BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the subframe for oil pump replacement. I have everything unbolted, the 6 bolts came out pretty easily. The left side alignment pin (part of the rear bolt) is stuck. I have the steering box out and I'm smashing a 2x4 with a 5lb flathead axe right in the middle of the valley where the power steering pump goes, right next to the alignment pin and it won't budge. I'm hitting it with all the force I can one handed and deforming the 2x4. Any tips? My next move is to sawzall between the frame rail and the subframe and cut the alignment pin off.
Attached is pic of the area in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I ended up removing the unstuck side completely and just aggressively wiggled it back and fourth in all directions while wedging a screw driver in the stuck side. I won in the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Removing them is a real mare, the 2 lugs seem to fuse together and won't let go, i broke on on mine and had to drill out from the leg and get a new collar turned and welded onto the subframe, how much damage did you do before wiggling it free ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing them is a real mare, the 2 lugs seem to fuse together and won't let go, i broke on on mine and had to drill out from the leg and get a new collar turned and welded onto the subframe, how much damage did you do before wiggling it free ?
Simon, I got lucky. Greg from AAS warned me about this tactic so I was very wary of “ripping it up” however it was the only way to get the guide pin out. It was rust free and solid. I reassembled with anti-seize just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts