BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im trying to decide wether i should keep my current wheels or go back to stock. The current ones are 18x8.5/9.5 RD2's and i like the way they look even though i wish they were alittle more shiny. The problem im having is these require hubcentric rings and the only ones offered are plastic. After plugging a tire recently, the shop crunched one of the rings and now i have a shimmy. I have new rings and that will cure the shimmy but now im thinking maybe ill just go back to stock. I plan on having the stock rims powdercoated brilliant silver. What do u guys think?? Heres some pics of the car as it is now.

Sorry for the fuzzy images. Had someone else take the pics and they didnt have a very steady hand

·
Registered
83 Posts
baf3472 said:
Im trying to decide wether i should keep my current wheels or go back to stock. The current ones are 18x8.5/9.5 RD2's and i like the way they look even though i wish they were alittle more shiny. The problem im having is these require hubcentric rings and the only ones offered are plastic. After plugging a tire recently, the shop crunched one of the rings and now i have a shimmy. I have new rings and that will cure the shimmy but now im thinking maybe ill just go back to stock. I plan on having the stock rims powdercoated brilliant silver. What do u guys think?? Heres some pics of the car as it is now.

Sorry for the fuzzy images. Had someone else take the pics and they didnt have a very steady hand

·
Registered
83 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
I'd go back to th originals they just look so right :cheers:
I agree. Go back to stock. Look at the thread with the same color car and stock wheels powder coated dark grey. Very nice look. The car was a wagon, but can't remember what member. Best John

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a few more clearer pics. Ild liketo make a decision before next week. Come on guys help me out lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
I personally like the RD2s, very nice lip and lots of space between spokes. They are different than stock and would guess lighter. I also bet they are easier to clean!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theyre alot easier to clean but they are heavier than stock. I think each wheel weighs around 35 pounds. I dont track the car so im not sure if the extra weight makes a difference to me. Cosmetics are the main reason im considering the switch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go back to stock. I've had my M5 4 and a half years and I've yet to see a rim I'd like better on it.

Not to say those wheels aren't nice, they're just not as good in my opinion.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Personally, I´m a big friend of the original rims. Except when it´s time to clean...

Your current rims are very nice, but I would say the car would look even better with stock rims.

BTW I like the cool night-shot from a low point of view. The blur gives a documentary feel, and suggests speed.

David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello,I wouldn't go back to stock,I would choose a more expensive looking ,more classy wheel than the ones you have fitted.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts