BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i got my gearboxbox "rebuild" (the problem was 3rd clash), the job consisted in replacing the 2th, 3rd and 4th syncro rings, all bearings, joints and some minor parts. It was made by a experient mecanic. All gears shift very well, but at some moment the 4th gear, jumped... (with out scratching) and so on, since then at aprox 90/10km/h it always jumps (only the 4th)... my mecanic was very surprised... and said that it only could be two things, 1º the compresion springs that he didnt change (he already made the order) and the 2º could be the GEARSHIFT ROD JOINT that he changed, but the new one from BMW was slight diferent from the original one... bmw said it has been improveed (???)

2 days later, all cheked... Gearshift rod joint as the same measurments, the compression springs changed, "bearing, shift lever" changed and...
:crying:
4th gear jumps no more, but instead it does not engage at medium revs, on the other hand, at high revs it does it very well, for ex: in acelaration shift from 3rd to 4th driving at 120km/h or more... no problem, at speeds lower then 120km/h (in 3th) engage 4th is impossible... it doesnt stratch it slimply doesnt complete the movement, when you try to shift it, the knob starts to shake, at speeds below 30km/h shifting is possible again...
Shifting from 5th to 4th same thing... at speeds like 175/180km/h no problem change from 5th to 4th, but (ex.) at speeds of 100km/h its impossible to reduce gear (5»4)

My mecanic wont open the gerbox again until he gets the bmw repair Manual and said to drive the car like this to see if there is any improvement.

Any opinions?

GUIDE SLEEVE 3RD AND 4TH GEAR?

DRIVE SHAFT

(cant find "4th gear shift gear" on bmw parts database, it seams it is on the drive shaft, is it?)

Does any one has the BMW repair manual for the gearbox (getrag 280)?
Bmw Portugal doesnt have it...

You can imagine how i am feeling...:sad1: i just speent +/- 1500 dollars whit this result... and i had to count all cents!!!

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
609 Posts
That really sucks big time Miguel. I know how frustrating it can be to not have her running perfectly. The only info I can forward to you is a guy that has a good reputation on rebuilding these transmitions in the USA. His contact info is below.

Jim Blanton
Blanton Transmissions, Inc.

[email protected]

1427 West 9th Street
Kansas City, MO 64101
816-221-8584

Info is from BMWE34M5.COM Since you live in Portugal maybe he will just help you out as he really won't be losing any business.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I wonder if this is a characteristic of the gearbox running with some new components, and some old components, a bit like replacing the chain on your bicycle, and not replacing the sprockets, the parts don't quite fit together.

Perhaps it will 'wear' in? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nuno Miguel said:
today i discoverd that my mecanic put almoust 2 lts of oil on gbox... shouldnt it be 1.25lts?
According to the specs in TIS, it should be 1.25L - but filling to the top of the filler hole (which is what you're supposed to do) takes 1.9L on my car. That's what I've used, filled it like that twice, and no problems.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I recently had Amsoil ATF put in my gearbox at the Inspection 11. It took nearly exactly 1.25ltrs, I have the other .75 in the garage. The mechanic said it was just starting to dribble out the filler hole. This is with the 5 speed box.

AndyE said:
According to the specs in TIS, it should be 1.25L - but filling to the top of the filler hole (which is what you're supposed to do) takes 1.9L on my car. That's what I've used, filled it like that twice, and no problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummmm... tried shifting 3th today in various situacions and looks ok after all...

I think i better save money for a new gearbox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts