BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ive been reading this forum for yearsand enjoy peoples opinions who love bimmers as i do.
Right now i would like to get your opinions on a deal that is close to happening for a car.
i currently own a 97 540i 6 speed 170xxx miles.i had a 2000 m5 that i got into a fender bender with
and they cut me a satisfactory insurance check and i traded the m strait up for the 540i i have now.comparing those cars i felt as the 540 was more my driving style not so much torque better on gas but has some get up.the 540 has about 5000 in upgrades hnr suspension, m parrels,hella lights all the way around,m5 clutch,etc... its quite sharp.well a guy has a e34 m5 widebody im sure most of u have seen and hes willin to trade my car and 4gs of my money for it,i would like ur opinions if u feel this a good deal.my 540 is trouble free maintance free not a headache and some stories i read on here about the e34 worry me but i read great things 2.the e34 has 76xxx and about 23000 dollars in upgrades.thanks for ur opinions ps the 540 now has tint which makes it look sharp and has been lowered and inch lower. tn.jpg 540.jpg

CIMG0125.jpg

47b5da08b3127cce9134f3e41e8800000016108VZtWjRrY.jpg

tn.jpg4.jpg

540i.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
need more pics of the M5, but it seems like there must be a reason why he wants to trade...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he bought it 3years ago for 18000 i believe and reason is needs money just like most people nowadays.but u never know some people just use that as an excuse also.here some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
id get the car checked out. if the motor is legit, id trade him. it looks pretty badass IMO

·
Registered
453 Posts
IMHO I would never touch such a heavily modified car. The 540i Man is a very nice car and not much slower than a 3.6 so in your case, i would stick to the devil i know.
But then, i am more of a purist, so i guess my opinion doesnt count.

·
Registered
252 Posts
personally, i really do not like the wide body. I think it goes against the sleek and classy lines of the E34, so i would focus my time and money on a regular body style, because pretty much thats what that extra 4 grand would be paying for. Also, looking at it from an investment perspective (re-selling at some point if you want) you would be better off with a regular body style, eventually that wide body is not going to fetch much cash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the whole thing was he needs cash but would trade for a car if it was worth like 4000 an old 3 series or something
well i figure my cars worth 7 to 8g with the mods,so me giving him 4gs cash and my car is like paying 11500 for the m5.
the car books for 10800 with no mods well it has 23000 in mods which i understand u dont get all back
but im pretty much getn them for free.the bottom line is i dont wana be stressed out with this car because its happened before
with a 02 e65 745 i had which was a nightmare.i have a feeling once i see car in person and jump in i will love it.and of course he wouldnt trade straight up especially if he needs cash the car only has 76000 miles its a cali car and always garaged.

·
Registered
584 Posts
the bottom line is i dont wana be stressed out with this car because its happened before
with a 02 e65 745 i had which was a nightmare.
No E34 in even vaguely decent shape will be as problematic as an '02 745. The first year of production on such a highly electronic car like a 7 series is always going to have issues that they've not figured out yet. And the E65 was so different than the E38 it replaced that they had many issues w/the '02's.

With that said the E34 M5 won't have the torque that your E39 540 does. The S38B36 only does anything once you've hit 4,500+ RPM. But once you get it above that RPM you'd bet hold on good. Personally I like torque, which is why I bought my M-Sport instead of an M5. And my M-Sport pulls on my buddies '93 M5 from a stop. But once you've hit 70 or so the M5 has caught up and @ 100+ the M5 pulls on the M-Sport.

That straight 6 isn't very smooth, it's got a very raw feel to it. Much different than the V8 in your 540. And yeah, that S38 will require more care than your M62 does.

Personally I think you need to get a ride in it to see for yourself what it's like then decide what you want to do.

Oh, and if you do end up with that M5 please take that badge out of the grill. The wide grill M5's didn't have grill badges. Only the narrow grill M5's did. The badge in the grill of a wide grill E34 just looks wrong and very rice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would do it. M cars generally hold their value better. The kit may kill it for some, but 70,xxx miles on it is 100k less then the 540i has. If it checks out and has no issues.... Do it! Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't care for the E34 shown. Too blingy for me. Your car plus 4K doesn't sound like a bargain either.

You should decide if it's really something that you really want. Don't buy it just because you think it's good deal.

True it's got lower miles than your E39, but it's also a lot older.

·
Registered
1995 BMW M5 Touring Individual Orinoco over Petrol Mint
617 Posts
Get the m5 checked out and go from there. The farther it is from the stock form the harder the resale will be.
Something to watch out for is that when a car goes through a few owners in a shorter period of time, maintenance tends to fall behind.
Owners won't care for a care as much if they know they won't own it for that long.
An M5 is high maintenance in stock form, modifications will add up on top of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts