BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
1) Is there anyway I can install an Ipod player in my 2000 M5?? If yes, can anyone on the board tell me where I can get the parts to do so??
2) I'm also thinking about upgrading my old Nav system to the NAV TV. Can someone tell me where I can the parts online and what new parts do I need to complete the upgrade??

Thanks in advance!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Dont know about #2.

#1 has a few components.

1- how to get the audio in. The easiest way is via a fm modulator- its also the lowest sound quality way. Especially if you live in a highly populated area. After that, I think you can get a cassette adaptor. And further down the line would be to open up the head unit and splice right into the line out for the cassette output. Just keep in mind that this line out uses a higher voltage than the ipod can put out so youll need a signal amplifier, but nothing too powerful.

2. where to mount the ipod. This can be affected by #1. There are many products to mount the ipod- check out belkin.

I think there is a company called ice-link or something like that which tries to interface the ipod. Ive heard good things.

Going further down the path- if you want to redo your whole control system, Alpine has an ipod interface for their head units- but now you are talking about replacing the entire front end of your entertainment/ nav system and youd have to buy the alpine nav system too.... (btw- its a good system)

·
10,445 Posts
I recently retrofitted sirius to my 00 M5, and in the process it is very easy to add an aux input to plug in an ipod. I added the aux input at the same time, but do not have an i pod yet.
To get any of this, you need to update your trunk mounted radio unit to a late model unit. For sirius, you also need a later dvd nav computer. It depends on how far you want to go. Look at www.bmwnav.com for more info, or i can try to answer any more specific questions. On my system, when i press the 'Mode" button, it toggles thru radio, cd changer (which is actually my phatbox, in my case), sirius, AUX and tape. The aux input is 3 wires, whose pins plug into the radio harness. You can lengthen the harness (its maybe 3 ft from bmw) and put the aux input up in the center console area, for easy access (that is my eventual plan).
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts