BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with a Nav-TV unit I purchased second hand on eBay to use for a reverse camera.

I have it installed and the video is coming through great, but I have to choose "Television" in the Menu in order to see the reverse camera. You should be able to connect this Nav-TV unit so that placing the car in reverse gear automatically plays the reverse camera on the head unit, but mine does not. I currently have the brown-with-yellow-stripe wire connected to the red wire on the reverse camera video cable. The red wire on the other end of the video cable is connected to the reverse light wire.

Is there anyone out there with enough experience with this that can point me in the right direction?

Trunk Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable Gas

Pliers Automotive tire Tool Electrical wiring Thumb

·
Registered
273 Posts
The camera has to plug into the co-ax that goes to Pins 13 & 14.

Also, your screen should switch as soon as you select reverse.
BMW released a bulletin to fit a relay to switch the VM when reverse is selected.
This is how I wired mine up (using the common light green BMW relay)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The camera has to plug into the co-ax that goes to Pins 13 & 14.

Also, your screen should switch as soon as you select reverse.
BMW released a bulletin to fit a relay to switch the VM when reverse is selected.
This is how I wired mine up (using the common light green BMW relay)

Thanks for the reply, Rosie. You mention pins 13 and 14 in your comments as related to the coax, so I'm a little confused what your referring to. And your picture shows a pin 17. Do you know what color these wires are?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Rosie. You mention pins 13 and 14 in your comments as related to the coax, so I'm a little confused what your referring to. And your picture shows a pin 17. Do you know what color these wires are?
Your yellow reverse camera coax plug in this picture:-

Has to go to Pins 13 & 14 in the white connector of the video module.
I can’t tell you the wiring colours because it’s part of your replacement loom - you have to take the plug apart and trace the wires - the plugs do have pin numbers on the ends in very small writing.

Pin 17 in the blue plug of the video module is the reverse switch on.

But again, you need to manually trace the wiring because it’s not originally fitted to your car and is part of the camera retrofit.

Here are the original factory instructions which does have the correct wiring diagram at the end:-

View attachment e39 Backup camera retrofit instructions 2.pdf

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got this working. The pictures and brief explanations helped a lot. Thank you to those of you that helped out. I couldn't have done it without your support.

I had a relay laying around hooked it up and it didn't work, so I gave up for a few days. Today I got the itch and went out and figured out that the reverse light wasn't sending 12v to the relay due to a bad connection. Problem fixed! I'm now a happy owner of an e39 M5 with modern day technology (with the exception of my Bluebus which is on the way in September).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts