BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity tomorrow to purchase a 2001 M5 from a private party tomorrow. The car has 19K miles, one owner and he is aksing a bit over $50,000. I had the car inspected by the dealer and it came back clean as well as having a clean service history and carfax report. The car has every feature I want except for PDC. I am a little nervous about putting down $50K for a used car even though, as a former 540iA Sport owner, I know the 5 series are amazing cars.

I am not sure what I am expecting to get out of this post, it might just be the nervous energy. Has anyone regretted getting their M5? :eek:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not me.... my only regret is that I waited so long...

I wish you very happy miles in your soon to be new car.

They are truely phenomenal!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just grit your teeth, make out the check, and then get in it and drive down a tankful of gas. I think thats way better than valium to calm you down. You wont remember the check till balance time comes, and by then the smile will be a permanent fixture on your mug! best car I have ever bought.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
This could be the most expensive used car you will ever buy! But it is worth it!
A blast to drive! The car gets a lot repsect from car enthusiasts but not a lot of attention. If you are looking for attention buy a "Vette". This car is the most fun daily driver I have ever experienced! These cars are not collectable or hanger Queens, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed. If it is the money, buy a cheaper car that you will not enjoy as much, but will be a better investment.
The cheaper the car you buy, the less money you have to lose. BUY IT DRIVE IT
AND HAVE A BLAST!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
If the history on the car checks out and she looks clean, quickley pull the trigger and start enjoying one of the most satisfying cars on the planet. It will provide immediate satisfaction and enjoyment and will cause you to look for reasons to drive. Oh and don't worry about the cheshire cat smile, we all have that.:D

Regards,
:cheers:
T.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just Do It!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a supercharged mustang cobra with around 430 crank hp. loved the power but not all of the shakes rattles and rolls... sold it for a 2002 540i 6sp which by all rights is a great car...no more shakes, rattles and rolls, but I missed the power...then along came a used 03 beast which comes very close to combining the attributes of both cars...cost more than my first house, my wife thought I was crazy...then I drove it...the rest is automotive history...saving grace, my wife loves the colors...

I don't think you will find anyone here that regrets the purchase, at least none that will do so in print, lolol...

good luck with your decision

al

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How to test for a slipping clutch?

This M5 will be my first manual since I owned a old Maza 6 sedan! All my other cars have been manuals. One of the main items of concern and replacement that I have seen has been the clutch. Can anyone provide a description about how I could tell if the clutch is slipping when I give it a test drive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Go for it! The market value is what it is. You will suffer less depreciaton per mile than those of us who paid sticker or more. You don't hear us complaining do you. Go for it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
you will know when the clutch slips...rpm's with no acceleration. will prob notice it more in 3rd or 4th as you accelerate. I know this from a test drive, not mine, but there was no mistaking.

al

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How to test for a slipping clutch?

This M5 will be my first manual since I owned a old Maza 6 sedan! All my other cars have been manuals. One of the main items of concern and replacement that I have seen has been the clutch. Can anyone provide a description about how I could tell if the clutch is slipping when I give it a test drive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Step on the gas and rev :M5rev: the sh*t out of it. If it's not moving :M5launch: then your clutch is f*ck...But you will know all this beforehand when you even try to time the first gear and nothing is happening...I think..hehe

-John

Obviously, you are not going to find anyone here that regret getting the M5..hence M5board.com..hehehe..sorry just wanted to point that out

·
Registered
356 Posts
M5 purchase Inspection

Osodog,

You are right about it being alot of money for a used car. But if you have been looking at M5's for awhile, you know that it is a better deal than if you would have bought it new. The other guy took the depreciation for age and not use judging by the mileage. It should be under warranty or close to the end to cover the clutch.

All said, it's your comfort level about buying the car, you could buy a STi and be amazed in a different way or be amazed with the M5 with it's blend of doing everything with style, comfort, practicality, and performance in one package. Everytime I drive mine, it convinces me that I bought the right car for what I want out of car that can do everything so well.

If you are in the LA area and want somebody to look at it once more with you before you decide, go ahead and PM me and I will look at the car with you. I'm sure that I could rationalize buying the car or convince you not to buy it depending on the circumstances. There are alot of other cars that you could buy new for what you are paying for a used car (but only 14K miles) ; STi, EVO 8, M3, GTO, Z06, 350Z, R32, S2000, IS300, RX8, S4, etc...... Just depends on waht you need the car for.

Good luck, John

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can olny do so much research - then you gotta make the decision and not look back.

The driving experience of the M5 is nothing short of phenominal - follow the Nike slogan JUST DO IT!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Questions to ask us you're self.
1...Styling..well you know that well enough with the 540 you owned...very clean and now a BMW classic since we've seen the E60.
2...Day to day function, even though it's a manual, it's not an issue with the M5.
3...Build quality, one word BMW
4...Interior, again BMW
5...Power...plenty more then a 540 and you'll fall in love with the torque it makes.
It's the best combination of all factors you would want in a 4 door, and you can get one for 50K.....I would say go for it, l can't see how you could come back to us and say you're disappointed with it (as you said it's been checked out in detail)
APPLES

·
Registered
49 Posts
My only regret is the anxiety I receive from taking a long trip without having
put a real spare in the trunk. I still have not done it yet but will soon! I have not had a flat yet.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
BMWsilverstreak said:
My only regret is the anxiety I receive from taking a long trip without having
put a real spare in the trunk. I still have not done it yet but will soon! I have not had a flat yet.
I just drove from Denver to North Carolina (2 days :) ) and didn't even think about it. Car has brand new Pilot Sports however. I take that back...when I was in the middle of Kansas, i.e. what felt like "the middle of nowhere" :), I did have the thought of: "what happens if I break down here and need a BMW dealer?" Here I was pondering how many hundred miles the closest dealership was in the case that I needed serious work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hopefully by now you have purchased the beast and have enjoyed your first tank of petro. You'll never go back........

Cheers then,
Kevin

·
Registered
564 Posts
Osodog said:
I am not sure what I am expecting to get out of this post, it might just be the nervous energy. Has anyone regretted getting their M5? :eek:
Not at all. No. Never. Not once.

I hope you pulled the trigger on the '01. It will leave a smile on your face every time you drive it. I have an '01 as well and I have an ear to ear grin every time I climb in the cockpit.:cheers:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Osodog said:
Has anyone regretted getting their M5? :eek:
Man, if you're looking for someone to tell you not to buy an M5, you've come to the wrong place! :cheers:

I also came out of a 540i before the Beast (nickname of the the M5). As for the 540, I drove it, modded it, loved it. But I never looked back. Drive the Beast and forever be spoiled. The first thing you will notice is the fast-revving engine and the shorter gears. I felt I was running out of gears too fast!

One word of advice though: Be VERY careful of the way you treat the clutch.
Because of the engine power, it will tolerate very little slipping. Be sure to let the clutch fully engage before applying throttle. Member Greg has taken some excellent instructional videos on how to drive the beast. A good viewing before you pick up your beast.

http://www.bmwm5.com/greg/school/

Good luck and congratulations! :happybirt

1 - 20 of 35 Posts