BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add a 3mm spacer and inquired about getting Longer Studs. This is the response i got and wanted to know if it was correct...
Hi Sam,
If you're only going out 3mm, you may not need the longer bolts. That is, as long as you have enough threads making contact as you screw in the bolts. Per the H&R guide, you want a minimum of 6.5 turns for a 12x1.5 bolt. That equates to approx. 10 mm of load bearing shaft length.

As far as the longer bolts go, we just sell the H&R bolts. We don't stock the bolts, but rather order them and sell them with the spacers. Also, if you're looking for a nice looking polished bolt head, the H&R ones aren't shinny, but rather a natural color that would be best covered by some sort of hub cap if you are looking for show quality.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I went throught the same thing on the M3. The info you have is correct. To be on the safe side get your own torque wrench and check it the first week and then every few thousand miles thereafter until you're satisfied it'll be OK.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have called Tire Rack 3 times and spoke to customer service. They told ME they could not sell spacers seperate from the wheels??

By luck i did find someone ther who would sell them for like $12.95 a piece!:thumbsup:

Talk to this guy:

Clay at (888)-541-1777 ext 206 or by direct email at [email protected] :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ocean-Side M5 said:
I am going to add a 3mm spacer and inquired about getting Longer Studs. This is the response i got and wanted to know if it was correct...
For those who are having trouble ordering the 3mm spacers from Tire Rack, the correct part number is TR358. That will get you a 5 on 120 3mm spacer with a 74.1mm centerbore. They are $12.00 each. Having the correct Tire Rack part number may make your Tire Rack associate more comfortable selling them to you. I bought mine from Luke at x362.

As for needing longer wheel bolts, the answer is yes. I just did an experiment by installing a Tire Rack 3mm spacer under my rear wheel and used a stock BMW wheel bolt. I was able to get it to turn slightly more than 4.75 turns to a final torque of 88 lb-ft. That's 1.75 turns too few and, since the thread pitch is 1.5mm, it's about 2.6mm too short.

I do have a 4-wheel Brembo brake kit installed, so there is a slight chance that Brembo designed a 0.5mm to 1mm spacer into the hat. But I don't think that's the case and it's certainly not 2.6mm! I'll check into this tomorrow and get back to you.

Barring a revelation from Brembo, it's my opinion that you would be well served to use wheel bolts which are 5mm longer than stock. (That's a commonly available size.) There's plenty of room behind the front hub flange, so you could get away with using much longer bolts up front. In back, there's a clearance issue with the parking brake assembly, but the extra 2mm should not come in contact with anything.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Whers Greg--> We need scientific input...lol

Can you imagine what would happen if the Tire guy at some point in the future mixed up the bolts!:crying: :crying:

I wouldn't mind a counter-sunk F on the Front Lug Bolts...At a glance I could have peace of mind that they were all correct:thumbsup:

Can i gat an ><>AMEN<>< :hihi:

By the way----->My Lugs are chromed>...?

·
10,445 Posts
Sam,
I got my 3mm spacers and a set of 3mm longer lug bolts from luke at tire rack. He was familar with the mod, there was no questions about it (also ordered a set of 275/35 pilot sports (oe viper). The lug bolt heads were not black, but i painted them and they look fine.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Motatti------------> I am having my wheels chromed needed to acquire not only longer, but Chromed as well. I have located a place in Huntington Beach Called PrestigeWheel

I will be calling them today to get prices. :thumbsup:

Is there any tram-lining that you have experienced?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
mottati said:
Sam,
I got my 3mm spacers and a set of 3mm longer lug bolts from luke at tire rack. He was familar with the mod, there was no questions about it (also ordered a set of 275/35 pilot sports (oe viper). The lug bolt heads were not black, but i painted them and they look fine.
I'm painting mine black as I write this. The smell from the first coat is permeating my office! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave-----------> I have measured the OEM lugs and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. If i start at the bottom of the cone, I get 26 mm. The Only size Prestige has is 28mm and I'm not sure it will be enough. The next size they have is a 39 mm shank.

Can i get your expert measuring skill for a moment?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ocean-Side M5 said:
Dave-----------> I have measured the OEM lugs and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. If i start at the bottom of the cone, I get 26 mm. The Only size Prestige has is 28mm and I'm not sure it will be enough. The next size they have is a 39 mm shank.

Can i get your expert measuring skill for a moment?
Stock is 24mm shank. So the 28mm should be more than fine for your 3mm spacer.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
YIPEEE! It worked. Ordering 3mm spacers from Tire Rack, that is. When I tried back in June, they said I had to buy wheels too!

Thanks Dave and Sam (for the contact, phone #, part number, and secret handshake ;) ).

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Search = Chrome Lug Bolts

ELEVENS said:
YIPEEE! It worked. Ordering 3mm spacers from Tire Rack, that is. When I tried back in June, they said I had to buy wheels too!

Thanks Dave and Sam (for the contact, phone #, part number, and secret handshake ;) ).:thumbsup:
That's great ELEVENS----------->Maybe one day you will make it to TWELVES...:hihi: :cool: :p

ALso I found a place that sell Chrome 30 mm Shaft length, 17 mm head, Lug bolts 12x1.5

MC MOTOR SPORTS

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yeah, I'm a happy camper too... Thanks Luke (and those with the magic words on this board). BTW, if you are thinking about ordering them yourself, save yourself some trouble and ask for Luke directly.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
got 'em

Ordered the 3mm spacers for my rear Brembos/stock wheels. Placed the order on Wednesday, they were at my door on Thursday. $12 each. Lovin' it! Thanks again, fellas.

:thumbsup: -Bill

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ocean-Side M5 said:
Got my spacers too------->Curious, they don't look like they will center themselves. will they?
They sure will. It's a very snug fit.

B

·
0 Posts
Dave,
Would you know how one can tighten the parking brake. It seems to only fully engage when I pull the handle up to 75 degrees?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
BeastPower said:
Dave,
Would you know how one can tighten the parking brake. It seems to only fully engage when I pull the handle up to 75 degrees?
How many clicks do you hear when you pull the handle up? It should be fully engaged after just 4 or 5 clicks. If it takes more than that, you need to adjust it.

To adjust the parking brake, you'll want to release the parking brake, then remove both rear wheels and the rear calipers and rotors. That will expose the parking brake assembly which has the following parts:

Exploded view of the M5 parking brake

Notice the toothed cylinder at the bottom of the picture. Using a screwdriver, turn the cylinder a few clicks until you notice if it is getting longer (expanding) or shorter. You want it to get longer. After pushing it about 10 clicks, try to fit the rotor over the parking brake. If it goes on easily, remove it again and turn the wheel further. Keep doing this until you can no longer slide the rotor over the parking brake. At that point, turn the cylinder a few clicks in the opposite direction until you can, once again, easily slip the rotor over the parking brake assembly. Repeat the process for the other side.

Now, pull up on the parking brake lever. It should feel much tighter and only go up 4 or 5 clicks.

Here's a picture of the parking brake installed:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My spacers showed up the next day (great service from TireRack). I finally had time to put them on today and all I can say is "why did I wait so long?" I can't believe 3mm of aluminum can make that much difference! The tram-lining is all but gone and the car feels more stable. The best news is that there is no shimmy so the wheels must be seated fully on the hubs. I'm SOOO happy! Thanks everyone :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts