyway, if the car runs properly once warm, I would not worry too much about this, as the cats are removed. (Had this been a car without the cats removed, I would worry.)

David

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard & congrats!

There can't be too many M5's in NZ and certainly no others with your exhaust setup, although I still prefer the quad pipes.

:byee55amg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats right, they are mainly on the North Island, where I bought mine down from.

In the last 2 years I have only seen 2 others in the Christchurch area on the South Island - as for the New M5 - I don't think we have any yet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to have that exact same problem. It progressively got worse until the car was sounding funny and losing power in acceleration. Come to find out one of my cam-shaft sensors had gone bad and if you had cats removed and altered could be a suspect. And many times it wont show an error message for a while and then it pops up then goes away. Tell someone to thouroughly check those cam shaft sensors. My car is a 2000 as well and this just happened to me in February with about 49,000 MILES on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that Bluestreak - I will show this thread to my dealer.

I have no probs once warm - the acceleration is blisteringly quick and constant - so far right upto 230km/hr (143mph) - mileage is similar though.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Bluestreak,

Was there a fault-code stored?

2 of the 4 Camshaft sensors very often fail on early M5s. There was later a redesign of the sensor. When the sensors are replaced you get the new ones. If they do replace one sensor, they might just as well replace the second one.

Happened to my car too, but abrupt. Had two camshaft sensors replaced, and the car ran fine again.

David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome robord535!

Like you I just bought my 2000 and I am very happy with it.

The smell shall be no problem at all...

·
Registered
266 Posts
DavidS said:
Bluestreak,

Was there a fault-code stored?

2 of the 4 Camshaft sensors very often fail on early M5s. There was later a redesign of the sensor. When the sensors are replaced you get the new ones. If they do replace one sensor, they might just as well replace the second one.

Happened to my car too, but abrupt. Had two camshaft sensors replaced, and the car ran fine again.

David
Yeah there was a fault code but took my mechanics a while to figure out what it meant or was. Dealership was no good, had to go to a dinan guy. But I honestly cant remember if he replaced one or both of them, I think he only replaced one. But recently my service engine soon light came on and the dealership told me that the dinan software was causing the problem so off i go to Dinan again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Did you buy it from Jerry's on the north shore? I had a look at that car too!

Well done nice purchase.

Good to see another kiwi on the board! I've been hanging around since being a regular poster when I was in the UK and had an E34 M5 - which was excellent on the A roads and trackdays...

Moved home to Akl NZ about 3 years ago - having to make do with a 328 at the mo but I will be back! I'm keeping an eye on the market currently.

Just out of curiousity BMW to told me they sold 38 M5's new in NZ (which I think is great effort for a small country), and I guess there will be a few imports kicking around - have you seen any?

congrats
Stu

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Stu,

Yes, my one was from Jerry Clayton's - I have been looking out for a Carbon Black one for the last 8 months. The car is now down here in Methven (South Island) near Mt Hutt.

I had the car sent down without seeing it other than in dig pics - there were a lot of fine scratches on it but they have all polished out. I was a bit concerned about the mileage but the 2 year warranty helped.

I have only been in NZ for 2 years (5 years in Australia and then Ireland before that and England before that) and in that time, I have only seen 2 other M5s in the flesh, both Avus Blue and sold through Christchurch - saw one other import in the Weekend Press once - thats it.

So other than imports were there only 38 e39 M5s sold here? - Great feeling if its true - exclusivity or what!

My first BMW was an E32 730, then an e34 535 (robord535), then e36 328, the e85 Z4, the e46 330, now e39 M5. (Its a habbit!)

Are you looking to get an M5 again then?

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice work!

Yep BMW NZ said they only sold 38, they'll sell about as many new ones - pretty "lumpy" at $225k new - better work harder to get one!

Re the M5 purchase - just sniffing around at the mo - like you it will take me ages to find one that is perfect/price/warranty etc. My car in the UK was awesome, didn't have any reliablity issues (ie always started) but did have a few niggles with it - so I am going to be really careful with my next M car.

Re the bm'er habit - keep fuelling it! NZ is good place we seem to get all the good ones relitively early...

catch you soon
stu

robord535 said:
Hi Stu,

Yes, my one was from Jerry Clayton's - I have been looking out for a Carbon Black one for the last 8 months. The car is now down here in Methven (South Island) near Mt Hutt.

I had the car sent down without seeing it other than in dig pics - there were a lot of fine scratches on it but they have all polished out. I was a bit concerned about the mileage but the 2 year warranty helped.

I have only been in NZ for 2 years (5 years in Australia and then Ireland before that and England before that) and in that time, I have only seen 2 other M5s in the flesh, both Avus Blue and sold through Christchurch - saw one other import in the Weekend Press once - thats it.

So other than imports were there only 38 e39 M5s sold here? - Great feeling if its true - exclusivity or what!

My first BMW was an E32 730, then an e34 535 (robord535), then e36 328, the e85 Z4, the e46 330, now e39 M5. (Its a habbit!)

Are you looking to get an M5 again then?

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome to the board and interseting and unique exhaust upgrade, first time I have seen just two pipes out the rear, Josh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts