BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY got a beast !! love it but now after 1K miles its acting up !! ARRGH !!
75K miles on an 03 sold in 04

running fine till tonight ... noticed a little bit of roughness on very low throttle settings ... barely cracked in traffic ..
SO I broke out my NEW GT1 Scanner and after an hour or so trying to get it to connect (first time to use it)..FINALLY she spits out a couple codes

this what the screens said ....
and WHAT do I fix ???
It will drive at 75+MPH
set the SES light
failsafe program shown on info area of dash ....
PLEASE HELP !!

did I say I love the car !!!! really do !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hiya,

It seems to be the throttle potentiometers at the throttle pedal (above and behind the top of it).

I think there are 2 of them and they cross reference each other to make sure one or the other is not giving a false, implausible reading...

Any work carried out in that area recently ?

Good Luck

Reactions: 540rocket

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
none ... haven't touched her yet at all ... can I safely drover the car to get parts ?

so its NOT the throttle actuator under the plenum ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
magically the symptom disappeared this AM ?? HUMMM ... still has the SES .. but nothing else ? an anomaly ??
dont have any experience in this kind of failure .. will my 540 parts be the same ??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well let me be the first to say it.... Congrats on the ///M!!

The symptoms disappeared, but did the codes associated with the symptoms disappear as well? Are you throwing different codes? Did you clear the codes and they returned? Or different codes pop up??

I've had failures on systems before that reset simply after shutting the ignition off and restarting. Kinda like Ctrl-Alt-Del, when in doubt reboot. Almost anytime when you get codes, clear them and see if they return. That's when you start chasing them. If you don't have a Peake reader, get one.

·
Registered
841 Posts
gt1/dis is quite a bit more comprehensive than a simple peake

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was pretty frustrated at first as I couldnt get the GT1 to connect to the car, but once I DID it seems to be pretty straight forward. Haven't figured out how to clear the SES light yet but the car SEEMS to be running 100% today ... kind of baffled about the disappearing symptom tho

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
gt1/dis is quite a bit more comprehensive than a simple peake
agreed. i will simply plead ignorance.

but can you travel with the gt1 in the front door storage space and reset codes in 15 seconds?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shoot me a PM if you need help clearing codes with the GT1 or anything like that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
AWESOME !!that would be GREAT !!! seems like a very cool tool !

·
Registered
74 Posts
agreed. i will simply plead ignorance.

but can you travel with the gt1 in the front door storage space and reset codes in 15 seconds?

Your argument for having the Peake is being able to reset the codes in 15 seconds? Peake is great in its own right, but nothing compares to the GT1 and it fits in a laptop bag.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your argument for having the Peake is being able to reset the codes in 15 seconds? Peake is great in its own right, but nothing compares to the GT1 and it fits in a laptop bag.

Being able to quickly reset a code hold less use for me versus a detailed diagnostic that I can actually use. Instead of 7B or 6A haha.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Same Problem

I had the same problem when I bought my car - every so often, it would go into that "failsafe" mode. Turned out to be the "drive-by-wire" throttle: had that fixed, and haven't had the problem since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts