BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need to make up my mind on what I should do on my 06 M5, with 90k+ miles.

I have the option to replace the SMG pump alone, or the entire SMG assembly, which includes the pump, actuators, etc.

SMG Pump + labor = $1600
SMG Complete unit + labor = $4055

The SA is telling me that it's about 50/50, at times, they just replaced the pump, but soon after, the actuators would also need to be replaced; whereas there are times, where the pump simply fixed the issue. I am budget conscious, so I'd like only replace what's needed. As of right now, since it's been in the shop, they are NOT able to activate the SMG pump, so we know for sure the pump has failed. Being that the pump has failed, they have not been able to check on the actuators.

What do you guys thing?

Please chime in with your opinions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I this you need to compare the cost of doing the complete SMG unit + labor, to the cost of doing a pump + labor and then doing the actuators if necessary. Personally, I would probably replace only the pump.

BTW what issue were you having?

Later, Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've compared it. If I went ahead and just do the pump, but find out that I also need to replace the actuators, there would be an additional $850 worth of labor. I am being told that the labor to replace the entire SMG assembly is very close to the amount of time needed to just replace the pump.

Again, I am being told by the dealership that they are sure the pump has failed. They suggested for me to not only replace the pump, but also do the actuators at the same time. The issue at this point is that there's a $2500+ difference between just replacing the pump vs. replacing the whole unit.

I this you need to compare the cost of doing the complete SMG unit + labor, to the cost of doing a pump + labor and then doing the actuators if necessary. Personally, I would probably replace only the pump.

BTW what issue were you having?

Later, Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would simply say that the mechanic gets paid to work on your car, not to save you money.

Have you tested the pressure sensor? Could a bad sensor tell the TCU that you have too much pressure, not allowing the pump to turn on?

Were you able to drive the car after the failure light came on? If the transmission shifted, than the pump was still working.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressure sensor was tested, no issues.

I spoke to the SA and specifically asked about the pressure sensor.

After the failure, my vehicle was in N, but would not go into gear when tried.

I would simply say that the mechanic gets paid to work on your car, not to save you money.

Have you tested the pressure sensor? Could a bad sensor tell the TCU that you have too much pressure, not allowing the pump to turn on?

Were you able to drive the car after the failure light came on? If the transmission shifted, than the pump was still working.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
169 Posts
I suggest that you replace everything. My car was having issues and the dealer tried to just replace part but not all of the SMG hydro unit and two weeks later I was back there having the complete unit replaced (under warranty).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is there voltage getting to the SMG pump motor? If they know what they are going ( it's sounds to me like they do not) the software is capable of determining exactly what's wrong. To replace the pump the trasmission does not have to be removed, for the whole hydraulic unit it does that's a big difference. Whole hydraulic units are mostly replaced by dealers that don't know what they are doing. I would just replace what's broke now and don't worry what ( might) break down the road.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would ask jcolley to chime in but I am not sure there is enough info here for him to make a call.

Good luck and sorry for your issues.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I went ahead and changed the whole unit as a piece of mind as who knows what would go out next and to pay labor again was not worth it.

I also searched for a slightly used unit and got a great deal from Troy, 4k is in my opinion just robbery for the whole unit.

Reactions: jimsm6

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Troy, while pricing is extremely reasonable, I'd much prefer a warranty for both the part and installation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would ask jcolley to chime in but I am not sure there is enough info here for him to make a call.

Good luck and sorry for your issues.

Jim

Jcolley has already supplied plenty of help on my other thread. I've asked all the questions needed and now it's come down to whether to simply replace the pump or the entire unit.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Jcolley has already supplied plenty of help on my other thread. I've asked all the questions needed and now it's come down to whether to simply replace the pump or the entire unit.
Sorry missed the other thread... I use jcolley's name in vain quite a bit since he is so good and so helpful as is proven once again.

Your decision is whether to spend an extra $2,500 and know it is fixed now or maybe have to spend $3,350 later if I read this right. At risk is the extra $850 it will cost you in labor to go back in if you don't fix it now. I am normally a replace everything kind of person for the peace of mind factor but if I had a really tight budget I would probably do a little research on how many problems people have had with the actuators and try to get away with just the pump replacement for now.

Whichever way you go, good luck!

Jim

Reactions: GrowningUp

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry missed the other thread... I use jcolley's name in vain quite a bit since he is so good and so helpful as is proven once again.

Your decision is whether to spend an extra $2,500 and know it is fixed now or maybe have to spend $3,350 later if I read this right. At risk is the extra $850 it will cost you in labor to go back in if you don't fix it now. I am normally a replace everything kind of person for the peace of mind factor but if I had a really tight budget I would probably do a little research on how many problems people have had with the actuators and try to get away with just the pump replacement for now.

Whichever way you go, good luck!

Jim

Thanks for chiming in, I was leaning on replacing the entire unit. Reading a few replies here, I've made up my decision. It appears that the smg unit is one of very few selected items that my extended warranty doesn't cover. Replacing the entire unit will allow my a 2 year warranty, with unlimited miles. I'm happy with the piece of mind.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Good decision.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, I was leaning on replacing the entire unit. Reading a few replies here, I've made up my decision. It appears that the smg unit is one of very few selected items that my extended warranty doesn't cover. Replacing the entire unit will allow my a 2 year warranty, with unlimited miles. I'm happy with the piece of mind.
This makes it a no brainer - good choice!

Jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE -

Spoke to my SA and told him to go ahead and replace the entire SMG assembly.
- Called after removing my transmission and notified me that they suggest for me to replace the throwout bearing.
- He said the pressure plate and clutch both had plenty of life on it, nothing needed to be addressed.
- I inquired about replacing the slave cylinder, he said he would give me a call back.
- He called me back and told me that the slave cylinder is INCLUDED with the SMG assembly, thus included in the original quoted price of $4055.00 + shop supplies + taxes.
- Emailed me late Friday and told me that the car's running perfect.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
i've replaced a lot of smg components over the last year for stuck in gear/no start issues. seen one slave cyl blow out, clutch or two fell apart/to bearing failed, and smg pump/motor. i have yet to see the solenoid block on top of the tranny go bad. bear in mind the part that everyone calls the pump is not a pump, its just an electric motor. there is an actual mechanical pump which is driven by the motor which goes bad as well and is not available separately. you have to get the whole hydro unit to get the pump. the smg motor can be replaced without removing the tranny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts