BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Ive been a long time lurker. I've been looking for an M5 "6Speed" For a while now and came across one and just wanted to know is there anything i should look for prior to purchase? Any certain service records etc?

Shes a 2007 Blk/Blk 6-Speed With Just Over 60k On it. There asking $34,995 You guys think there's any wiggle room in the price?

Thanks in advance Donald,

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just to chime in, even though I don't have a 6 speed. There have been a lot of threads on what to look for, common repairs, etc. Dig through the site and you'll come across pretty much everything that can happen. 2007 is not an LCI car. I decided to spend more for a 2008 for the peace of mind it brought me. Not that there is anything wrong with the non-LCI cars; it was for my own peace of mind. My 2008 has been bullet proof. ((OMG, did I just curse myself? ouich)

As for the price, dig around on Autotrader.com and get a feel for miles and price. There are differences in price based on location of the country. $35k feels a little low, but over 50k the price seems to drop a bit. Yet, I'm sure you can find them for that price range. I would spend time comparing cars on the site, options, miles, etc. I know that's obvious.. there can be such a huge range of price for good reasons. It is hard to know unless you really get detailed and compare.

Hope you get one soon and send pics!

·
Registered
302 Posts
The usual maintenance records, clutch replacements. Vanos issues etc.
Check over the car for paintwork/frame/core damage. Have a professional do this if you are unsure.

Id' pay 30 to 32k for that car depending on options.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My advice is, buy the newest model year you can afford. They just kept getting better is the general consensus I've got from the great community here.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Congrats in advance on your 6MT!

I would strongly suggest a short shifter with your 6MT. A short shifter was my first mod and there are several good ones out on the market.

If you are so inclined, a 3.91 diff is also another mod to help line up the gear ratios to the rpms. Specific to the 6MT, a couple of members have gone to a 4.10 as a poorman's supercharger. My 6MT mods are in my signature.

As others have pointed out, look for full records. Personally, I'd value full records over mileage. If you can find one from a board member, even better -- we tend to be an anal group of enthusiast! I've had zero issues with mine, and have stayed well ahead of preventative maintanace across the board. Right now, I'm having my rod bearings replaced at 84,000 miles

Good luck in your search.

·
Banned
561 Posts
Hey Guys. Ive been a long time lurker. I've been looking for an M5 "6Speed" For a while now and came across one and just wanted to know is there anything i should look for prior to purchase? Any certain service records etc?

Shes a 2007 Blk/Blk 6-Speed With Just Over 60k On it. There asking $34,995 You guys think there's any wiggle room in the price?

My advice is to buy one with less than 50 k miles on it....you will get a better deal on extended warranty. .just my opinion

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Putting "6 speed" in quotes reminds me of the Chive which has a feature called interestingly placed quotes..."Fresh" sea food. Anyways, supply and demand rules the roost. It's going to be very difficult to find 6 speed M5 in the first place so even if there isn't a lot of room, and you love the car, don't let a thousand bucks or so get in the way.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm more of the thinking that a lower mileage example is the way to go. 60k miles is where the demons can start to show themselves, unless you have all service records that show that the common breakables have already been replaced.

I picked up my '06 fully loaded with every option with just 33k miles last month for $33k (at a BMW dealer). There is literally no difference between '06 & '07, so don't be afraid to look at an '06 with less miles. Plus, I was able to secure an exclusionary warranty through my credit union for just $1900 for 5 yr/60k miles and $250 deductible. Higher mileage cars will really run that cost higher...MUCH higher! If you're going to keep this car for any length of time, a warranty is pretty much mandatory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 6MT's weren't available on a 2006.

As Dexter states, don't let a thousand bucks or so get in the way. If you want it, get it.
I paid more for my '08 6MT from a dealer than I had wanted to, but the maintenance records and PPI were acceptable.
So I pulled the trigger.,

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
2007 was the first year for the 6MT.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Banned
561 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 6MT's weren't available on a 2006.

As Dexter states, don't let a thousand bucks or so get in the way. If you want it, get it.
I paid more for my '08 6MT from a dealer than I had wanted to, but the maintenance records and PPI were acceptable.
So I pulled the trigger.,
You are right my friend...only smg on 06

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm more of the thinking that a lower mileage example is the way to go. 60k miles is where the demons can start to show themselves, unless you have all service records that show that the common breakables have already been replaced.

I picked up my '06 fully loaded with every option with just 33k miles last month for $33k (at a BMW dealer). There is literally no difference between '06 & '07, so don't be afraid to look at an '06 with less miles. Plus, I was able to secure an exclusionary warranty through my credit union for just $1900 for 5 yr/60k miles and $250 deductible. Higher mileage cars will really run that cost higher...MUCH higher! If you're going to keep this car for any length of time, a warranty is pretty much mandatory.

Same here. I was shopping around for an E60 M5 and had a good number to choose from. In the end, I just went with the one with the lowest mile (28k miles), even thought it was a 2006. I made sure all the recalls were done and still purchased the extended 2 year warranty just in case. I've modded it and put 2.5k really hard miles on it so far. Redlined it MANY times and it has been a blast. ZERO problems, bulletproof without a hiccup and the engine/tranny pulls VERY hard without a sign of any problems. I personally believe good maintenance and low miles is much better than getting a newer model with higher miles. LCI is nice but I already swapped out the taillights to Euro OEM LCI's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts