BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's just say zhp weighting = metal + stock led ring = short

Is there are source for JUST the led ring replacement (RealOEM states that led is not available separately)

Does anyone have a better idea - anyone make their own? I did some searching on "led knob replacement" and variants to no avail. . .also looked for a write-up from whatheheck on his blue led knob mod but could not find it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have an LED assembly that came out of my old OEM knob. Is that what you are looking for?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an LED assembly that came out of my old OEM knob. Is that what you are looking for?
Yessir I am! I attached a picture of what I have from my MY2000 which I apparently fried - even with the zhp down to the metal (in the second picture) the led bulb still sits a little too high to put the translucent shift pattern back on so I am wondering if later years had a different led housing that works better???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
A side question.. How did you manage to remove the shift pattern off the knob?
Mine is all cracked/flaked from the inside, and was considering replacing it with a new one from leatherZ , but I don't know a safe way to remove the old one without risking to sctratch the knob itself.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A side question.. How did you manage to remove the shift pattern off the knob?
Mine is all cracked/flaked from the inside, and was considering replacing it with a new one from leatherZ , but I don't know a safe way to remove the old one without risking to sctratch the knob itself.
on the OEM knob I used a VERY small flathead screwdriver and a blow dryer to heat the glue and just taped around where I was prying and gently lever'd it up.

on the ZHP I just taped well and used the same flathead to gently pry. . .

Reactions: OC e39r

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Russap5 - would you be willing to part ways with yours?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Russap5 - would you be willing to part ways with yours?
Yea I don't really have a need for it. I can send you my old OEM knob, it is not in great condition but the LED part is working fine. I would remove it but it looks like it may be difficult to get the wires through and out of the top?

Reactions: mkaehly

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
That ZHP knob should work with just a little more sanding, I think you can bend the red LED just a tad too. I would use some silicone glue at the base to keep it all in place

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I don't really have a need for it. I can send you my old OEM knob, it is not in great condition but the LED part is working fine. I would remove it but it looks like it may be difficult to get the wires through and out of the top?
Great - I will PM you and THANKS!

That ZHP knob should work with just a little more sanding, I think you can bend the red LED just a tad too. I would use some silicone glue at the base to keep it all in place
blackxs - do you mean more "sanding" of the metal - because I am already down to the bare metal with plenty of room on the outside. If that is the case I can shave off another millimeter or so. . .is that what you mean?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Reactions: mkaehly

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great direction Tim! order placed from link above!

Great information guys. I was just about finnished with the lighted ZHP mod when I stepped on the LED unit from the OEM knob on the garage floor and shattered it. Nice move....I too will be placing a order as above.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
That's what I'm here for..... LOL.....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Care to elaborate on making your own exactly Timmay?

Do you simply mean connect the single led up to the existing 2 shift knob wires and glue the LED in place under the shift emblem???

I removed the OEM LED array from the M5 knob and fitted it to my ZHP shifter, but i'd always appreciate a heads up in case the worst happens and i can then make my own

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Do you simply mean connect the single led up to the existing 2 shift knob wires and glue the LED in place under the shift emblem???

I removed the OEM LED array from the M5 knob and fitted it to my ZHP shifter, but i'd always appreciate a heads up in case the worst happens and i can then make my own
I'll snap some pics and post them assuming I am successful. . . .I ordered a few different styles and colors so I could see which worked best. . .I am also going to try a stealth foot-well light

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

I was just pointing out that it would be very simple to buy an aftermarket array that is brighter and new to replace the OEM unit. They make them in all shapes, sizes, and colors now, which will ease installation.

I'll snap some pics and post them assuming I am successful. . . .I ordered a few different styles and colors so I could see which worked best. . .I am also going to try a stealth foot-well light
Kind of like this?

I finally got around to taking some pics of the footwells. Thanks to Lunker325 for the guidance on tapping into the cars wiring. He gave me the idea, I just went a bit farther and ordered some BMW parts to make it look completely stock. I ordered 2 BMW trunk lighting assemblies exactly like the one in my trunk lid. I popped it out and got the part number that was printed on it. It is a 44mm bulb housing. I put in the 44mm LED bulbs we ordered from the GB. I then measured the hole it sits in and cut that size hole in the panels above the pedals on the drivers side and the footwell on the passenger side.

Above the panel on the passenger side is a connection box for wiring. I tapped into the brown wire for my ground and the red wire with a blue stripe which feeds the rest of the interior lights for my 12v+. VIOLA!! You have footwell lights.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your mod looks great - I was not thinking that intricate more like hiding one of these little ones to make it look like the blue (but white):

Attachments

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
It would take A LOT of lighting to get the amount shown in that last picture. I am using one of the brightest 3 LED arrays available in my footwells and it isn't NEAR that bright.

Those also look like he has them tied into his dash lights. Mine are tied into my interior lights that come on when the door is open.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It would take A LOT of lighting to get the amount shown in that last picture. I am using one of the brightest 3 LED arrays available in my footwells and it isn't NEAR that bright.

Those also look like he has them tied into his dash lights. Mine are tied into my interior lights that come on when the door is open.
I was thinking that a single led put out enough light based on this picture - from their specs the blue actually is the dimmest (from a lumens perspective) so the white should actually be brighter???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts