BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again guys.

First... did a search. Really wasn't able to find anything.... so here it is.... hmmm

06, 104,000kms, SMG, minor mods - afe intake, wheels and tires.
I replaced the clutch/flywheel and other tid bits last year (bimmerzone clutch package). Had the 100,000km service done at BMW in Oct. and just had a few of the ignition coils replaced after a CEL came on. Car had been running great... still is, just now with a noise.

The noise is a bit hard to explain but it sounds something like a supercharger belt noise. A high pitch mechanical/belt like noise... it vary's in pitch with engine speed... more rev's, higher pitch... less rev's, lower pitch.

I hear it the most when the car is on the cool side and I am in gear and coasting. As soon as i get on the gas the sound disappears. It seems like it happens most when in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... although the wind noise could just be hiding it when i'm in 4th or higher.
The car drives fine.. no loss in power, no CEL's, nothing... just a belt like, supercharger like, noise while in gear and coasting. No noise when in neutral and coasting, no noise when on the gas accelerating. When the car is fully up to temperature the noise isn't as loud, and sometimes not there at all.

Its a bit tough to tell where the noise is coming from because it can't be reproduced in the garage with the hood up and me crawling around.

I'm at a loss... i don't know if maybe the clutch needs a re-adaptation or it has something to do with the diff ???? noise wasn't there one day... was the next and the only thing I did in-between was wash the car, and go for a bit of a spirited drive...which may have included some "DSC Off" time ;-)

I hope one of you out there has had this and can gimme some leads... the only things i found in a search had to do with a noise from a power steering system (which i checked and topped up the fluid) and the possibility it might have something to do with the A/C, which i tried to trouble shoot (driving with it on and off, high/ low fan) with no success.

So... What do you think ?????

Thanks in advance.

M5heli

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Most likely a pulley or a tensioner. I have a noisy A/C tensioner that squeels when the car is cold. I need to take it in to my shop as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... i'll look into it... anyone else have any ideas?

The last thing I wanna do is head into the shop and let them try and figure it out ;-)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, I'd say like a 90% chance it's an idler wheel or a tensioner wheel bearing. I'd have it looked at asap though these bearings tend to fly apart and the wheel actually gets cocked to one side and jams.

Any shop will be able to quickly diagnose the exact issue, mechanic's stethoscope to the mount will yield a nice howl for the dead bearing while idling.

There is a possibility that this is your alternator too, it spins at a similar speed to the idlers and can howl as well, but unlikely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

If that does turn out to be the problem would it be smart to install or replace anything else while I'm in there ? RPI under drive pulley ???? stuff like that.

What kind of shop time/cost should I be looking at??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, while you're in there it might be a good idea to replace your belts, also, i'd replace all of the idler/tensioner pulleys not just the bad one, they all tend to fail around the same time.

As for shop costs or upgrades, i don't know, I do all my own work and I haven't taken any of my cars to a shop in like 12 years. Except for NJ state inspections. And I don't have any upgrades on my cars.

I'm sure someone else will help though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noise still there

OK... All belts and pulley's replaced. STILL HAVE THE NOISE.

Could this be something with the transmission or clutch. Any help guys would be appreciated. I'm think I'm going to have to take it into the shop... but I'd love to be able to have some info for them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
if the noise persists and it's coming from the front then by process of elimination it's one of the other bearings, power steering pump, alternator or ac compressor. Any decent shop can put a stethoscope to the part and listen for the roaring noise that a failed bearing would put out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine does the same, dealer never said it was an issue. I do not worry about it. I know it is not transmission related. Happens when I rev the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a video of the sound... what is it?

My wife thinks it kinda sound like the tires are rubbing.. but they're not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was the throw out bearing replaced as a part of the clutch package? It does sound drive live related to me... What fluid was the trans filled with? ... And check the diff fluid... sounds like a stressed or loaded up bearing...

·
Registered
550 Posts
That noise is horribly odd. To me it sounds like a pump not churning correctly!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine sounds nothing like that. Yours does sound gear related or something rubbing. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car goes in on Wednesday... I'll keep ya posted

And yeah, i did replace the throwout bearing...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a whining noise too but it sounds like a low supercharger and definitely RPM related. I'll be getting it checked soon. Car drives normal though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts