BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone...

I recently bought a 2000 E39 M5 and am in the process of getting her ready for daily driving duties. I've got a CEL and went to pull the codes with my Peak reader (OBD1). The thing is, the codes tell me to use table 16, but that sends me to table 11 and none of the codes are present within the list. So, does anyone know what these codes correspond to? Maybe my Peak reader manual has a misprint or I'm reading things incorrectly.

Here are the codes in the order as they appear:

AA

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, figured out my error.

Table 1b non 16

and my codes are (in case anyone else sees this in the future)

69 - Engine coolant temperature, Plausibility
AA - Secondary air system, flow too low
42 - EWS interface

I've seen the coolant tempt seemingly too low so i was planning on addressing that along with a coolant system overhaul.

The EWS system is on the blink so I need to do a delete or replace the ring sensor (more troubleshooting needed)

the Secondary Air Pump....anyone have one for sale? i need that fixed for smog asap...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
1.) You probably need a new t-stat, possibly a bad temp sensor.
2.) The AA code is not for the air pump! It's because the passages in the head(s) are clogged with carbon. There is no easy way to correct the issue physically. The best option is to have it coded out.
3.) When you have the AA code turned off, you could have the EWS deleted. That said, the code could be random and not come back again.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I also got a PM too with some very useful info as well.
You guys are awesome on the E39 side. I’ve owned my E60 M5 for nearly a decade now but I’m pretty new to this platform.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts