BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone easily and quickly summarize which control/thrust arm bushings are the best or best relative value?
My head is spinning from all of the previous posts about bushings being installed frontwards, backwards, etc and I cannot seem to determine what to do.

If I understand from searching, the options include the E39 OEM, Vines, X5 OEM and I believe Beastpower has one as well.

I have an '00 with 60k, Bistein PSS9s and last time in, my indie and myself noticed the bushings looked cracked and figured this would be a good time to replace these as well as any others that looked bad.

Thanks for any help.
TripleD

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
There are several choices, so you need to pick one. The existing threads offer the insight needed to make an educated decision. For instance, if your car is low miles then your original ball joints are probably still good which means changing only the bushings may be feasible. If your car is higher miles then vines is a good option because they give you fresh arms and joints. If you intend to use a pickle fork instead of the special $200 BMW tool to remove your arms, then your ball joint boots will become destroyed, requiring new arms.

There's so many things to consider and I can't regurgitate upon command. The answer is no...a definitive, one size fits all answer is neither quick nor easy; it's impossible. A copy paste effort seems so unnecessary....sorry.

Hint: You might choose X5 with low miles or Vines with high miles, but there's many compelling and valid reasons to stray from this recommendation depending upon who's doing the work, skill of mechanic, tool availability, intended duty etc.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lscman, I was hoping you'd chime in as you seem to be our resident suspension expert from reading your posts for the past few years.

The car has 60k and I'd bet I will have it another 25k or so which could be 2-3 years of driving. I now have a dedicated race car, so I'm not tracking the M5 any longer. Although I don't track the M5, I still engaged in achieving the best around town performance.

Thanks again for your input and I guess I'll keep reading previous posts trying to determine the best fit for me.
TripleD

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The X5 bushing option may be your best option, assuming you get your car serviced at a dealership. They have the tools necessary to install the bushings into your existing thrust arms that will easily last another 75K mi. If they want you to replace the thrust arms too, then they're just lazy jerks and wanting to throw parts at the car to make more profit. In that case, you should find an indy and hand him a pair of Vines arms.

A back yard mechanic or indy may have better luck with the Vines option because it does not require much skill nor special tools such as hydraulic press, custom pressing mandrels or E39 Ball joint tool. The Vines option allows quick & destructive removal of the old ball joint with a $20 universal pickle fork and the bushings are already pressed into the new arm which simplifies labor by 1-2 hrs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Lscman, this was very beneficial and most likely the route I will go.
TripleD

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went with Powerflex from beast power. So far so good.

Vic

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with Powerflex from beast power. So far so good.

Vic
+1 did the swap myself although it was difficult since I did not have the proper tool, but I did it. I had a huge C-clamp press tool and used various metal plates and exhaust tubes. It was not easy...

If you had the proper tool it would be a very simple task.

I am very happy with them so far. In addition to the two bushing I mentioned, I also replaced the front and rear sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Was it Powerflex that RRoberts had disintegrate at a track event some time back? Can't recall whatever happened now, but I think he was working with the company to remedy the problem in the design.

I went with the Dinan monoballs, and I'm extremely pleased with them. With my other suspension mods, the monoballs complimented them perfectly, and the car turns in like mad. There is a very noticeable difference, especially under very hard braking, trail-braking, etc, through the whole process of a corner -- much improved feedback. I'm sure the stock ones were deflecting a lot under the load of 9.5"/275 R-comps up front. My car has 48k miles, and one of the stock ones was well on its way out.

There is only a slight harshness over Botts markers, and it is more of a structure-borne sharp noise as opposed to something you feel -- many probably wouldn't even notice it. It's no big deal to me, but to someone looking for OEM absorption, the monoballs aren't something you want anyway. Dinan has done a great job in the design though as the cross-sectional area of the joint is HUGE -- hence it is under a very low stress loading and is Teflon lined. It is an outstandingly well engineered part imo. I also have the Dinan springs, Konis, and Ground Control camber plates up front. The GC plates added a bit of sound harshness also.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Was it Powerflex that RRoberts had disintegrate at a track event some time back? Can't recall whatever happened now, but I think he was working with the company to remedy the problem in the design.

I went with the Dinan monoballs, and I'm extremely pleased with them. With my other suspension mods, the monoballs complimented them perfectly, and the car turns in like mad. There is a very noticeable difference, especially under very hard braking, trail-braking, etc, through the whole process of a corner -- much improved feedback. I'm sure the stock ones were deflecting a lot under the load of 9.5"/275 R-comps up front. My car has 48k miles, and one of the stock ones was well on its way out.

There is only a slight harshness over Botts markers, and it is more of a structure-borne sharp noise as opposed to something you feel -- many probably wouldn't even notice it. It's no big deal to me, but to someone looking for OEM absorption, the monoballs aren't something you want anyway. Dinan has done a great job in the design though as the cross-sectional area of the joint is HUGE -- hence it is under a very low stress loading and is Teflon lined. It is an outstandingly well engineered part imo. I also have the Dinan springs, Konis, and Ground Control camber plates up front. The GC plates added a bit of sound harshness also.

Chuck
Poly bushings wear out on swaybars and they have even more lifecycle problems when used for control arms. The joint sees much extreme loading. The rroberts issues are what I wasd point to, but I have zero confidence in poly for the E39 thrust arm application. Under ideal consitions, you might get 35K mi out of polys in such an application. I have seen them used on countless cars with poor lifecycle results. They will soon wear and make clattering noise, not to mention excessive NVH out-of-the-box. I think such mods belong on a teen Honda, not an E39.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts