BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to grab a bite to eat and hit a fox. The front bumper amber colored side reflector popped out--Couldn't find it on the roadway... Where do you guys buy OEM parts? Any place better than any other? Or anyone have one for sale? It's the passenger side

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
On the way to grab a bite to eat and hit a fox. The front bumper amber colored side reflector popped out--Couldn't find it on the roadway... Where do you guys buy OEM parts? Any place better than any other? Or anyone have one for sale? It's the passenger side
What the Fox did was sit at the side of the road shaking its head at the glaring yellow reflector and it's ugly looks on such a clean and sleak Silverstone II M5.

OEM is always the best, because it is the best quality. IND purchases the same OEM reflectors and paint matches them to your car. Here is the link you are looking for to purchase them: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...matched-oem-front-reflectors.html#post1912611

Ironically.. the photo showing an example is my car. IND is a great shop, but neither me or IND sent the fox after you.

Hope nothing else was damaged :cheers:

·
Registered
932 Posts
They have just little tabs on the backside? Snap into place I guess?
they have 2 tabs and a spring. If i remember correctly u push down and pull out. Or vise versa, my only comment is my were so tight i didn't want to bend the bumper in.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
they have 2 tabs and a spring. If i remember correctly u push down and pull out. Or vise versa, my only comment is my were so tight i didn't want to bend the bumper in.
They are both OEM, but the new ones will be harder to get in because they are not worn like the current ones you have in.

To remove you need to push them UP (to press down on the clips) and pull out.
To install, you need to put the top in first, line it up and push IN while somewhat pushing UP.

It's not too hard, but the part is so small it makes it somewhat difficult. If you need to (which I never thought of until Vodyk said it) take out the headlights so you can support the back of the bumper. I have uninstalled and reinstalled these 2-3 times without removing the headlight, but that would have been helpful my first time around.

Something to note: The paint is extremely thin around the edges, and it will most likely tear/peel off but the reflector should cover it. If you are too rough you may tear it past the edge and when reinstalled it could be visible, so patience is needed for this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys----After further review of said area today in daylight, I realized some of the paint has spidered and the lower bumper underneath is cracked. Didn't think that little cat sized fox would cause all that. Also the top of the inner brake ducting is broke, pieces missing and inside the bumper area there is a few broken pieces of plastic. So I will be taking it by the shop tomorrow to see about repairing that area.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys----After further review of said area today in daylight, I realized some of the paint has spidered and the lower bumper underneath is cracked. Didn't think that little cat sized fox would cause all that. Also the top of the inner brake ducting is broke, pieces missing and inside the bumper area there is a few broken pieces of plastic. So I will be taking it by the shop tomorrow to see about repairing that area.
damn.. sounds like a respray for the bumper, ordering the plastic intake cover, and plastic brake duct cover. hopefully you had a lot of rock chips on the front bumper and needed a respray anyway (here in south fl on i-95 its usually bumper every year and front windshield every 8-12 months) :grrrrr:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn.. sounds like a respray for the bumper, ordering the plastic intake cover, and plastic brake duct cover. hopefully you had a lot of rock chips on the front bumper and needed a respray anyway (here in south fl on i-95 its usually bumper every year and front windshield every 8-12 months) :grrrrr:
Was hardly no chips on the bumper----Not even sure what plastic part it is that was broke under the car... Hopefully the body shop can figure it out. I will probably get the parts myself and give them to the bodyshop, better than them jacking up the parts cost when I know I can get them cheaper....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just a tip for anyone in the future who wants to replace these reflectors...I found that if you order a brand new set, the springs are new and extremely tight. I ordered a set for my M5 from JleviSW and I was having a hard time getting them to fit perfectly and my bumper started bending inwards. I then just used some pliers and tried applying pressure on the spring in order to try to "soften" it, to match what the tension of the OEM springs. After doing this, the reflectors popped in easily.

Apologies for the low qual picture...took it with my iPhone.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts