BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first time posting/M5 and need some help. I just bought a 2006 E60 M5 and need to replace passenger side HI beam. What do I need to buy? I have looked but want to make 100% sure I buy the right bulb. I think I need the Xenon bulb with ignition element??? Help??????...

Is this all I need?

2006-2010, 2013-2014 BMW M5 Headlight Bulb - Body Electrical - Sylvania, Low Beam, High Beam and Low Beam 06-10, 13-14 M5 Headlight Bulb - 18800-01003179 - PartsGeek

-Chris
Thanks For the Help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
High beam or flash to pass? Are your low beams out too? Just wanted to be sure since you may be mistakening your flash to pass as high beam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low beams work fine but when I pull back on the lever for HI/Bright beams only the driver side will get brighter... The flash beans both work fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ah, it sounds like a different problem altogether. I am guessing no iDrive errors either?

It sounds like either your solenoid in the projector has failed or is simply stuck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
um? haha what would you do? If the bulb was out would the low beam also be out as well? sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first BMW

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, that is correct, if it's the bulb, your low beam wouldn't work either.

Now, as far as what you can do... if it's the solenoid being stuck, you can try to take the headlight out, remove the HID bulb, and see if you can stick something through their and push down on the metal release flap. See if you can get it to move down. If it does, you either unstuck the solenoid, or it is actually a mechanical failure (after you reinstall the light and find that it still doesn't work).

Unfortunately, you can't exactly replace the projector by itself without opening the headlight. So it's either that, or buy a replacement headlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a normal issue with the M5 headlights? If it is do you know of any DIY threads to fix this problem? I'm going to pull out the headlight again tomorrow and see what I can find this time. Thanks for all the help I hope its just stuck! Keeping the fingers crossed ha but thanks again for all the information

·
Registered
296 Posts
M5 headlights are the same as other xenon headlights, no difference there. It's not really a common issue, as I haven't come across anyone else that had the problem. However, in the world of xenon projectors, this happens from time to time.

And unfortunately, because E60 headlights are permasealed, there's really no DIY short of cutting open the headlight to repair the problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Low beams work fine but when I pull back on the lever for HI/Bright beams only the driver side will get brighter... The flash beans both work fine.
Pulling back on the turn stick is for flash to pass lights ( the inboard lamps) vs the push turn stick for high beams

What are you have issue with?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts