BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been many discussions about what type of engine oil to use, but I am stuck between 2.

I called one dealer and their mechanic shop suggests BMW 5w30 synthetic
Avus auto suggests the same.

I called another dealer and their shop uses 10w60 for all M cars.

I have 87k miles. Which route should I go. And my car does not burn oil. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks all... Happy holidays...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... 10w60 it is.. In that case Avus auto and pacific BMW should do themselves a favor and fire themselves. I can't believe I listened to idiots. I've been using 5w30 for 4 years now.. Hope it won't be an issue with the engine.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the dilemma. I chame my oil every 3k. If the car did burn oil I wouldn't even know. People would argue hay 5k is minimum, I spent my $ so I changed every 3k. So I kind of stuck..

The question is, is there any harm to the engine if I change now to 10w60

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The only way is to get an oil analysis. My 03 with 60k burns Mobil 5w30 at about a quart every 1k.

That's the dilemma. I chame my oil every 3k. If the car did burn oil I wouldn't even know. People would argue hay 5k is minimum, I spent my $ so I changed every 3k. So I kind of stuck..

The question is, is there any harm to the engine if I change now to 10w60

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the real question is, do I switch to 10w60, or continue with 5w30

·
Registered
147 Posts
So the real question is, do I switch to 10w60, or continue with 5w30
You are in LA so cold viscosity is not a problem, either will do just fine. If you track the car or hit the limiter often, the "60" will be a better bet than 30, on normal driving I seriously doubt there is any difference. There are about a million different opinions about this stuff so this just represents my 50c. Everything has been said already in the link above, it is a pretty long read hiha

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
TWS is the best option. I went through 5W-30 at about a qt every 1,000 miles ... absolutely no loss with TWS. I change my oil at ~7,500 miles.
those arguments tick-me-off

no offense rtowell - you mean well by it, it's just it reminds me of all the people that made consumption their sole reason for choosing their oil - it basically implies:

-that people should put the wrong oil in - so long as they don't burn it up like they would the right oil

to the OP:
5W30 is not exactly the wrong oil - but it is thin - it's up to you and a UOA to determine if it's acceptably thin

10W60 is the oil the M5 was meant to use so you could go form:
>home >to> autobahn >to> nurburgring >to> autobahn >to> home

BUT - you can also use it in warm climates so you can put your foot in it whenever you want worry-free

members use thinner oils & usually it makes sense if you're not always at 6000-7000RPM & outside the recommended climate range for 10W60 oil
(even when driving spiritedly - it make sense to max out at 6600rpm peak power)
(and that doesn't mean drive at <2000rpm all the time, just keep in mind thinner oils will obviously provide less protection at the higher temperatures like the 10W60 does)

*the one thing that is a exception imo is the VANOS gears - i've been told they need the 10W60 and it makes sense - all the nightmare stories when the cars where being recommended with 5W30 - that and the system was set up a bit loose from factory hence the need for a thicker oil*

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I vote for 5W50 Mobile 1 Supersyn or 5W50 Castrol Syntec ftw!!!!

It really depends on how long your drives are and the conditions in which the vehicle is being driven.

A 5W or even 0w will allow the oil to more quickly get to optimal operating temperature where it protects your engine the best.

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
I vote for 5W50 Mobile 1 Supersyn or 5W50 Castrol Syntec ftw!!!!

It really depends on how long your drives are and the conditions in which the vehicle is being driven.

A 5W or even 0w will allow the oil to more quickly get to optimal operating temperature where it protects your engine the best.
is it hard to come by 5W50 in canada? not listed on the either u.s. or canada website - any info?

CANADIA
Mobil 1 15W-50 Value
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 131.2
cSt @ 100º C 18.1
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 154

Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 4.50
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 235
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.87
US
Mobil 1 15W-50
SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 18
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 125
Viscosity Index 160

Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.5
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 232
Density @15.6º C g/ml ASTM D4052) 0.87

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since there are about a million oil threads, the stckied one reaching biblical lenghts, a really short version addressing all the main points would be really helpful for any newcomers. Recommendations, reasons, main deviations from recommendations and their benefits etc.

Official recommendations:
10W-60 TWS Castrol = BMW M approved, what the engineers built the engine to use
5W-30 Castrol = BMW M approved, what the marketing wanted the car to use because it was available in more places, big difference in viscosity to the TWS

Other weights widely used and the reasons for doing so:
0W-40 oils = Not M approved, especially for extreme winter conditions because their start-up qualities are superior to thicker oils. Not optimal for track use
5W-50 oils = Not M approved, compromise between 0W-40 and 10W-60, not the best in anything but has no big drawbacks either

Something along those lines. I understand the "aaargh another oil thread"- sentiment fully but do we really want to force everyone through the painfully detailed huge oil thread? It's there for the true aficionado but for others, lets make it simple, eh? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
is it hard to come by 5W50 in canada? not listed on the either u.s. or canada website - any info?

CANADIA

US
Hi John,

It is available everywhere.

M1 5w50 is actually very similar to TWS.

SAE Grade 5W-50
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 105
cSt @ 100ºC 17.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 153
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
HTHS Viscosity, mPa-s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 4.22
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -51
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236​
Density @15 ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.859

In 2008, I bought several 5L jugs of M1 5w50 from Walmart. It was on sale and so I bought everything. I have used all of that up now and have switched to 5W50 Castrol Syntec because it was on sale and is readily available at Canadian Tire(huge big box chain store) and also Partsource owned by Canadian Tire.

I have been quite happy with both. I'm one of the lucky ones whose engine doesn't consume oil.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
I read through that sticky once and my head was hurting after reading it.
All you have to do is read the first post after that - its up to you if you need to use an oil other than 10w60

Hi John,

It is available everywhere.

M1 5w50 is actually very similar to TWS.
thanks, based on the grade it's actually closer to XW40 oils than a 10W60 - i think the viscosity would have to be in the 20 cSt @100C range to be close to a TWS

all are pulled straight from the manufacturer's data sheets or pdf letters like the one you attached

Edit: actually the liqui/lubro moly 0w40 is from an email the company sent and the Bmw 5w30 is from "ard"

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Since there are about a million oil threads, the stckied one reaching biblical lenghts, a really short version addressing all the main points would be really helpful for any newcomers. Recommendations, reasons, main deviations from recommendations and their benefits etc.

Official recommendations:
10W-60 TWS Castrol = BMW M approved, what the engineers built the engine to use
5W-30 Castrol = BMW M approved, what the marketing wanted the car to use because it was available in more places, big difference in viscosity to the TWS

Other weights widely used and the reasons for doing so:
0W-40 oils = Not M approved, especially for extreme winter conditions because their start-up qualities are superior to thicker oils. Not optimal for track use
5W-50 oils = Not M approved, compromise between 0W-40 and 10W-60, not the best in anything but has no big drawbacks either

Something along those lines. I understand the "aaargh another oil thread"- sentiment fully but do we really want to force everyone through the painfully detailed huge oil thread? It's there for the true aficionado but for others, lets make it simple, eh? :dunno:
+1 !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts