BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, first off, let me say that I know how to search and yes, I read threads on AA code, but I still think that my situation is somewhat different from the ones described in there. Here is what happens. During a warm-up, when my car idles when it is stationary I get no codes at all, although I let it idle anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes. There is no rough idle, no strange sounds - nothing, everything is just normal. I turn the motor off, read codes (there is nothing to read), turn the motor on and start driving. When, having driven a car for about 5 mins, I stop to check codes - I get AA code. It looks quite strange to me because, based on what I read, the secondary air pump stops working after about 2 mins after the first start and it is well within the warm-up time, where, as I have mentioned, I get no codes. I tried those measurements for 4 times (last 2 days) and the result is the same. Stationary idle for 2 - 3 mins - no codes, driving after that for 5 minutes - AA code. I would appreciate your comments and/or suggestions. One more piece of puzzle: the car was in a garage for last 2 months, but battery was tended and it shows 75 %. The car is 2000 with 67 k on it. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
When the error is detected, a code stored. There it remains until cleared. The only novelty about what you describe is if you are never clearing your codes, and still report findings as above. Separately, it is not wise to let the car idle to warm up; hopefully that is just your diagnostic practice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, I forgot to mention that every time I see a code I clear them. About idling: I do not warm it up longer than 30 sec or so. This time I do it for that long only to make sure that air pump has stopped working. As I said it - I need to make see if the code does/does not appear during the time when air pump is working.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Check secondary air is a cat check and it happens later. It does not happen when you are thinking it does. At some point during warm up the computer checks the way the cats are working. If they are not fully active it fires the code. Usually it will not set until the third cold start between 3 -5 min after start up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responce. If this is a cat problem, do you think that taking her out and giving her some beans could help? like I said the car has been sitting a my garage for about 2.5 months before AA code started showing. Prior to that it was my daily driver, and there was no codes (I usually check codes once in 3 weeks). Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
hi guys, first off, let me say that I know how to search and yes, I read threads on AA code, but I still think that my situation is somewhat different from the ones described in there. Here is what happens. During a warm-up, when my car idles when it is stationary I get no codes at all, although I let it idle anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes. There is no rough idle, no strange sounds - nothing, everything is just normal. I turn the motor off, read codes (there is nothing to read), turn the motor on and start driving. When, having driven a car for about 5 mins, I stop to check codes - I get AA code. It looks quite strange to me because, based on what I read, the secondary air pump stops working after about 2 mins after the first start and it is well within the warm-up time, where, as I have mentioned, I get no codes. I tried those measurements for 4 times (last 2 days) and the result is the same. Stationary idle for 2 - 3 mins - no codes, driving after that for 5 minutes - AA code. I would appreciate your comments and/or suggestions. One more piece of puzzle: the car was in a garage for last 2 months, but battery was tended and it shows 75 %. The car is 2000 with 67 k on it. Thank you.

The code does not appear the first time you start the car. It has to be repeated for the code to generate. It can take up to 5 starts for the SES light to kick on for the AA code.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Thank you for your responce. If this is a cat problem, do you think that taking her out and giving her some beans could help? like I said the car has been sitting a my garage for about 2.5 months before AA code started showing. Prior to that it was my daily driver, and there was no codes (I usually check codes once in 3 weeks). Thank you.
Have you checked to see is your air pump is working it may have seized while sitting? If it works then this applies.No, driving it hard does nothing. It is not a cat problem the extra air lights the cats to make them start working faster, the o2 sensors figure it out. There are thousands of posts on this, just search. The only real choice is to get the software fix. Or you can be AA free for part of the year if you move up here where the temp is below 0 most of the time and there is not call for the secondary air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts