BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I drilled out the 5-point torx screws that were on my maf housings and backed the headless-screws out with vice grips. All fine and good. Went to ACE to pick up new screws, and to my surprise, they didn't have anything that matched the origional ones!

For the first time, ACE's huge selection of screws has let me down!

So, now what do I do? Am I screwed? (sorry, couldn't resist!) I can't drive my car because of .90 cents worth of hardware lol.

What have you guys replaced the 5 or 6 point torx screws with? I don't wanna mangle the plastic threads in the housing with the wrong size/pitch screws.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You should have just cut a slot across the top of the head and used a regular screwdriver but it's too late for that. If you can't get someone to send their old ones, I would be inclined to use an appropriate size thread cutting sheet metal screw. There are a lot of ways to fix it if the threads get buggered including threaded inserts.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I'm going to try the sheet metal screw option. The ones ACE had were CLOSE in pitch, but not perfect. I don't think it'll matter a hell of a lot since it's such a course thread screw and since there isn't much force required to keep the MAF's in place anyways.

If anyone has any better ideas, please share :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Assuming that you mean the torx security screws that hold the MAF sensor into the housing, I have an extra full set - both sides. How many do you need - 2 or all 4? Send me your address and I'll drop them in the mail to you.

And I may have an extra torx security bit that fits too if you need it but will have to check.

Reactions: Jetpilot718

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming that you mean the torx security screws that hold the MAF sensor into the housing, I have an extra full set - both sides. How many do you need - 2 or all 4? Send me your address and I'll drop them in the mail to you.

And I may have an extra torx security bit that fits too if you need it but will have to check.
Many thanks! That is a very kind offer, but luckily I was able to solve my problem today.

Some info, since this has actually been discussed before but not exactly resolved:

My car had something strange I noticed when looking at the screws I drilled out. One pair was COARSE and the other FINE! Both MAF housings were the exact same PN and everything. How weird!

So, I'm not sure which ones your MAFs may have, but it's either one or the other. They're cheap. Buy both, and try threading them carefully by hand. One will fit and the other will offer much resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts