BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas Today I called bmw stealership Bill Jacobs in Naperville and asked if they could turn my DRL off ?! The guy on the other side on line was from service department and told me that they won't be able and that that's a safety blah blah blah! ! and refused to turn them off !! :dunno: :confused2 Now just wonder if anyone in Chicago-land could recommend me what dealer to go to turn them off ? they're pretty annoyng . thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
If its like the MZ3 at all, just locate the headlight relay and swap it out with a non-DRL relay.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Took mine into the dealer right before they closed and they did it for free....although I know the guys rather well.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I think it is a dealer procedure. It will probably cost you an hour's labor, unless you know someone at the dealer who will do it for free.

As to a safety issue, yes ... but, the gas that is used up (yes, it does use gas to turn the alternator to charge the battery to light the bulbs) is more important to me.

This whole "lights on for safety issue" came up in the trucking industry. The trucking industry has a lot of burned out bulbs to replace on a regular basis. They did tests and found that if the lights were on all the time, they lasted a lot longer. And, they even found that at less than full amperage/voltage (I'm not sure which), it worked as well. It was the issue of keeping the filaments warm ... it is the on/off (hot/cold) of the filament that wears them out the fastest. And, so they saved the cost of thousands of bulbs and the labor to replace them.

Then the "yeawhos" caught on ... and, now we all have it, or the option to have it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've also been told this is a simple thing for the dealerships to take care of. Though I've seen charges of up to 1 hr in labor.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I had mine turned off by a local BMW shop.. Pluged in the computer 5 min later it was off + $45 service fee.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for input guys Just got off the phone with Fields BMW and they'll do it for $135 took appt. next sat.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
lol but what option i mean additional option do i have to program to it or however?
Did you look at the link he posted???

(Maybe edit your reply to be clearer...)

There are multiple programmable options one was able to chose at no charge when the car was originally sold by the dealer. DRL is but one. I had mine turned off- HATE them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After I bought my '03 M5 from a private seller, I had the DRL programmed off by a local mechanic who specializes in BMW and he did it for free (dropped off for some other maintenance work). Said it was a very simple procedure. He also turned off the chimes when I locked and unlocked the doors as well as the auto-lock feature when the car was in motion. It pays to find a trusted local mechanic vs dealer (they will always find ways to rip you off). I also have a Carbon Black -- love it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts