BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just coming home a minute ago when my car threw a SES code and all of a sudden the engine felt really rough and shook a bit in low gear. It happened right before i got home so I didn't have to drive far.

Got out of the car and could notice a sound coming around the passenger side, sort of like it was an off faint knock sound.

I turned the car off checked oil levels to make sure they were fine. I don't have a code reader to pull the codes yet unless there is one at wal mart or something that is universal I can pick up.

I waited about 5 minutes turned the car back on and the noise and SES light went away and the engine was sounding normal again even with some minor Revs.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what might have happened or what I could be looking at. Of course I know without a code reader it's kind of hard, but just wondering since the light just went off again. I plan on driving it later tonight and see if it throws the SES again.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It sounds as you had a misfire in one of the cylinders. It has happen to me once and it has never happened again. Coils may be the culprit or bad plugs.

Reactions: Stack

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds as you had a misfire in one of the cylinders. It has happen to me once and it has never happened again. Coils may be the culprit or bad plugs.
It's really weird. I think you might be right. I just drove the car all night and on the way home I drove it nice and hard and it was just like normal. Might do a check on the plugs and stuff.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
It's really weird. I think you might be right. I just drove the car all night and on the way home I drove it nice and hard and it was just like normal. Might do a check on the plugs and stuff.
Could also be a CPS starting to go bad. When the exhaust one goes bad, the car usually starts sounding funny too, the exhaust starts sounding flat, or "blatty".

Resetting the car by ignition on/off should mean it is not a mechanical component like a spark plug, which you would expect to be either working or not.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Could also be a CPS starting to go bad. When the exhaust one goes bad, the car usually starts sounding funny too, the exhaust starts sounding flat, or "blatty".

Resetting the car by ignition on/off should mean it is not a mechanical component like a spark plug, which you would expect to be either working or not.
Regards,
Jerry

Totally agree.

(You will now find that procrastinating on the peake reader will cost you $50 to expedite the unit to you for a Sat delivery! :) )

The code is stored and will remain in memory. I predict perhaps VANOS codes, misfires, and a CPS code.

GL report back

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up guys. Maybe I can find someone with a peake reader here in Houston just to run a report for me real quick so I can see.

I'm hoping it's nothing to crazy. Yeah it had a rough idle as well as the exaust sounding a bit funny.

Am I looking at a costly fix (lol of course it's costly it's an M5 but in relative terms of price)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. Maybe I can find someone with a peake reader here in Houston just to run a report for me real quick so I can see.

I'm hoping it's nothing to crazy. Yeah it had a rough idle as well as the exaust sounding a bit funny.

Am I looking at a costly fix (lol of course it's costly it's an M5 but in relative terms of price)
Do a search for "blatty exhaust"...

Probably an exhaust CPS sensor... about $100 per, plus an hour to pop them in. Just parts replacement, nothing hairy.

If it IS the CPS, welcome to the club- pretty common and not a real worry.

A

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do a search for "blatty exhaust"...

Probably an exhaust CPS sensor... about $100 per, plus an hour to pop them in. Just parts replacement, nothing hairy.

If it IS the CPS, welcome to the club- pretty common and not a real worry.

A
Yeah I have read a lot on this board about probably everything that could go wrong. That's the first thing I was thinking when I started to have that issue.

Might not have done a lot of work on the car yet but read enough to get a simple idea from everyone on this helpful board.

I guess I will look into going to get a reading done maybe at autozone while i am ordering my peake reader.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For sure get a peake code reader. It will save you a lot of worry and you will know instantly what is wrong with your car.

I bet its CPS unit. I just replaced one this week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts