BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bent my right front strut (long story) yesterday and am looking for a single one of these. The part is the same for either a 540i (which I have) or an M5 -- either will work.

Please contact me directly if you have one - this was a costly mistake and I'd like to not pay retail for a brand new one. email is peakay at geemail (you know what I am saying...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
The time you'll spend waiting to find a used single Koni shock isn't worth it, money and time wise. I would strongly recommend doing it right and buying 1 if not 2 new shocks, or you'll be riding on that bent shock for a long time while you wait for a used one, which could result in more damage and more money. I mean it's already been almost 3 months since you posted this...

This is the closest you'll find to a single, used, Koni:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-sale-wanted-bmw-m3-m5-m6-x5m-x6m-1-m-coupe-alpina-models/171279-1-ground-control-coilover-w-camber-plate.html

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The time you'll spend waiting to find a used single Koni shock isn't worth it, money and time wise. I would strongly recommend doing it right and buying 1 if not 2 new shocks, or you'll be riding on that bent shock for a long time while you wait for a used one, which could result in more damage and more money. I mean it's already been almost 3 months since you posted this...
Mom, is that you?? Thanks for the concern, but I don't drive the car much and the shop does not know for sure if that is even the problem -- they are just assuming. I am not psyched about throwing $500-$1000 at the car when i don't even know 100% that that will fix the problem. Thanks for the link though -- wish that one would work.

Hey, do you want to buy me a new pair? I mean they are only $700.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Mom, is that you?? Thanks for the concern, but I don't drive the car much and the shop does not know for sure if that is even the problem -- they are just assuming. I am not psyched about throwing $500-$1000 at the car when i don't even know 100% that that will fix the problem. Thanks for the link though -- wish that one would work.

Hey, do you want to buy me a new pair? I mean they are only $700.
We're all fellow members here. No reason for this type of response when others are trying to help you out. No one is going to recommend something to a fellow board member that would put them at risk.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
A solution would be to take the front dampers out and send them to Koni.They can tell you if a damper rod is bent and replace it.Will cost you way less money to have both dampers rebuilt than buying new ones...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
We're all fellow members here. No reason for this type of response when others are trying to help you out. No one is going to recommend something to a fellow board member that would put them at risk.

Good luck on your search.
let me add his attitude won't encourage anyone to help him now or in the future.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
...and the shop does not know for sure if that is even the problem -- they are just assuming.
I'll help him out.

1). Get a new shop. One that doesn't assume.

2). Get an M5.

3). Enjoy! hiha

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I guess I was not in the mood to receive more unsolicited advice. I'm simply looking for a single Koni strut -- that is all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1). Get a new shop. One that doesn't assume.
Can you suggest an alternative way? This is the best racing shop in the area and their experience is that the strut tends to bend in that situation. It's a Dinan stage 3 suspension including the camber plates, so I am not aware of how else they would be able to measure and determine the cause. It's not necessarily the wrong approach, but it could turn out that the strut is not the issue. I hate to do the guessing game with retail parts and my own wallet.

If you have an alternative solution, I am all ears.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Sorry, I guess I was not in the mood to receive more unsolicited advice. I'm simply looking for a single Koni strut -- that is all.
Its alright...

May I ask what shop you took your car to? And also, perhaps you could share with us what happened to cause the damage? This would give us a better basis to determine what could be wrong, if even, shock related.

As vantaam5 mentioned, since it is a Koni shock, you can send it to Koni directly and have them rebuild it for you. You don't have to mention to them what's wrong with it since they will perform an inspection and provide you with the repair estimate.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I guess the damper is leaking,right?

Remember you have a lifetime warranty on Koni shocks,so there is even a chance the rebuild does not cost you anything..

Just get in touch with them and fine.

This is the only right and most likely cheapest way to solve the issue.

Take this advice or leave it.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
May I ask what shop you took your car to? And also, perhaps you could share with us what happened to cause the damage? This would give us a better basis to determine what could be wrong, if even, shock related.

As vantaam5 mentioned, since it is a Koni shock, you can send it to Koni directly and have them rebuild it for you. You don't have to mention to them what's wrong with it since they will perform an inspection and provide you with the repair estimate.
Thanks -- i truly do appreciate it. To get this started back on the right foot, I went ahead and started a proper help/advice thread at the link below. All the details are there if you wouldn't mind taking a look. Thanks in advance.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ront-suspension-input-sought.html#post1995943

The shock is not leaking...I just have an extra .7 degrees negative. anyway, read on....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ront-suspension-input-sought.html#post1995943

1 - 15 of 15 Posts