BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've replaced the front two traction struts (with bushing) and one of the two control arms, but the second control arm (passenger side) is giving me a problem. When I insert the ball joint of the new control arm up through the wheel assembly and begin to turn the nut with my 22mm wrench, the entire ball joint is turning with the nut, so the nut isn't screwing on. When this happened with the other arms, I placed my floor jack underneath the arm and pushed it up, and the joint would no longer turn. Not with this final one, though; it keeps turning no matter what I try.

Any suggestions?? I'm frustrated to be 90% done with this project and then get stuck on something like this.

This is on an E39 540i, but the ball joint issue should be consistent with an M5.

Thanks!
DDB

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I figured it out.

The ball joint bolt that goes up through the hub assembly has a hexagonal whole on top that could be used for support with an allen wrench while turning the nut. Much easier than I thought.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: Nevermind, I figured it out.

DDB540 said:
The ball joint bolt that goes up through the hub assembly has a hexagonal whole on top that could be used for support with an allen wrench while turning the nut. Much easier than I thought.
You beat me to it! Congratulations. I trust the rest of the installation will go smoothly.

How many miles on your car? Were you replacing the traction strut and wishbone because the bushings were shot or becuase you had free play in your ball joints? Or both?

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

DZeckhausen said:
You beat me to it! Congratulations. I trust the rest of the installation will go smoothly.

How many miles on your car? Were you replacing the traction strut and wishbone because the bushings were shot or becuase you had free play in your ball joints? Or both?
Thanks, Dave. I'll finish things up tonight.

My car has about 78K miles. Each traction strut had a small amount of back and forth play, which I attributed to worn out bushings. The control arms seemed fine, but since I was renting the 'special tool' anyway, and the control arms are fairly inexpensive, I decided to do it all at once.

~ DDB

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

DDB540 said:
My car has about 78K miles. Each traction strut had a small amount of back and forth play, which I attributed to worn out bushings. The control arms seemed fine, but since I was renting the 'special tool' anyway, and the control arms are fairly inexpensive, I decided to do it all at once.
It's surprising to me that such expensive looking aluminum suspension pieces are priced as low as they are. When I first looked at the traction strut and realized it was a "consumable" item, I said "uh, oh!" Then I got a Pacific BMW price quote (which I can no longer remember) and the price was about 1/3 what I thought it would be.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

DZeckhausen said:
It's surprising to me that such expensive looking aluminum suspension pieces are priced as low as they are. When I first looked at the traction strut and realized it was a "consumable" item, I said "uh, oh!" Then I got a Pacific BMW price quote (which I can no longer remember) and the price was about 1/3 what I thought it would be.
I was also surprised. I got all four pieces (2 control arms, 2 traction struts) with nuts and bolts from Pacific BMW for around $500.

~ DDB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts