BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just got a call with a quote for $2500 for a clutch replacement.:eek:h:
This seems completely outrageous to me.

I called BMW NA on 2/1 and explained my situation, and asked that they look into it and let me know what they are willing to do. I have not heard back from the rep at all. Needless to say I'm pissed. I've printed out almost 20 pages of info about the clutch on the M5 and faxed it to the SA I'm dealing with (since he claims he's only heard of 1 other M5 ever needing to have the clutch replaced!!) :nono:

Does anyone have the name of a contact person at BMW NA that I can speak to, preferably someone higher up, about this? (I recall seeing a name on the forum, but can't seem to find it with a search query).

Is there anything I can demand from the dealer, besides a breakdown in price...and a deep discount for being a faithful customer?

I've been driving manuals for 17 years, and have NEVER toasted a clutch, so I'm perplexed as to how this has happened on a car with 24k miles that's only driven 1-2 times/week (no racing, lighting up the tires, etc). I believe it's a faulty design, as many have pointed out, but how can I convince them of this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lsdvm said:
The SA I'm dealing with (since he claims he's only heard of 1 other M5 ever needing to have the clutch replaced!!) :nono:
...what a load of b****cks. I know at least 3 M5s that have toasted their clutches and thats just round here.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Your're not alone, lots of M5s go through clutches quickly. I had one replaced at 16,000miles....I dont beat on the car and I have a truck that I got 170,000 miles out of (the clutch). They covered the clutch under warranty though so I didn't really complain. I've heard avg clutch life on the M5 is about 40,000. Good luck, maybe they will warranty it for you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do BMW dealers globally know something we dont??? (would be a first... )

The dealers all over the world are quotiuong ridiculous prices for parts and servicing... as if today is the last day to make money!!!!!

I must admit - that this forum knows a lot more about BMWs and beasts - than any dealer in the world!!!!

In the UK BMW are quoting around £800 for a clutch replacement - allowing for the great dollar rate at the moment thats still abt $1500...

You're being ripped off! grrrrrrr

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a known design defect that BMW tries not to acknowledge. If you have a good dealer (I know, pretty funny, huh) they can get it covered. I blew mine at 35K and got it covered under warranty. Don't take no for an answer. If they ultimately make you pay, you might want to upgrade to the UUC clutch. Its built to withstand the hp but has a stiffer feel (I'm told).

Also, check out Greg's shifting videos; they will prolong your clutch life. Sorry, no URL but you can search this site.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Thanks guys

I do have the videos from Greg on my desk top...haven't looked at them yet though. But I agree with you all, the price is outrageous. I refuse to get rap-d by them...did call BM NA and found out that my case has been bumped up for review...not sure what the hell that means!

Now the wait begins.... zzzzz

Did talk to my SA who says the Tech "team leader" didn't find anything besides the clutch affected (SAC mechanism, rear main seal, diff, etc)...just that flywheel needed to be replaced, and disc was blue from overheating...

Not sure they knew where else to look, personally.
As someone above said, the wealth of knowledge here is unsurpassed...too bad I only know 2 people on this forum who ACTUALLY work for a dealership.

Manny, Rob, maybe you can comment on this price I'm being quoted!!!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
As Lscman pointed out in the past, it is very difficult to show that the SAC has failed since they usually fail in a "soft" fashion meaning that it results in uneven pressure distribution of the pressure plate. This can and will result in slipping and overheating. If you know you haven't slipped the clutch in any major way, it is likely that the SAC is at fault. Sometimes the SAC gives clues such as a very high engagement and/or a "clinking" sound when the clutch is activated.

Your SA is either lying or extremely inexperienced with E39 V8 cars. My 2002 540i/6 had an SAC failure with only 3200 miles on it. They had to pull the tranny and replace the entire clutch pack. My 2001 M5 is exhibiting symtoms of a coming SAC issue right now -- the engagement has become very high up in the pedal travel, essentially almost all the way out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I was working within the dealer network, we were given a BMW press car to demo (1999). Everyone that qualified for insurance HAD to drive it (maybe 30 different members if staff). Needless to say it needed a clutch and flywheel @ 2,000 miles before it went back to BMW GB!

BMW are fully aware of the weakness, even if your guy isn't.
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I had mine replaced at 17k miles and Crevier of Santa Ana did it without any discussion what so ever. Because this dealer sells so many M5's there were very aware of the weakness and took care of it no questions asked.

I have not had any issues with the second one with 44k miles showing to date.

Mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
I replaced my clutch after only driving 7k miles, and i purchased it from Open Road BMW in Edison NJ. They also charged me $2200.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lsdvm said:
Hi guys, I just got a call with a quote for $2500 for a clutch replacement.:eek:h:
This seems completely outrageous to me.
Unless they're also replacing the flywheel (why?) the price is absolutely bogus. I replaced my clutch yesterday (!) and got quite a few quotes before doing so.
Have a look at www.realoem.com - the clutch kit is about $400. Labour should be around 7h = $700. The Stealers quoted me between $1500 and $1800.

I got my done at www.BavarianImports.net for just over $1000, since my 100K warrentee (conveniently) doesn't cover the clutch.

I would put up a fight or go to another dealer?
Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey lsdvm,

What year is your car and how many miles? What dealer are you using?

I bought my '03 new from World Wide in Spring Valley, NY (only about 20 miles from you) and they replaced my clutch when it failed @ 17,000 miles with no hassles.

Their service has been great and they were obviously aware of the problem so someone from BMW is lying to you if they say this problem does not exist.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can say that i know of one allso and his repair was arround 2000 euro in germany. I dont have a E39 M5 yet, but might have one later next week, but i have heard that the clutch is very sensitive becourse of the high NM, compaird to the E34 M5 witch i just chance - yes the clutch om arround same price.

M5BHP said:
...what a load of b****cks. I know at least 3 M5s that have toasted their clutches and thats just round here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
M5nLovinIt said:
Unless they're also replacing the flywheel (why?) the price is absolutely bogus. I replaced my clutch yesterday (!) and got quite a few quotes before doing so.
Have a look at www.realoem.com - the clutch kit is about $400. Labour should be around 7h = $700. The Stealers quoted me between $1500 and $1800.

I got my done at www.BavarianImports.net for just over $1000, since my 100K warrentee (conveniently) doesn't cover the clutch.

I would put up a fight or go to another dealer?
Good luck!
Concerning the $400 price of the clutch kit, is that standard OEM prices? Does anyone know of any dealerships that offer BMW parts at a discount? I did a search and found some online links, but don't know how it relates in cost to full retail.

Through NSXprime, I was able to find an Acura dealer that gave a 30% discount and free shipping all day long which was nice. Hoping to find that here as well because $1000-$2500 is a HUGE range for the same service. It's nice to know where to get the parts cheaper than your mechanic does. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
jlindy said:
Does anyone know of any dealerships that offer BMW parts at a discount?
I heard that www.pacificbmw.com has very low prices. Also, you can usually get 10-15% off if you have a BMWCCA membership. Membership is only $40 per year - which pays for itself very quickly...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Follow up...

mricorp said:
Hey lsdvm,

What year is your car and how many miles? What dealer are you using?

Hey Mricorp - I currently use Difeo BMW in Tenafly NJ. They actually called me late last Friday to say the car was fixed, but they are waiting to hear who will pay. Should that have fixed it without me authorizing anything? Thankfully they kept the parts for BMW regional rep to look at. The car is an '01 with 24k miles on it.

I've been to the Spring Valley dealership...went fro Fast5's last meet...which was awesome. Haven't been there for service. Waiting to hear from BMW as to what they decide. I'll keep you all posted...and my fingers crossed, as I've heard these things could go either way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts