BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorta dumb with this stuff so forgive me with the newb question...

What the hell is this and what does it do? It is behind my right front wheel hub. Its also rusted broke at the clip. Can someone help me on this one?

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's your Xenon headlights leveling sensor. Having any problem with headlights out of alignment?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
As noted above its for the auto-leveling headlights. Can cause your lights to be incorrectly aimed if you may or may not have noticed.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy Crap! We have those! lol. Does it change around turns? God I feel like an idiot not knowing my car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Holy Crap! We have those! lol. Does it change around turns? God I feel like an idiot not knowing my car.
Nope, E39 doesn't have 'Adaptive' (or swivel) headlights.

·
Registered
647 Posts
So... what's the purpose of these?
HowStuffWorks "Self-leveling Systems and Future Headlight Technology"

Self-leveling headlights have an additional level sensor that determines if the car is tilted forward or back. For example, if a car is driving over a large bump, when the front of the car hits the bump, it lifts up. Standard headlights would briefly point up into the sky until the rear of the car moved over the bump and the car returned to a level position. You may have noticed this if a car driving behind you at night passed over a bump, such as a railroad crossing. The other car's headlights would flash briefly, as if the driver had blinked his or her high beams at you. This is actually the car's headlights temporarily pointing up and into your eyes instead of down at the road. With a self-leveling system, electric servomotors react to the level sensor and keep the headlights aimed down at the road, no matter the position of the car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sorry but that is so damn dumb.

Is it really worth the extra parts and having to replace this part because it is brittle, just to not have headlights VERY QUICKLY flash at someone.

Please.

So Dumb.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Failure of the self-levelling mechanism for HID's could well be an MOT failure in the UK, if I'm not mistaken. MOT testers, please correct if this is no longer the case...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I understand. Im sure the Department of Transportation for all states here would be the same way with the rules as well. I can see the purpose of these now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well get some idiot with people in back, load of crap in boot, blinding everyone.
This stops it.
As said think it's a must have for hid's.
Also is nice to watch them adjust as you drive along.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Any way you can test the leveling out by say, removing the link and moving the arm/lever up and down? I have DDM DJ Auto headlamps installed, and I'm not positive the auto leveling works (only because I was unable to test them).

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Im sorry but that is so damn dumb.

Is it really worth the extra parts and having to replace this part because it is brittle, just to not have headlights VERY QUICKLY flash at someone.

Please.

So Dumb.
LMAO!! WTF!? Travis, what is that picture from!? In Living Color? :hihi:

If it makes you feel better, your post just helped me figure out where the leveling arms are located - thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
LMAO!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts