BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve had both smg tunes as most of you, it seems the USA spec 1800rpm is too little and I find the 4000+ Euro tune just roasts the tires. Competing against a modified e60 M5 euro smg tune at the drag races he used launch control every time and I pedaled the throttle on red9 on my sprint booster and beat him every time. Ideally a 3000rmp launch would work best perhaps...if only

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Euro LC has variable Launch RPM using the cruise stalk IIRC (i haven't launched an M5 in 3 years...or driven my own for that matter). What are the available settings?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have euro spec car and launch control is one way so a tune with euro lc is one answer. It gets a lot of wheel spin but still gets a good launch.

The other way is as follows:

Put it in m mode set to:
Dsc off (or try m dynamic if you like)
P500sport
S6

On the line when it's go time give the accelerator a quick stab, then really punch it to the floor as hard/fast as you can.

The first stab will bring the revs up a little and the second mash will really get it launching. Get ready to modulate the throttle in first (if you don't you'll just end up in an epic burnout till you hit the rev limiter), so modulate the throttle a little to tame the wheel spin, grab second when the wheelspin settles down and revs get up over 7,000. After second it's just hang on and shift between 7500-8000.

It works nicely for me. 🙂
Thanks for the tips ! ...sounds like I need to practice quite a bit more, but does sound like it may be doable at least. I may need to go to a private road and try it over and over till I get this nailed down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah a little practice will help. I probably wouldn't do heaps in a row as it definitely puts heat through the clutch if you do a bunch of hard launches.

Jciolley: yes from memory each press on the cruise control 'minus' button takes lc down 250 or 500 rpm. Can't remember which. Only works with euro lc though I think.

I can see how a sprint booster would help with launching the car. With the stock throttle mapping you really have to stab/kick/punch the accelerator. A normal 'just push it fairly quickly to the floor' like most other cars won't get you a hard launch at all as the car starts moving with small throttle opening and by the time they crack wide open the car is rolling and bogged down at low rpm. The spring booster might save you from having to feel like you're trying to kick the pedal through the firewall....

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
Emfiver
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing