BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per subject, I've never seen this before...

Topped up my windscreen wash this evening and went to work as normal. Once I arrived at work, got out and locked the car and noticed a puddle of something just below my drivers side front wheel. :3:

I'm thinking oil, EDC fluid, coolant, bank loans etc... :crying:

Then I saw it, from my drivers side headlight cleaning nozzles, a steady stream of water :eek:
BTW:It did not look like it was going to stop, most probably until the tank was empty. The pump wasn't running, it must have been a gravity thing ouich

Anyway, I opened the car and turned on the ignition and fired the screen wash with headlamps on, in order that it would clean the headlights, which it did and then no more seepage...

Not the most serious of problems, but a strange one none-the-less...
I don't think there are any valves, just the pump and associated tubing. Must be something to do with the coooold weather :2:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Plisken,

Mine leaks a little bit too, and intermittently. There are numerous joins in the pipework between the bottle and the nozzles. At some point I intend to go through and replace/seal the joins properly. It'll probably take about two hours and about £15 in parts, but ultimately worthwhile to save the cost of the washer fluid!!

Gop, the Audi's washer fluid bottle was quite fragile plastic - whereas BMW washer bottles are very flexible. I know what you mean though, I had two replacements on a Quattro.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The pipeworks horrible under the washer bottle. I replaced all the metal crimp clips with jubilee's and still it leaked.

The problem seamed to be with the connector block which enables the bumper to be removed without undoing the metal crimps. It connects the two supply hoses (headlights and fogs) from the pump to the bumper hoses via two nipples fitted with o-rings. I removed it from the circuit and chucked it in the bin. Problem solved......

Oh one other thing it could be is the nozzles. They have a backing nut which clamps them to the bumper. The hose connection ferrel is then pushed into the back. It clicks in place. Sometimes it pops out with frost. Not often obvious unless you know to look. Nozzles cost about 10 quid.

Best access is from below. Removing the righthand fog light helps. Get someone to operate the washers with the headlights and fogs switched on. Mine were actually reversed!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a significant washer fluid leak from the connector to the light washing system. Got a couple of new 'O' rings from the stealer and no more problems. As has been stated already in this thread, the plumbing for the washer systems is surprisingly complex!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Plisken

I would almost guarantee it is the valve which connects to the nozzles. I've had this problem with my 'foglight' washers. The valve is the same for both and has a tendancy to fail. It's number nine in the diagram at this URL: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC92&mospid=47387&prod=19920900&btnr=61_0056&hg=61&fg=45

Good luck

Brian

AndyE said:
Plisken,

Mine leaks a little bit too, and intermittently. There are numerous joins in the pipework between the bottle and the nozzles. At some point I intend to go through and replace/seal the joins properly. It'll probably take about two hours and about £15 in parts, but ultimately worthwhile to save the cost of the washer fluid!!

Gop, the Audi's washer fluid bottle was quite fragile plastic - whereas BMW washer bottles are very flexible. I know what you mean though, I had two replacements on a Quattro.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's the thingy......I also removed items 6,7,8 and the short length of hose to the T's.......it removes a lot of uneccessary leak points.

Interesting how the pump runs in two directions to wash either the headlamps or the fogs. VW use a similar idea for front or rear screen wash.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ECM4 said:
That's the thingy......I also removed items 6,7,8 and the short length of hose to the T's.......it removes a lot of uneccessary leak points.

Interesting how the pump runs in two directions to wash either the headlamps or the fogs. VW use a similar idea for front or rear screen wash.
Interesting that there is a valve in there, must be some sort of spring return type action.

It did look strange, as though gravity had taken effect, as I say thought, once operated again, all was well...

BTW: I don't have fog light cleaning
:sad1:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ECM4 said:
Are you sure? The nozzles are above the lights....How can you manage without it?
I'm almost certain I've never seens any nozzles down there...

I trust they would also only work when the lights are on, ie the fog lights...

I might just have to nip outside and have a look ouich

·
Registered
395 Posts
Indeed it does......clever electronics reverse the motor pumping water to the fog nozzles. Headlights first then fogs then headlights then fogs. I think each get two blasts but I've never been sharp enough to nip round for a look!

Maybe you could take a volunteer out with you for an active demo!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ECM4 said:
Indeed it does......clever electronics reverse the motor pumping water to the fog nozzles. Headlights first then fogs then headlights then fogs. I think each get two blasts but I've never been sharp enough to nip round for a look!

Maybe you could take a volunteer out with you for an active demo!
Well I never...

Headlights first, then fogs, both twice...

I honestly never knew my car had them.

To be honest, don't really think it would have mattered as both fog light jets missed the lenses completely, I'll leave adjustment for another time.

:cheers:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure if it is the same as windshield washers but they all have a check valve to keep pressure in the line so the pump doesn't have to fill the line before the jets work. Seeing as the light washers are lower than the tank possibly they have a check valve so gravity doesn't drain the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts