BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to do it without creating a CEL light on the dash? If so, how do I go about deactivating them and safely removing them?

Please no harping on removing safety features of the car, I know the risks. Most of the cars I have owned did not have them........

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Will the new pillars not fit over the bags? I have a reset tool just in case you need it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I would try various resistor values until the light goes off, try something ~2 ohms, seems to work for other BMW cars

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Just wire in a resistor, Tim. They sell them on eBay or you can make your own. Ask me how I know.

As for removing them, disconnect the battery, then unbolt and pull them out. At least, that's how I know some have done it.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the PM's and thoughts!

The new A Pillars should fit fine, I am just worried about IF they went off with them installed. I did build them so that the speakers were below the airbag, but I would rather be safe and not have them going off then to have them explode and take some of the speakers and fiberglass with them creating a nice blanket of shrapnel.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
double post, sorry

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
IIRC there were 5'ers that came w/o the head airbags (early production models). Im sure it can be coded out. Question is will it actually let you.

It might depend on which airbag and/or general module revision you have (I have only done it once, just to see), but the short answer is: yes.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, it was confirmed last night that I do have to deactivate the airbags. So if someone can point me in the direction of where the connector for the airbag is that would be great! I will then attempt to solder in some resistors.....

Thank you gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Ok, it was confirmed last night that I do have to deactivate the airbags. So if someone can point me in the direction of where the connector for the airbag is that would be great! I will then attempt to solder in some resistors.....

Thank you gentlemen.

The bright yellow ones...cant miss them. Disconnect the battery first (both terminals, and touch them together).

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am being told that the dash has to be removed to get to the wiring for the A Pillar air bags. Is there a way to trace it down to the footwells? Does anyone know the wire colors for them? I REALLY don't want to pull my dash.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
all airbags use BRIGHTLY colored connectors, yellow or orange are the only colors i've seen. IIRC, the wiring tends to stand out, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts