BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone not in NA - what are you all replacing for Struts and shocks? Looking to lower ride height but not too drastic

Already have new Bilstein Sport's

what springs do you recommend

H&R springs?
OEM M5 Springs?
MTech springs?
Spax springs?

thanks

David

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey anyone not in NA - what are you all replacing for Struts and shocks? Looking to lower ride height but not too drastic

Already have new Bilstein Sport's

what springs do you recommend

H&R springs?
OEM M5 Springs?
MTech springs?
Spax springs?

thanks

David
Hi David, You already have the correct shocks for lowering the suspension properly. I take it that you want to lower by about a half inch or so from stock??

H&R only do sports springs for the e28 which lower the car just over 30mm which is about as far as you want to go otherwise you will have to adjust your camber.
OEM M5 springs have a much softer spring rate than MTech springs. MTech front springs are actually the same rate as Hartge springs at 263! MTech springs also come in two different lengths from BMW! The ones with red paint on the coil is the shorter one :M5thumbs:
The guys from the US tend to really like spax springs because they lower the front by about 45mm & the rear by about 40mm for the stanced look. Your going to run into uneven tire wear problems with wide tires though. If your running 225's it should not be to much of a problem though.
As you want to keep it almost stock looking I would go for MTech front & rear with with red paint. I would also buy from BMW 3mm & 9mm spring pads so you can adjust the stance the way you want it without resorting to cutting the springs! :nono:
As your running sports you can adjust the rear spring perch to suit.
You will then have a ride that is not too harsh but will be more than good enough in the turns. All BMW parts as well! :cool:

Picture of E28 M5 with what I have suggested & E28 spring rate data.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks this is exactly what I am looking for.

One question - I understand that using H&R Sport springs on Bilstein Sport Struts/shock that the strut/shock shaft blows through the compression too fast causing shock bottoming only on M5 E28s due to increased weight.

any validity to this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks this is exactly what I am looking for.

One question - I understand that using H&R Sport springs on Bilstein Sport Struts/shock that the strut/shock shaft blows through the compression too fast causing shock bottoming only on M5 E28s due to increased weight.

any validity to this?
Don't believe that for a second. The battery in the boot/truck of an e28 M5 isn't that heavy!

If your car has self leveling then the rear shock, spring mounts have to be changed for standard e28 ones.

H&R don't actually sell springs for the M5 but Tuner Motorsport sells a kit using Bilstein Sport Shocks with H&R Sport Springs for the e28 M5. They just state to change the spring mounts!
As your in that part of the world give them a call to see what they say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts