BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They steal money and have no accountability. The following story bothers me not because of the money (it's a trivial amount), but the principal of it is incredibly angering.

Let me start by saying I am as big a BMW fan as you will find. My last three cars were an E46 M3, an E60 M5, and currently an E63 M6 Convertible (the MOST EXPENSIVE cars they sell). I also trade in and out of cars often so I am a dealership's best friend.

My M5 was on a two year lease. With two months left, I decided that I'd get an M6 for my next car so I went to the dealership to make a deal. We agreed on a deal for my new $117,000 MSRP M6 that included terminating my M5 lease two months early. Simple deal, leave the M5, drive off in the M6. All sides were happy.

6 months later I get a call from an unknown number in Atlanta. It's a collections agency that has been given a debt of $255 resulting from the lease disposition of my M5. Obviously there is some mistake but there is no use arguing with a collections agency, you have to just pay the money and then argue with whomever sent the debt to collections in the first place. So I paid the $255 + a $12 service charge immediately and figured Century West would easily refund my money since it obviously arose from their mistake.

Yesterday I go in to talk to them about it and spoke with the manager, I believe his name is Jimmy who rudely tells me, "oh yeah that's from the sales tax on the two remaining payments. we don't pay the sales tax." Instead of just terminating the lease early, they paid the $1500+ payment for two months but not the $127 of sales tax on it. Since the car was no longer registered to my address, I got no notification of any delinquency until it was sent to collections.

Obviously the deal we made did not include me paying $255 of sales tax for two payments I wasn't making. If they had even suggested such a thing when I was about to buy a $117,000 car from them would have made me walk out and leave the dealership.

One would think that at this point Jimmy would simply cut me a check for the nominal amount resulting from their error, retain a valuable client, and call it a day. Instead, he first gives me a line about not having the authority to refund my money because he doesn't know how to account for it. Then he offers to cut me a check for $130 and "split it with me". What? You have the authority to refund $130 of your screw up but not the other $130?? He finally left it at "I'll talk to the owner as soon as he gets off the phone and get authorization." Not surprisingly, 24 hours later I have not received a call back.

I am SHOCKED at how little regard for its customers this dealer has shown. To alienate any customer over a $260 mistake that was clearly the dealership's is simply idiotic, let alone a customer who has on numerous occasions bought the most expensive car on the floor. I really don't care about the $260, but I will certainly let everyone know what kind of business these people are running.

Reactions: bodaddy

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They steal money and have no accountability. The following story bothers me not because of the money (it's a trivial amount), but the principal of it is incredibly angering.

Let me start by saying I am as big a BMW fan as you will find. My last three cars were an E46 M3, an E60 M5, and currently an E63 M6 Convertible (the MOST EXPENSIVE cars they sell). I also trade in and out of cars often so I am a dealership's best friend.

My M5 was on a two year lease. With two months left, I decided that I'd get an M6 for my next car so I went to the dealership to make a deal. We agreed on a deal for my new $117,000 MSRP M6 that included terminating my M5 lease two months early. Simple deal, leave the M5, drive off in the M6. All sides were happy.

6 months later I get a call from an unknown number in Atlanta. It's a collections agency that has been given a debt of $255 resulting from the lease disposition of my M5. Obviously there is some mistake but there is no use arguing with a collections agency, you have to just pay the money and then argue with whomever sent the debt to collections in the first place. So I paid the $255 + a $12 service charge immediately and figured Century West would easily refund my money since it obviously arose from their mistake.

Yesterday I go in to talk to them about it and spoke with the manager, I believe his name is Jimmy who rudely tells me, "oh yeah that's from the sales tax on the two remaining payments. we don't pay the sales tax." Instead of just terminating the lease early, they paid the $1500+ payment for two months but not the $127 of sales tax on it. Since the car was no longer registered to my address, I got no notification of any delinquency until it was sent to collections.

Obviously the deal we made did not include me paying $255 of sales tax for two payments I wasn't making. If they had even suggested such a thing when I was about to buy a $117,000 car from them would have made me walk out and leave the dealership.

One would think that at this point Jimmy would simply cut me a check for the nominal amount resulting from their error, retain a valuable client, and call it a day. Instead, he first gives me a line about not having the authority to refund my money because he doesn't know how to account for it. Then he offers to cut me a check for $130 and "split it with me". What? You have the authority to refund $130 of your screw up but not the other $130?? He finally left it at "I'll talk to the owner as soon as he gets off the phone and get authorization." Not surprisingly, 24 hours later I have not received a call back.

I am SHOCKED at how little regard for its customers this dealer has shown. To alienate any customer over a $260 mistake that was clearly the dealership's is simply idiotic, let alone a customer who has on numerous occasions bought the most expensive car on the floor. I really don't care about the $260, but I will certainly let everyone know what kind of business these people are running.
Clearly this dealership has the business sense of a dead cockroach! :dunno:

Thanks for sharing we all need this kind of heads up. One thing I found about Nick Alexander BMW is that once you develop relationships with key people at a dealership they go out of there way to take car of you.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i also had a bad experience at century west...
i think their customer service is on par with the a used car sales lot.
you should talk to eloy from rpi to see what he would recommend doing..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Have you always dealt with this same dealership?
I'm assuming not, given their treatment of you, totally unacceptable. They could have easily made you feel great by saying, "we normally don't do this, but since you're a valued customer, we'll make this exception." You walk out feeling like a million bucks and refer all your friends to them.
Instead, they pull this ****e.
By the way, isn't there a 14 day window to return your car purchase/lease without penalty? You should return the car and get another one from a nearby dealership.

·
Registered
907 Posts
There is no "Cooling Off" period for car purchases in CA.......wow...I can't believe the response you got.....I would suggest you next to speak to someone higher up....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im sure this is a very stupid question but what is a "Cooling Off Period" ???

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this transaction happened 6 months ago! That's why it was sent to collections. Apparently they tried to send a bill but since I wasn't the registered owner anymore it went to the dealership and they never thought to take care of it or notify me...

·
Registered
915 Posts
not the first time ive heard bad things about century west..

·
Registered
988 Posts
You are a better person than I am...as soon as Jimmy contradicted himself about not being able to account for 270.00, but being able to account for the lesser amount, that would have been it.I would have gone ballistic!!. He is either lying to you, or the owner keeps him on a rather short leash...neither situation is proper for dealing with high dollar automobiles/ customers..good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I am trying to figure out why they would not have just paid the lease early and turned in the car. That is soething you and I might not be able to do, but dealerships are indeed allowed to do that. My only guess is that the owner or sales manager or someone drove the car for the last 2 months. That is their choice since they are making the payments - correction: as long as they are mking thepayments. Whcih they clearly were not.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not at all..some states allow for a period of time (mostly for used car transactions) where the buyer can bring the car back and get his money back....stems from back when used car dealers would sell someone a car that they couldn't afford or didn't actually want but maybe were pressured into.......I believe it is usually for 3 days....

Im sure this is a very stupid question but what is a "Cooling Off Period" ???

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also check to see whether the car was still in your name the last two months they paid it? If so, they are going to have a liability problem, because you didn't authorize them to drive around a car that might have still been in your name! I would be pissed!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Frankly I've never had a good 'relationship' with any of the BMW dealers (3 of them) around Houston. They've all treated me kinda crappy, but I like the cars too much to leave. After the warranty is up (unless I buy an extended one from them) I'm going to go to local shops instead.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Offroadr I can appreciate your situation but some dealers are stealers with little or no sense of their customer base or expectations. I really believe that BMW and others are very confused of the type of service model they need to have in place. They are catering to a very large financial demographic now with all the different model options and it will be interesting how they turn out in the future.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Crap! Really?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts